Fogged up cycling glasses

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chris Heys, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    Now that the days are getting colder, my cycling glasses (Bloc Stealths - excellent by the way) are
    starting to fog over when I stop at lights. Once motion is resumed they clear up after 10secs or so,
    but it's still a pain that they fog in the first place.

    Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Chris Heys wrote:
    > Now that the days are getting colder, my cycling glasses (Bloc Stealths - excellent by the way)
    > are starting to fog over when I stop at lights. Once motion is resumed they clear up after 10secs
    > or so, but it's still a pain that they fog in the first place.
    >
    > Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris

    I was given "Fog Buster" by my optician(*) but haven't used it as it states "not effective on
    anti-reflective coated lenses". So if yours are anit-reflec there might not be anything.

    (*)who gave it to me while noting down a prescription for a new pair with, you guessed it,
    anti-reflective coated lenses ;-)

  3. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,

    I used to smear the inside of my motorcycle visor with diluted washing up liquid, it destroys the
    surface tension of the water droplets that cause the misting.

    Experiment with the bathroom mirror that mists up to convince yourself of the benefits.

    Vernon In Leeds

  4. Marc

    Marc Guest

    > Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?

    Polish the inside with fairy liquid, spit or a potato

  5. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Chris Heys wrote:
    > Now that the days are getting colder, my cycling glasses (Bloc Stealths - excellent by the way)
    > are starting to fog over when I stop at lights. Once motion is resumed they clear up after 10secs
    > or so, but it's still a pain that they fog in the first place.
    >
    > Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris

    Yes I have experienced it. I just slide them down my nose for 10 seconds and look over the frame
    until they have demisted.

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chris Heys wrote:
    > > Now that the days are getting colder, my cycling glasses (Bloc Stealths - excellent by the way)
    > > are starting to fog over when I stop at lights. Once motion is resumed they clear up after
    > > 10secs or so, but it's still a pain that they fog in the first place.
    > >
    > > Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > Chris
    >
    > Yes I have experienced it. I just slide them down my nose for 10 seconds
    and
    > look over the frame until they have demisted.

    I'd agree with this option, I find that any scratches, solvent or contaminants on the lens might be
    OK during the day, but at night it's totally different, with street lamps and car lights playing
    havoc with anything less than perfect lenses.

  7. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Chris Heys must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Now that the days are getting colder, my cycling glasses (Bloc Stealths - excellent by the way)
    > are starting to fog over when I stop at lights. Once motion is resumed they clear up after 10secs
    > or so, but it's still a pain that they fog in the first place.
    >
    > Does anyone else experience this? Any anti-fog agents I could try?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris
    All the anti fog stuff I have tried affects the optical quality more than its worth, although I have
    now got some motorcycle visor stuff which seems ok, someone decanted some into a bottle for me so I
    cannot tell you what it is at the moment.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  8. Madone

    Madone New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    washing up liquid as above works every time
    :D :D :D

  9. "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I was given "Fog Buster" by my optician(*) but haven't used it as it
    states
    > "not effective on anti-reflective coated lenses". So if yours are anit-reflec there might not be
    > anything.

    I find that a/r coatings are fog inhibiting anyway as long as you don't use a *cloth* to clean them,
    (and instead rub the surfaces with lens cleaner and rinse off with cold water).

  10. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I was given "Fog Buster" by my optician(*) but haven't used it as it states "not effective on
    >> anti-reflective coated lenses". So if yours are anit-reflec there might not be anything.
    >
    > I find that a/r coatings are fog inhibiting anyway as long as you don't use a *cloth* to clean
    > them, (and instead rub the surfaces with lens cleaner and rinse off with cold water).

    They certainly clear more quickly.

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Madone <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > washing up liquid as above works every time :D :D :D

    Or just pull them away from your face while you are stopped, as you see skiers do with their goggles
    while they are waiting to start.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Zaphod

    Zaphod Guest

    Madone <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > washing up liquid as above works every time :D :D :D

    Yup. Wash lenses in dilute solution (no suds)- leave to dry then polish.

    Works a treat. z

  13. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    On 3 Nov 2003 05:10:56 -0800, [email protected] (zaphod) wrote:

    >Madone <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> washing up liquid as above works every time :D :D :D
    >
    >Yup. Wash lenses in dilute solution (no suds)- leave to dry then polish.
    >
    >Works a treat. z

    Cheers, I'll try the much recommended washing up liquid method. Failing that, the 'Skier Start'. :)

    Thankyou, Chris