Foinaven and Srath Dionard

Dave Moore

Guest
Hi All,
I'm toying with a trip up to the far north west and having a look at
walks and peaks in the area. I quite liked the look of taking in Foinaven
(amongst others) but from the reports I'm seen, it's quite a trek for a
single day excursion from the A838. I noticed that there's a track to the
north-east along Srath Dionard and wondered whether this track was good
enough to ride a mountain bike on to reduce the trek from the road. Does
anybody know what the condition of that track is?.

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for areas/peaks I should visit
whilst I'm up that way?.

Ta,
Dave

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:53:09 +0100, "Dave Moore"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ...along Srath Dionard and wondered whether this track was good
> enough to ride a mountain bike on to reduce the trek from the road.

I can't remember whether the surface is good enough to be bikeable,
but I do remember thinking that I would never walk back along that
track again if I could possibly help it. It seemed endless.

If I was going again to that wonderful area I would see if a linear
route including both Foinavon and Arkle was feasible - I doubt it
would be more knackering than doing Foinavon from the north and then
back via Srath Dionard.

--
Pete Bland

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Moore <dave_m_moore
@post2me.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>I quite liked the look of taking in Foinaven
>(amongst others) but from the reports I'm seen, it's quite a trek for a
>single day excursion from the A838.

A few years ago, I did a round of Arkle and Foinaven from Rhiconich.
There's a good track on the north side of the Rhiconich River for about
2km. Then there's 4km of very rough ground before the rocky slopes of
Arkle. From Ceann Garbh, the last top on Foinaven's main ridge, the
original track can be regained a short distance from Rhiconich, going
over a minor lump, Cnoc Liath, in the process.

Although this is a long route over demanding terrain, I found it quite
reasonable for a summer outing. It's a spectacular walk with great
views, and you can see the whole route more or less all day.

I am surprised not to have seen the route recommended on the web or in
guide books which invariably suggest an A to B and messing about with
two cars (not much use to the solo walker). From the map, a round from
Rhiconich looks like the obvious way of walking the two hills.
--

Russ Clare

Used the Srath Dionard route to climb Foinaven last year. We were
given a lift in the rear of a pick up with the gammie. The vehicle
was driven by one of the part owners of the estate who was accompanied
by his wife both elederly. They were off to do some fishing in the
River Dionard. (still there when we passed them on our return). The
track is cycleable as there wasn't much bouncing about in the back of
the pickup.

They were happy to see walkers )and I presume cyclists) although they
did point out that stalking was commencing the following week. I was
already aware of that as I had already phoned the Estate.

Worth checking the stalking arrangements first before setting out. We
were there mid to late August.

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

Lindsay wrote:

>Used the Srath Dionard route to climb Foinaven last year. We were
>given a lift in the rear of a pick up with the gammie. The vehicle
>was driven by one of the part owners of the estate who was accompanied
>by his wife both elederly. They were off to do some fishing in the
>River Dionard. (still there when we passed them on our return). The
>track is cycleable as there wasn't much bouncing about in the back of
>the pickup.
>
>They were happy to see walkers )and I presume cyclists) although they
>did point out that stalking was commencing the following week. I was
>already aware of that as I had already phoned the Estate.

There is a sign on the gate by Gulain house implying that cycles are
not welcome. Since it has no basis in law you may ignore it.

From Scottish Outdoor Access Code:

What you can do under access rights

2.6 You can exercise access rights for recreational purposes, some
educational activities and certain commercial purposes, and for
crossing over land and water.

2.7 “Recreational purposes” is not defined in the legislation. It is
taken to include:

... pastimes, such as watching wildlife, sightseeing, painting,
photography and enjoying historic sites;
... family and social activities, such as short walks, dog walking,
picnics, playing, sledging, paddling or flying a kite;
... active pursuits, such as walking, cycling, horse riding and
carriage driving, rock climbing, hill-walking, running, orienteering,
ski touring, ski mountaineering, caving, canoeing, swimming, rowing,
windsurfing, sailing, diving, air sports and wild camping; and
... participation in events, such as walking or cycling festivals, hill
running races, mountain marathons, mountain biking competitions,
long-distance riding events, orienteering events and canoeing
competitions.