Folate, DHA and Aggression

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by NWCurandero, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. NWCurandero

    NWCurandero Guest

    Researchers from the National Institutes of Health in the US report
    that animal studies have already shown that dietary folate can increase
    tissue concentrations of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a fat thought to
    protect against heart disease and also depression and mental disorders.

    But no human studies have examined the possibility that folate status
    may affect plasma DHA concentrations.

    The team carried out a retrospective study on 15 normal and 22 hostile
    and aggressive subjects, with a mean age of 38 years.

    Concentrations of plasma polyunsaturated essential fatty acids and red
    blood cell folate were obtained prior to 1996, before American flour
    was enriched with folate.

    Folate was significantly correlated with plasma DHA in the aggressive
    group, they report in an advance online issue of the European Journal
    of Clinical Nutrition (doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602321).

    Age, smoking and alcohol consumption did not alter the results. No
    other essential fatty acids were significantly associated with RBC
    folate in either group.

    "The positive relationship between plasma DHA and RBC folate
    concentrations suggests that these two nutrients should be examined
    together in order to make the most accurate inferences about their
    relative contributions to disease pathogenesis," concluded the
    researchers.

    "Our findings present one explanation why some conditions associated
    with hostility and low DHA status, such as cardiovascular disease and
    emotional disorders, are also associated with low folate status," they
    added.

    Links:

    http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp?n=64191-folate-dha

    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/1602321a.html

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16278690&dopt=Citation

    Tags:

  2. TC

    TC Guest

    By far, the best source of folate in the diet is liver.

    Folate Content of Food

    http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/folate.html

    Item Folate (mcg)
    Liver, chicken, 3.5 oz cooked 770
    Liver, beef, 3.5 oz cooked 220
    Blackeyed peas, boiled, 1 cup 210
    Lentils, 1/2 cup cooked 179
    Beans, white, boiled, 1/2 cup 144
    Black eye peas, 1/2 cup cooked 120
    Broccoli, cooked, 1 cup 104
    Spinach, cooked, 1/2 cup 103
    White pasta , 1/2 cup cooked 98
    Flour tortilla, 10" diameter 88
    Collard greens, ckd ,fresh 1/2 cup 88
    Romaine lettuce, 1 cup 76
    Orange juice, 1 cup 75
    Fresh spinach, 1 cup 58
    Wheat germ, raw, 2 Tbl 50
    Tofu, 1/2 cup 55
    Papaya cubes, 1 cup 53
    Vegetable juice, 1 cup 51

    TC

    NWCurandero wrote:
    > Researchers from the National Institutes of Health in the US report
    > that animal studies have already shown that dietary folate can increase
    > tissue concentrations of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), a fat thought to
    > protect against heart disease and also depression and mental disorders.
    >
    > But no human studies have examined the possibility that folate status
    > may affect plasma DHA concentrations.
    >
    > The team carried out a retrospective study on 15 normal and 22 hostile
    > and aggressive subjects, with a mean age of 38 years.
    >
    > Concentrations of plasma polyunsaturated essential fatty acids and red
    > blood cell folate were obtained prior to 1996, before American flour
    > was enriched with folate.
    >
    > Folate was significantly correlated with plasma DHA in the aggressive
    > group, they report in an advance online issue of the European Journal
    > of Clinical Nutrition (doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602321).
    >
    > Age, smoking and alcohol consumption did not alter the results. No
    > other essential fatty acids were significantly associated with RBC
    > folate in either group.
    >
    > "The positive relationship between plasma DHA and RBC folate
    > concentrations suggests that these two nutrients should be examined
    > together in order to make the most accurate inferences about their
    > relative contributions to disease pathogenesis," concluded the
    > researchers.
    >
    > "Our findings present one explanation why some conditions associated
    > with hostility and low DHA status, such as cardiovascular disease and
    > emotional disorders, are also associated with low folate status," they
    > added.
    >
    > Links:
    >
    > http://www.nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp?n=64191-folate-dha
    >
    > http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/1602321a.html
    >
    > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16278690&dopt=Citation

  3. montygram

    montygram Guest

    This is epiphenomenal. I've cited studies before about "arachidonate
    cascade mania" and similar disorders. It is the arachidonic acid that
    is the root cause, for those on a diet high in omega 6 polyunsaturates.
    If you eliminate that, except in trace amounts, you eliminate all
    these problems and don't have to mess with a dangerous substance like
    DHA. See, for example:

    Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998 Apr 17;245(2):487-9. Related Articles,
    Links

    Oxidation of individual fatty acids yields different profiles of
    oxidation markers.

    Visioli F, Colombo C, Galli C.

    Institute of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy.
    [email protected]

    Free radicals attack lipid molecules and initiate a chain of reactions
    that may trigger several diseases such as atherosclerosis and cancer.
    Several markers of oxidative stress have been proposed, including
    measurements of lipid peroxides and short-chain aldehydes levels and
    evaluation of conjugated diene formation. Although it is generally
    assumed that fatty acid oxidizability is directly proportional to their
    degree of unsaturation, little is known about the contribution of
    individual fatty acids to each of these markers. We investigated such
    contributions in a model of AAPH-mediated peroxidation of individual
    fatty acid micelles by assessing several indices of oxidative stress.
    The results suggest that the generation of oxidation products by
    individual fatty acids is not directly related to their degree of
    unsaturation and indicate that the differential contribution of
    individual fatty acids should be taken into account and more than one
    marker of lipid peroxidation should be included in in vivo studies of
    oxidative stress.

    The saturated fatty acid, as one would expect, had little activity.
    The MUFA, oleic, showed reasonable activity with one chemical marker.
    What is interesting is that EPA wasn't that bad, considering its high
    degree of unsaturation, though they didn't measure every marker
    possible, just the most common ones. It's even more interesting
    because in a recent study, EPA was found to be very immunosuppressive,
    even compared to DHA, AA, etc. The structure of the fatty acid seems
    to be a key role, as AA's high reactivity seems to be related to how
    the double bonds are situated when the molecule is "bent."

  4. MattLB

    MattLB Guest

    montygram wrote:
    > This is epiphenomenal.

    What is?

    > I've cited studies before about "arachidonate
    > cascade mania" and similar disorders. It is the arachidonic acid that
    > is the root cause, for those on a diet high in omega 6 polyunsaturates.
    > If you eliminate that, except in trace amounts, you eliminate all
    > these problems and don't have to mess with a dangerous substance like
    > DHA.

    How is DHA dangerous if *low* levels of it are linked to aggression?
    How is it dangerous in molecular level detail?

    > See, for example:
    > Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998 Apr 17;245(2):487-9. Related Articles,
    > Links
    >
    > Oxidation of individual fatty acids yields different profiles of
    > oxidation markers.

    This paper has nothing to do with the original folate/DHA statement nor
    your anti-arachidonic acid crusade, so why are you citing it?

    > The saturated fatty acid, as one would expect, had little activity.

    Vague and inaccurate again. "Activity" is the wrong word. What the
    paper does show, however, is that saturated fatty acids can produce
    oxidation byproducts.

    > The MUFA, oleic, showed reasonable activity with one chemical marker.

    What does that mean? You don't have "activity" with a marker, a marker
    tells you "activity" is present or has occured.

    > What is interesting is that EPA wasn't that bad, considering its high
    > degree of unsaturation, though they didn't measure every marker
    > possible, just the most common ones.

    LOL. You're the one always saying how useless and unscientific markers
    are and now you're trying to preserve your "fish oil = toxic" position
    by saying they didn't look at enough of them.

    > It's even more interesting
    > because in a recent study, EPA was found to be very immunosuppressive,
    > even compared to DHA, AA, etc.

    What's that got to do with susceptibility to oxidation?

    > The structure of the fatty acid seems
    > to be a key role, as AA's high reactivity seems to be related to how
    > the double bonds are situated when the molecule is "bent."

    That's not mentioned in the paper, so it's pure guesswork on your part.
    You also seem to have missed the part where they point out that things
    may be very different in the body compared to their experimental
    assays.

    MattLB