Foldable bike for vacation

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Before I had the injury to my leg, I was considering of buying a foldable bike that I can bring along when we go on vacation. There's a place here called Baguio City where most of the roads are inclined that are fit for a challenging ride for the bikers. However, that plan did not materialize although I already have a budget of $200 for the not so classy brand. My question is this - how dependable and durable is a foldable bike as per your experience? I am asking this because I have heard a conversation in Hongkong that the foldable bike is problematic with the pedals. The guy was carrying a foldable bike on the train ride.

I have a foldable bike and to me it's not very useful it has small wheels I can't get anywhere using it. It's only good if your going to use it for short distances.

It depends on how you transport your bike from places to other places. Like when using a train you have no space for your bike if it is full of passengers so it is really convenient to have a foldable bike although when you see the price is a little bit priceless. For me I like to have a bike like that because I always carry my bike often other than riding it. It is also amusing when somebody in the street just folding the bike and it is entertaining.

Making a bike foldable add some parts not needed on a regular bike.
Like hinges, clasps, extra long stem/steerer tube and seat post.
A (slightly) special gearing system to compensate for the smaller wheels.
And, for that extra bit of stowing friendliness, a folding pedal or two.
This means your money has to stretch further to get the job done compared to when buying a regular bike.
Trying to buy a cheap folder just about always end up in a bike that’s either heavy, flexy or both.
I wouldn’t worry particularly over the pedals. Unless you need the folding type, they’re easily replaced.

Reactions: steve
They're not particularly durable but you can have some parts replaced, and if you're planning to use the bike mainly justs for vacation purposes then I think you can make do with a foldable bike. You can easily bring them with you and you won't use it that often so even if they're not as durable as regular bikes, they are still serviceable for a good amount of time.

I have a foldable bike and to me it's not very useful it has small wheels I can't get anywhere using it. It's only good if your going to use it for short distances.

I don't have that type of bike, but my friend has got the foldable bike which is really good when one is using it to go for some short distances. It is always pretty difficult when we use it to ride on long distances for it will make our ankle become sore.

The foldable bikes here in my country are just good for kids, one good thing about it is that it doesn't take up so much space, it can easily fit at the trunk of my car whenever we bring it to the province during summer vacations.

There are different kinds of foldables and I know that there are some mountain bikes which are foldables too, but here it's very rare. What we have here are small foldables ideal for kids it's the size of a regular BMX bike and some are bigger but they have smaller wheels.

Honestly, never had one before, but my cousin which is a way better rider, knows for sure those are just for short distances, on easy roads, with not extreme weather conditions, so based on the fact you only want it for vacation purposes, then I guess you will be fine with a foldable one. What I really don't know is how expensive/cheap they can be, compared to a basic regular one, so you would have to check if it's good to make an investment on a foldable or a regular bike.

I think foldable bike is not for long travel and just for short distance travel, and it's really hard to use it in baguio, The roads in baguio in not necessary good for foldable bike much better to walk I think instead of using foldable bike in baguio.

If there's a foldable bike model with wheels as big as a mini Mtb or a regular one then I might consider buying one and put it inside my trunk but I haven't seen one, although I know that in other countries there are those who have modified their MTB's so that they can fold it in half. Although there's also some disassembly and assermbly needed, that's why I'm not too eager to buy or use one anytime soon.

Honestly, never had one before, but my cousin which is a way better rider, knows for sure those are just for short distances, on easy roads, with not extreme weather conditions, so based on the fact you only want it for vacation purposes, then I guess you will be fine with a foldable one. What I really don't know is how expensive/cheap they can be, compared to a basic regular one, so you would have to check if it's good to make an investment on a foldable or a regular bike.
It depends on how you transport your bike from places to other places. Like when using a train you have no space for your bike if it is full of passengers so it is really convenient to have a foldable bike although when you see the price is a little bit priceless. For me I like to have a bike like that because I always carry my bike often other than riding it. It is also amusing when somebody in the street just folding the bike and it is entertaining.

It depends on how you transport your bike from places to other places. Like when using a train you have no space for your bike if it is full of passengers so it is really convenient to have a foldable bike although when you see the price is a little bit priceless. For me I like to have a bike like Dafont 192.168.1.1l FileHippo that because I always carry my bike often other than riding it. It is also amusing when somebody in the street just folding the bike and it is entertaining.

Sorry to say but a new folding bike for $200 is not going to be even close to being durable! The only low price folding bike that I would even remotely suggest is the B'twin Tilt 120 folding bike, and that one puts you right at $210, but I'm not sure if they'll send a bike to any country, you would have to contact them. There are a couple of more that cost a bit more than your target price, there is the Raleigh Stowaway for about $440, and the Dawes Diamond for about $350; the Dawes is only a 3 speed, the others I mentioned are 7 speeds. Those 3 bikes are the lowest costing ones I would dare to buy.

There "might" be another option that maybe because of where you live you can get it cheaper than we can in the states, and that is the Giant Expressway, it cost us about $630, but maybe you can find for less where you're at? if so that's the one I would get without spending more for something super nice.

Of course I mentioned American dollars and prices for the American market, so your prices could be different, hopefully less!

Oh, a foldable bike, how innovative and groundbreaking. I'm sure it will completely revolutionize your biking experience. And of course, you're going to use it in Baguio City, where the inclined roads will be a breeze to conquer with your budget-friendly, not-so-classy brand.

As for the reliability and durability of foldable bikes, well, I'm sure they're built to last, just like a house of cards in a hurricane. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with a bike that can be folded into a compact size, right? It's not like the hinges will break or the frame will snap in half after a few uses.

But hey, if you're willing to take the risk and potentially end up with a useless piece of metal, then go ahead and buy that foldable bike. After all, it's not like you have anything better to spend your $200 on. And who knows, you might even start a new trend in Baguio City - the foldable bike fad! Just be prepared for the disappointment and the endless cycle of buying new foldable bikes every few months. Good luck with that! ;)