Foldable / carriable bike trailer

DynV

Sep 9, 2012
I have a ~175 Km (108.74 mi) ride with added load which I unfortunately can't make in 1 run ; where I stay at an acquaintance's for a bit. If it was on a week vacation, I could camp about half-way but since most of the times I only have a few days, I make it in 1 day by commuting part of it. I don't have a car driving permit, so renting a car is out of the question ; anyway that would make expensive trips. Very fortunately, a good proportion of buses at the periphery of the metro system have bike racks.

So I take public transportation up to a manageable point, which make the remaining part ~115 Km (71.46 mi). A good portion of that ride is on gravel and the total ascent is ~1070 m (1170.15 yd). Up to now I've put the extra load in satchels (on racks). There's definitively a loss of speed, most likely from the crushed rock, and I wonder how much of that is caused by the added load. For the moment I weigh 97 Kg (213.85 lbs) but I assume I weigh less when I pick up biking when it's not so cold anymore. I've been adding an extra load of ~15 Kg (33 lbs) because I don't want it too hard on myself & my bike ; but I'd likely add more if it was easier to do so, with a trailer. Keep in mind I could take off the racks, saving a bit of weight there. Comparison of a trailer and racks & satchels:
  • Able to add more load with same or less strain
  • More chance to fall, if the trailer tip
  • Less chance to have a flat
  • Easier to reach an object of extra load
  • Easier to carry by itself
  • Harder to carry with bike, satchels can be hanged on the handle bar

Of course since I take commuting bus (without under-cabin luggage compartments), the trailer need to easily & safely (I shouldn't hurt he other passengers) get inside it. I've looked at a couple foldable bicycle trailer and the best I found was the Burley Travoy, which pages are currently Travoy®, Gray & Travoy®, Yellow ; both in Commute Trailer. They weight 9.8 lbs (4.4 Kg).

Please make suggestions, give tips or feedback
Thanks