folded up tyre ?!?!?

pineapple

Oct 3, 2003
I just ordered a tyre from a website which shall remain nameless and it darn well arrived all folded up and warped! I just want to check that this is NOT how its supposed to be done, before I send it back and demand a refund, and go somewhere to buy a round tyre.

It's not circular, not straight (more like a pringle than a disc), and the separation of the rims varies hugely. In one place theres a great big fold in the rim that I cant straighten out.

Originally posted by pineapple
I just ordered a tyre from a website which shall remain nameless and it darn well arrived all folded up and warped! I just want to check that this is NOT how its supposed to be done, before I send it back and demand a refund, and go somewhere to buy a round tyre.

It's not circular, not straight (more like a pringle than a disc), and the separation of the rims varies hugely. In one place theres a great big fold in the rim that I cant straighten out.
There are alot of kevlar bead clincher tires. That is the way they are.If it's the right size, put it on the rim and inflate it.

Originally posted by boudreaux
There are alot of kevlar bead clincher tires. That is the way they are.If it's the right size, put it on the rim and inflate it.

You mean it's supposed to be warped?? It's not just because they folded the thing?

It's not just because they folded the thing?

well thats the question, b is assuming not, as would i, put it on the rim and it should be fine, it should be folded, but still round

Give us the name and model of the tire. We'll tell you if its supposed to be that way.

Just to note: Kevlar beaded tire are also called foldable tires. Steel wire beaded tire keep there shape and won't fold up.

The kevlar beaded (foldable) tires will come from the factory all folded into a small box.

Originally posted by fushman
well thats the question, b is assuming not, as would i, put it on the rim and it should be fine, it should be folded, but still round
Yeah, if it's a wire bead and it's kinked,then it's buggered.

It's a Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase

It wasn't folded nicely into a box. It was mangled up like a hairtie and strapped togethr with masking tape.

I slapped it on the rim and it doesn't really sit well. The height of the bead thingies over the wheel rim isn't uniform so it won't be circular. Also if you look at the wheel from above, the centre 'strip' doesn't seem to go straight along the wheel.

It's a Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase

It wasn't folded nicely into a box. It was mangled up like a hairtie and strapped togethr with masking tape.

I slapped it on the rim and it doesn't really sit well. The height of the bead thingies over the wheel rim isn't uniform so it won't be circular. Also if you look at the wheel from above, the centre 'strip' doesn't seem to go straight along the wheel.
It's a wire bead tire. It should not have been folded.They can be 'looped' and tied to fit into a smaller package,but I have never gotten on of that type that was actually folded.

New tires dont always fit older rims if thats the case. Put 150psi in her and if it stays,it will work,hopefully.

Well I've posted a question about it on the Bontrager website. Let's see what they say, shall we?

I just ordered a tyre from a website which shall remain nameless and it darn well arrived all folded up and warped!...

"D*mn thing is warped! Why do I always get a warped one!"

They folded a wire bead tire? Not good. They can be coiled into three overlapping loops. But they should not be folded. I'd send them back.

Originally posted by shokhead12
New tires dont always fit older rims if thats the case. Put 150psi in her and if it stays,it will work,hopefully.
That kind of 'advice' is worse than hooey. The rest of the day in the corner with the dunce hat on for you.

Originally posted by Gonzo Bob
"D*mn thing is warped! Why do I always get a warped one!"

They folded a wire bead tire? Not good. They can be coiled into three overlapping loops. But they should not be folded. I'd send them back.

Er.. I think maybe coiling is the better word for what they did. But there is one kink that looks quite evil in the side of the tyre. What's the difference between coiling and folding?

Er.. I think maybe coiling is the better word for what they did. But there is one kink that looks quite evil in the side of the tyre. What's the difference between coiling and folding?

Snakes & garden hoses coil. Water still passes through a coiled hose. Fold it over and the water flow is cut off.

lol ok I do know what coiling and folding are, I just didn't know tyres could be folded up like that!! In that case it was coiled.

Right.

Looks like 24 hours sitting on a rim has ironed the tyre out a bit. The big kink is now just a bend, and the tyre itself is almost circular.

I've bunged it on the wheel permanently now, and the bead-rim distance is almost uniform and the tread runs almost straight. So I'll ride it and see...

The tire tread may never run perfectly straight down the middle of the tire.

Originally posted by boudreaux
That kind of 'advice' is worse than hooey. The rest of the day in the corner with the dunce hat on for you.
Really? You think wheelsets are the same over the last 20 years or so? I think you best do some reading. New tires wont stay on older wheelsets. Or is it old tires wont fit on newer wheelsets. Its one of those. Has to do with a lip.Come on,your a smart guy,you should know this.

Originally posted by shokhead12
Really? You think wheelsets are the same over the last 20 years or so? I think you best do some reading. New tires wont stay on older wheelsets. Or is it old tires wont fit on newer wheelsets. Its one of those. Has to do with a lip.Come on,your a smart guy,you should know this.
700c Clinchers are the same!!!....!!! 27" hasn't changed either. Both have been around over 20 years. He could be dealing with either,depending on what his rims are, as the Bontragers come in both sizes...You need to do the reading!! If the tire is the wrong size or type, you do not throw it on,overinflate and hope for the best!! Ever consider the result if the tire blows off or rim fails going down a fast hill?? No skin off your lame behind is there??... The 27" stuff had some straight wall rims with no lip which were not suitable for for pressures over about 80 PSI,maybe less. A google search is a wonderful tool.Try using it before flapping pie hole. Back to the corner dude....