folder recommendations for a clydesdale?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cashrefundman, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on airplanes without it costing $160 round
    trip ( or $90 on southwest ).

But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100 Kg. Especially of those really really long
    seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?

The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as standard baggage?

thanks

CRM

Tags:

2. Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs Guest

>I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on airplanes without it costing $160 round
    >trip ( or $90 on southwest ).
    >
    >But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100 Kg. Especially of those really really
    >long seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?
    >
    >The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as
    >standard baggage?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    >CRM

http://www.r-m.de/english/1_katalog/frame.html

Check out the Birdie. I saw one and I was impressed. I would ride it and I am over 100 kg.

jon isaacs

3. Jeff Wills

Jeff Wills Guest

cashrefundman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on airplanes without it costing $160 round
    > trip ( or $90 on southwest ).
    >
    > But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100 Kg. Especially of those really really
    > long seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?
    >

While not a true "folding" bike, the Bike Friday bikes would be your best bet. Since each one is
    custom-fit to the rider, your size (which is nearly the same as mine) is not a problem. Check them
    out at http://www.bikefriday.com

Jeff

4. x

x Guest

RE/
    >The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as
    >standard baggage?

I'm fooling around with one now.

From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't figured out if 24 x 28 x 10 would be
    as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26 x 10 boxes available. e.g.
    http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

5. Tbgibb

Tbgibb Guest

6. Tbgibb

Tbgibb Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> writes:

>From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't figured out if 24 x 28 x 10 would
    >be as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26 x 10 boxes available.

The standard method is to measure the three dimensions and add them. In practice they often have a
    chain that is the total allowable length. So anything that adds up to no more than 62 should be ok.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

7. Fred Roses

Fred Roses Guest

I have flown many times with my S&S Bilenky as ordinary baggage. So far it has not been opened and
    inspected by airport security, but I dread that possibility, because reclosing the suitcase properly
    is rather tricky. The only downside to a coupled bike is that it invariably takes me an hour to
    assemble it, much longer than it would take a "true" folder like the Birdy or Airnimal or Friday.

8. Rocky

Rocky Guest

Bike Friday. www.bikefriday.com. My wife and I both have them and love them. I rode it in Norway,
    Spain, and France last year, including up Mt. Ventoux for stage 14 of the tour - took me 4 hours
    and Lance set a new record of 58 minutes. 13 miles and 6000 ft. elevation gain - grade is 9-11%
    most of the way.

Bike Friday have built bikes for NBA stars at 7 ft. and 300 lbs.

Rocky

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as standard
    > >baggage?
    >
    > I'm fooling around with one now.
    >
    > From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't figured
    out if
    > 24 x 28 x 10 would be as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26 x
    > boxes available. e.g. http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
    > -----------------------
    > PeteCresswell

9. Billcotton

Billcotton Guest

http://www.boatingchannel.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/bikes/index.html I have an older model of the
    Montague mountain bicycle model that I am happy with for my 195 pounds.

--
    // Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
    [email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //
    www.billcotton.com

"Rocky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bike Friday. www.bikefriday.com. My wife and I both have them and love them. I rode it in Norway,
    > Spain, and France last year, including up Mt. Ventoux for stage 14 of the tour - took me 4 hours
    > and Lance set a new record of 58 minutes. 13 miles and 6000 ft. elevation gain - grade is
    9-11%
    > most of the way.
    >
    > Bike Friday have built bikes for NBA stars at 7 ft. and 300 lbs.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    >
    > "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > RE/
    > > >The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as standard
    > > >baggage?
    > >
    > > I'm fooling around with one now.
    > >
    > > From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't
    figured
    > out if
    > > 24 x 28 x 10 would be as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26
    x
    > 10
    > > boxes available. e.g. http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
    > > -----------------------
    > > PeteCresswell

10. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

11. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

"cashrefundman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

> I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on
    airplanes
    > without it costing $160 round trip ( or $90 on
    southwest ).
    >
    > But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100
    Kg.
    > Especially of those really really long seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?

I'm not sure they get around baggage charges -- but check out Montague:

http://www.montagueco.com/

They're very sturdy, reasonably priced, and work extremely well. They're popular with boaters. If
    you want more speed, just put some slicks on, and maybe play with the gearing a bit.

> The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a
    bike really be
    > carried as standard baggage?

Yes. I've seen them stuffed into a large suitcase. It takes some assembly and careful packing, but
    it's not too bad.

If you're feeling spendy you might check out the new Ritchey Breakaway:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/babmain.htm

It's a cleaner design than an S&S coupled bike. It comes with a fitted case, all ready to go. Of
    course, you'd have to make a lot of trips for this bike to pay for itself. I'd be pretty happy with
    it as my one and only road bike though.

Matt O.

12. x

x Guest

RE/
    > The only downside to a coupled bike is that it invariably takes me an hour to assemble it, much
    > longer than it would take a "true" folder like the Birdy or Airnimal or Friday.

Another possible downside is the larger box.

I wound up pacing the halls of Frankfurt airport once for about 8 hours. Something got lost in
    transmission and the folks who met me didn't bring a vehicle with enough room for the bike box. This
    was a box for a full-sized frame - no couplers - so it was pretty big...but the Coupler-compliant
    boxes don't look that small to me...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.