folder recommendations for a clydesdale?

Cashrefundman

Guest
I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on airplanes without it costing $160 round
trip ( or $90 on southwest ).

But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100 Kg. Especially of those really really long
seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?

The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as standard baggage?

thanks

CRM

>I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on airplanes without it costing $160 round
>trip ( or $90 on southwest ).
>
>But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100 Kg. Especially of those really really
>long seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?
>
>The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as
>standard baggage?
>
> thanks
>
>CRM

http://www.r-m.de/english/1_katalog/frame.html

Check out the Birdie. I saw one and I was impressed. I would ride it and I am over 100 kg.

jon isaacs

cashrefundman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on airplanes without it costing $160 round
> trip ( or $90 on southwest ).
>
> But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100 Kg. Especially of those really really
> long seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?

While not a true "folding" bike, the Bike Friday bikes would be your best bet. Since each one is
custom-fit to the rider, your size (which is nearly the same as mine) is not a problem. Check them
out at http://www.bikefriday.com

Jeff

RE/
>The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as
>standard baggage?

I'm fooling around with one now.

From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't figured out if 24 x 28 x 10 would be
as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26 x 10 boxes available. e.g.
http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

In article <[email protected]>, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> writes:

>From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't figured out if 24 x 28 x 10 would
>be as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26 x 10 boxes available.

The standard method is to measure the three dimensions and add them. In practice they often have a
chain that is the total allowable length. So anything that adds up to no more than 62 should be ok.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

I have flown many times with my S&S Bilenky as ordinary baggage. So far it has not been opened and
inspected by airport security, but I dread that possibility, because reclosing the suitcase properly
is rather tricky. The only downside to a coupled bike is that it invariably takes me an hour to
assemble it, much longer than it would take a "true" folder like the Birdy or Airnimal or Friday.

Bike Friday. www.bikefriday.com. My wife and I both have them and love them. I rode it in Norway,
Spain, and France last year, including up Mt. Ventoux for stage 14 of the tour - took me 4 hours
and Lance set a new record of 58 minutes. 13 miles and 6000 ft. elevation gain - grade is 9-11%
most of the way.

Bike Friday have built bikes for NBA stars at 7 ft. and 300 lbs.

Rocky

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as standard
> >baggage?
>
> I'm fooling around with one now.
>
> From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't figured
out if
> 24 x 28 x 10 would be as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26 x
10
> boxes available. e.g. http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

http://www.boatingchannel.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/bikes/index.html I have an older model of the
Montague mountain bicycle model that I am happy with for my 195 pounds.

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
[email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

"Rocky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Bike Friday. www.bikefriday.com. My wife and I both have them and love them. I rode it in Norway,
> Spain, and France last year, including up Mt. Ventoux for stage 14 of the tour - took me 4 hours
> and Lance set a new record of 58 minutes. 13 miles and 6000 ft. elevation gain - grade is
9-11%
> most of the way.
>
> Bike Friday have built bikes for NBA stars at 7 ft. and 300 lbs.
>
> Rocky
>

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > RE/
> > >The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a bike really be carried as standard
> > >baggage?
> >
> > I'm fooling around with one now.
> >
> > From what I hear, the magic numbers are 26 x 26 x 10. I haven't
figured
> out if
> > 24 x 28 x 10 would be as acceptable...but there are a number of 26 x 26
> 10
> > boxes available. e.g. http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_hard.htm
> > -----------------------
> > PeteCresswell

"cashrefundman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I would love to have a bike that I could take with me on
airplanes
> without it costing $160 round trip ( or $90 on
southwest ).

> But I am leary of a tiny folding bike - I am 1.9M and 100
Kg.
> Especially of those really really long seatposts. What are my best choices in folding bikes?

I'm not sure they get around baggage charges -- but check out Montague:

http://www.montagueco.com/

They're very sturdy, reasonably priced, and work extremely well. They're popular with boaters. If
you want more speed, just put some slicks on, and maybe play with the gearing a bit.

> The other option would seem the SIS couplers. Can such a
bike really be
> carried as standard baggage?

Yes. I've seen them stuffed into a large suitcase. It takes some assembly and careful packing, but
it's not too bad.

If you're feeling spendy you might check out the new Ritchey Breakaway:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/babmain.htm

It's a cleaner design than an S&S coupled bike. It comes with a fitted case, all ready to go. Of
course, you'd have to make a lot of trips for this bike to pay for itself. I'd be pretty happy with
it as my one and only road bike though.

Matt O.

RE/
> The only downside to a coupled bike is that it invariably takes me an hour to assemble it, much
> longer than it would take a "true" folder like the Birdy or Airnimal or Friday.

Another possible downside is the larger box.

I wound up pacing the halls of Frankfurt airport once for about 8 hours. Something got lost in
transmission and the folks who met me didn't bring a vehicle with enough room for the bike box. This
was a box for a full-sized frame - no couplers - so it was pretty big...but the Coupler-compliant
boxes don't look that small to me...
PeteCresswell