Folder Weight Limits

I am considering buying a folder. Possibly a Dahon Speed or a Brompton.
I see on Dahons specs the max rider weight is 105 kg. That is my weight
right now to within a Kg or so.
I'll be OK with the Dahon then. Do any of the Brompton owners
hereabouts know if what max rider weight Brompton specify if any?
Heightwise I'm about 6ft 3 any tall riders had to get longer than
standard seatposts for either make?

Iain

[email protected] wrote:
>I am considering buying a folder. Possibly a Dahon Speed or a Brompton.
>I see on Dahons specs the max rider weight is 105 kg. That is my weight
>right now to within a Kg or so.
> I'll be OK with the Dahon then. Do any of the Brompton owners
>hereabouts know if what max rider weight Brompton specify if any?
> Heightwise I'm about 6ft 3 any tall riders had to get longer than
>standard seatposts for either make?

I'm 6'3" and found a Brompton practically unrideable with a standard
seatpost, much better with the optional long one. Dahon was usable
but a little bit shorter than I would have liked.
But those were just short test rides, and recent Dahons might have
slightly longer seatposts as standard now.
(I don't know about weight limits, but the local Bromptonmonger didn't
ask how heavy I was before letting me taking it for a test ride, and
I'm not a lot lighter than you. I tried a Birdy too, which has a long
seatpost as standard.)

[email protected] a écrit :
> I am considering buying a folder. Possibly a Dahon Speed or a Brompton.
> I see on Dahons specs the max rider weight is 105 kg. That is my weight
> right now to within a Kg or so.

I'm also at limit weight for my Dahon and have been having problems with
the front wheel, which continuously blows its inner tubes. People in
this froum do not believe that this is related to my overweight, but I
can't dislodge the idea that it may be, especially because there is
often an incident of adding extra load to the bike (for example asking
it to take my lunch pack into work) just before one of these blow-outs,
which seem to have something to do with the wheel spokes overwhelming
the rim tape.

So keep in mind that your naked weight will be increased on the bike
with brief-case, lunch pack or whatever else you have to bring in, and
that you could be riding overweight, and that at least one Dahon out
there does not seem to like this.

EFR
Ile de France

[email protected] a écrit :
> I am considering buying a folder. Possibly a Dahon Speed or a Brompton.
> I see on Dahons specs the max rider weight is 105 kg. That is my weight
> right now to within a Kg or so.

I'm also at limit weight for my Dahon and have been having problems with
the front wheel, which continuously blows its inner tubes. People in
this froum do not believe that this is related to my overweight, but I
can't dislodge the idea that it may be, especially because there is
often an incident of adding extra load to the bike (for example asking
it to take my lunch pack into work) just before one of these blow-outs,
which seem to have something to do with the wheel spokes overwhelming
the rim tape.

So keep in mind that your naked weight will be increased on the bike
with brief-case, lunch pack or whatever else you have to bring in, and
that you could be riding overweight, and that at least one Dahon out
there does not seem to like this.

EFR
Ile de France
Adoring my Dahon, apart from this nasty glitch

Artemisia wrote:

> I'm also at limit weight for my Dahon and have been having problems with
> the front wheel, which continuously blows its inner tubes.

Thanks for replies. Regarding your blowouts if weight was the problem
would it not be the back wheel which would give most problems?
Iain

[email protected] a écrit :

> Thanks for replies. Regarding your blowouts if weight was the problem
> would it not be the back wheel which would give most problems?

Further research and much help from this forum has revealed that the
blow-out problem is a known glitch on Dahons with Kinetix Aero wheels.
Check out our thread "6th Tube Blows".

So no, it doesn't seem to be weight related, but OTOH it is Dahon
related, so be warned.

EFR
Ile de France

I am 95kg and 6ft 3ish
My Dahon Xp copes very well .It now has a telescopic post from Thor in
usa which cost including postage a fraction of the cost of a plain post
in uk, and the reach extended by a simple 10cm ahead stem from the
cycle jumble.The telescopic stem fits a road stem size ,or mtb stem
with a shim from wiggle.It is a moment to fit and a great effect except
when you wanrt to fold it quickly.
The only size problem I have had is that I have to pump the rear shock
hard to stop excessive bouncing.So not really a problem.
TerryJ