Folding bicycles

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Peter Gardner, May 15, 2003.

  1. I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is $300
    (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college student, and
    I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.

    Specifically, I'm looking for 3-5 speed, internal gearing, with a generator inside the front
    hub, but I'm assuming I'd have to do some significant modifications to get that. I'd actually
    prefer to build the whole thing up from a frame, but I haven't found any folding frames for sale
    on the internet.

    I do a lot of biking, to almost every class, about 45 minutes of recreational riding most days, into
    DC some weekends (an hour each way), occasionally I go home by bike instead of Metro (3 1/2 hours if
    I bike the whole way).

    Any suggestions?

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Re-evaluate your bottom line....

    The figures you provided wouldn't even buy the components, that you mentioned, new and likely not
    used. A top end, very conventional Bike Friday is a couple of thousand US dollars when new.

    Look and the SON dynamo hubs and Sturmey Archer geared hubs.

    "Peter Gardner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is
    > $300 (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college
    > student, and I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.
    >
    > Specifically, I'm looking for 3-5 speed, internal gearing, with a generator inside the front hub,
    > but I'm assuming I'd have to do some significant modifications to get that. I'd actually prefer to
    > build the whole thing up from a frame, but I haven't found any folding frames for sale on the
    > internet.
    >
    > I do a lot of biking, to almost every class, about 45 minutes of recreational riding most days,
    > into DC some weekends (an hour each way), occasionally I go home by bike instead of Metro (3 1/2
    > hours if I bike the whole way).
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Peter

  3. B

    B Guest

    >most I can spend on it is $300

    Good luck. B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  4. Marc Plum

    Marc Plum Guest

    I really like my Bike Friday, but you've pretty much excluded that. So look at
    http://www.dahon.com/. I have no first hand experience with this brand, but I hear they're pretty
    good if you don't need super performance.

    Here is another page with a lot of info on different folding brands. Can't vouch for all the
    information, but it lists a large number of available brands.

    http://www.nordicgroup.us/fold/

    I think in your price range, if you want a generator hub you're going to have to do it yourself, but
    you could buy a Union generator set with the sidewall generator for $40-$50. Or just get a lower end
    rechargeable battery light.

    Hope this helps.

    Marc Plum (Remove SPAMFILTER to reply)

    Peter Gardner wrote:
    > I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is
    > $300 (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college
    > student, and I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.
    >
    > Specifically, I'm looking for 3-5 speed, internal gearing, with a generator inside the front hub,
    > but I'm assuming I'd have to do some significant modifications to get that. I'd actually prefer to
    > build the whole thing up from a frame, but I haven't found any folding frames for sale on the
    > internet.
    >
    > I do a lot of biking, to almost every class, about 45 minutes of recreational riding most days,
    > into DC some weekends (an hour each way), occasionally I go home by bike instead of Metro (3 1/2
    > hours if I bike the whole way).
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Peter

  5. Peter Gardner <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is
    > $300 (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college
    > student, and I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.
    >
    > Specifically, I'm looking for 3-5 speed, internal gearing, with a generator inside the front hub,
    > but I'm assuming I'd have to do some significant modifications to get that. I'd actually prefer to
    > build the whole thing up from a frame, but I haven't found any folding frames for sale on the
    > internet.
    >
    > I do a lot of biking, to almost every class, about 45 minutes of recreational riding most days,
    > into DC some weekends (an hour each way), occasionally I go home by bike instead of Metro (3 1/2
    > hours if I bike the whole way).
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Good luck finding something in that price point. the front dynohub alone is worth about a
    hundred bucks!

    A Brompton T6A meets all your requirements (OK, a bottle generator, but...) and costs "only"
    US$1,087, according to <www.bromptonbike.com>

    For US$ 100-200, you're thinking about getting a Dahon Boardwalk S1 (US$180) but that's a single
    speed, coaster brake model....

    I'd get an UglyBike, used but serviceable, and store it outside. Take whatever necessary precautions
    against rust and theft, and ride. The virtue of the folder I think is in the multimodal transport
    realm--ride to the train station, fold it up, take it with you on the train into town, unfold it,
    ride it away from the station....

    -Luigi

  6. > Good luck finding something in that price point. the front dynohub alone is worth about a
    > hundred bucks!

    I'm pretty sure I've seen one on eBay for much less. I hope.

    > A Brompton T6A meets all your requirements (OK, a bottle generator, but...) and costs "only"
    > US$1,087, according to <www.bromptonbike.com>
    >
    > For US$ 100-200, you're thinking about getting a Dahon Boardwalk S1 (US$180) but that's a single
    > speed, coaster brake model....

    Is the frame at least sound? I could certainly just replace the hub.

    > I'd get an UglyBike, used but serviceable, and store it outside. Take whatever necessary
    > precautions against rust and theft, and ride. The virtue of the folder I think is in the
    > multimodal transport realm--ride to the train station, fold it up, take it with you on the train
    > into town, unfold it, ride it away from the station....
    >
    > -Luigi

    The multimodal thing is one of the three reasons I'm wanting to get one. I'm in College Park, MD,
    but home is in Vienna, VA. I can't bring my bike on Metro during rush hour, and there have been
    times when it would have been _really_ useful to do so.

    To respond to an earlier post, I'd certainly like to raise my maximum price, but I just don't have
    the money. I'll accept donations, of course . . . :)

    Peter

  7. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > Go to eBay and search for a Raleigh 20. The stock version would probably work in a college campus
    > environment. If you want to up grade it or trick it out go to Sheldon Brown's site and take a look
    > at his Twenties.

    =v= Yep, this is what I'd recommend on your budget. You can shave off a lot of weight just by
    upgrading the wheels; then upgrade more when you can afford to.

    =v= It doesn't fold very small, so make sure it complies with the requirements of wherever you're
    bringing it. :^\ <_Jym_>

    Jym Dyer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: __Q ::: [email protected] ::::::::::::::::: "My
    other car is :: ==`\(x :: http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: O-/ `O ::

    "Cyclists have a right to the road too, you noisy, polluting, inconsiderate maniacs! I
    hope gas goes up to eight bucks a gallon!"
    -- Calvin's Dad

  8. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is
    >$300 (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college
    >student, and I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.

    >Specifically, I'm looking for 3-5 speed, internal gearing, with a generator inside the front hub,
    >but I'm assuming I'd have to do some significant modifications to get that. I'd actually prefer to
    >build the whole thing up from a frame, but I haven't found any folding frames for sale on the
    >internet.

    >I do a lot of biking, to almost every class, about 45 minutes of recreational riding most days,
    >into DC some weekends (an hour each way), occasionally I go home by bike instead of Metro (3 1/2
    >hours if I bike the whole way).
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Others have commented on the $300 cost limit.

    I think they are right. I own a bike much like you describe, it probably cost somewhere between
    $200 and $300, it is a stainless steel Hon (The president of DeHon is Dr. Hon so I suspect it
    is a DeHon.)

    I keep it in my office on a university campus so that students and staff can use it to get around
    campus. It works for that.

    But it is far too flakey to be ridden 45 minutes a day, it is a very "loose" bicycle.

    They used to say that Vincent Motorcycles rode like they had a hinge in the
    middle.

    I think that is an accurate description of the HON and of course it does have a hinge in the middle.

    So, the purpose of this diatribe is simply to suggest that the $300 bikes of this variety should be
    considered with caution and while they are probably adequate for casual short rides, they are not a
    good choice for serious riding.

    Serious folding bikes are significantly more expensive but they are also completely road worthy.

    jon isaacs

  9. Peter Gardner <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The multimodal thing is one of the three reasons I'm wanting to get one. I'm in College Park, MD,
    > but home is in Vienna, VA. I can't bring my bike on Metro during rush hour, and there have been
    > times when it would have been _really_ useful to do so.

    I hear that. Had to commute from Fairfax to College park a couple of summers ago--research at NARA
    for a dissertation. A bike to get from Grenbelt to the NARA complex on Adelphi Rd. would have been
    really useful....

    I'm impressed you ride all the way home--my larger-mileage rides in the area thus far have all been
    Westward, and out of the greater conurbation, thanks to the W&OD...but then, you're going somewhere.
    For recreation, I can think of a lot better places to be pottering about than, say Arlington....

    > To respond to an earlier post, I'd certainly like to raise my maximum price, but I just don't have
    > the money. I'll accept donations, of course . . . :)

    dontcha just love academia? Genteel poverty is what we pay for having this much fun....

    -Luigi

    sad grad, sitting exams

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Peter Gardner
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is
    >$300 (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college
    >student, and I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.

    Why not just leave the bike locked up outside and put the $200-$300 in a fund to buy a new one when
    the current one is done in by the weather? Even if it's outside 24/7 under pretty punishing weather
    conditions I'd think your current bike would last you through college at least, with a little
    maintenance.--Bruce Fields

  11. > Why not just leave the bike locked up outside and put the $200-$300 in a fund to buy a new one
    > when the current one is done in by the weather? Even if it's outside 24/7 under pretty punishing
    > weather conditions I'd think your current bike would last you through college at least, with a
    > little maintenance.--Bruce Fields

    Well, there are a couple of things. First of all, I'm not really comfortable leaving my bike very
    far from me for very long. For another thing, when she gets wet, she gets annoyed at me, and riding
    an annoyed bike isn't much fun. She's fairly cheap already (she came from target, back in the evil
    days when I occasionally used cars) so it doesn't take much to get her in nearly unrideable
    condition. I've been keeping her in the hallway outside of my room, and taking her in at night, but
    I think my roommate is getting annoyed, and next year I'll be living in a dorm without an elevator.

    On the upside, since practically everything that can go wrong with a bike has already gone wrong, I
    know how to fix almost everything.

    Peter

  12. In article <[email protected]>, Peter Gardner
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The multimodal thing is one of the three reasons I'm wanting to get one. I'm in College Park, MD,
    >but home is in Vienna, VA. I can't bring my bike on Metro during rush hour, and there have been
    >times when it would have been _really_ useful to do so.

    Assuming adequate nearby bike parking, how about buying a second inexpensive bike and keeping one at
    the College Park Metro and one at the Vienna Metro? I know, they're not as nifty, but it seems like
    you get get a few cheap but serviceable bikes for the cost of one foldable bike. --Bruce Fields

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Go to eBay and search for a Raleigh 20. The stock version
    would probably
    > work in a college campus environment. If you want to up
    grade it or trick
    > it out go to Sheldon Brown's site and take a look at his
    Twenties. I've got
    > an upgraded one and it's pretty cool little scoot bike.
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html

    I was just going to suggest that. It's probably the only thing you'll find for less than $300. There
    are others like it, too, but I can't think of them at the moment.

    If you're really lucky you might find a used Montague or Dahon for cheap, but a Montague might be
    too big to take on a bus.

    Matt O.

  14. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Thu, 15 May 2003 23:57:14 -0400, <[email protected]>, Peter
    Gardner <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking into getting a folding bicycle in the next few weeks. The most I can spend on it is
    >$300 (which is pushing it), and I'd prefer something in the $100 - $200 range. I'm a college
    >student, and I think a folder would be useful for storing in dorms without indoor bike storage.

    $199 Single speed, 14" wheels http://www.bazookasports.com/Bazooka/Hunter.htm

    $229 6 spd. derailleur, 20" wheels http://www.bazookasports.com/Explorer%20page.htm

    Good luck finding a Raleigh Twenty.
    --