folding bike for big and tall rider

Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Guest
Hi,

*warning* longer post...

I'm planning to buy a folding bike. I've looked around quite a bit for
reviews and posts from other users. In terms of value for money, I'm quite
tempted by some of the Dahon models. Yet there are some remaining
questions. The main use of the folder will be commuting via train - and
potentially also serving as a general purpose bike for town and country. My
budget is somewhere up to 500 pounds, potentially a bit more. Yet there are
some constraints to the choice available. As the subject line indicates, I
am a bit taller than the average rider with 1.92m (just under 6'4") and
currently a bit on the heavy side with a weight of about 100kg (15.7 stone,
), yet I plan to go down to 90kg (14.2 stone). With all winter clothes and
the rucksack with laptop, it could currently be up to 110 kg that the bike
needs to carry. According to what I have found so far, the only folder
brand that gives an indication of weight limits is Dahon. For their 20"
models they indicate a maximum rider weight of 105kg. I guess the other
issue is the size of the frame. On my current bike the length from the
lowest point of the pedal to the saddle surface is 98 cm. I guess I could
cope with a bit less as well. For the Dahon models the maximum distance is
96cm or 98cm with suspension seat post. I have not found any similar specs
for other folders.

My current favourites from the Dahon range are all equipped with hub dynamo
light system, mudguards and a rack - all essential for any utility bike
that I would consider (IMHO).

- Dahon Speed D7, very cheap around £300, yet fairly simple low quality
gears,
- Dahon MU XL, more pricy around £530, low maintenance Nexus 8 Premium hub
gears, slightly higher seat post,
- Dahon Impulse TR, around £500, very wide range Dual Drive gears plus
front/back rack, Big Apple tires for suspension.

At the moment my favourite would be the MU XL. My only concern would be the
Aluminium as a frame material. I've always had steel frames on my previous
bikes, which might be less likely to get a sudden crack. The Speed D7 would
be an option just for the commuting. I would then get an extra bike for
longer rides.

Has anyone got experience with the models above, especially for heavy tall
riders?

How easy do they fit into trains? I would also consider other folder brands
such as Brompton/ Riese & Müller Birdy, yet Iÿm not sure if these smaller
wheeled bikes are suitable for my size and weight.

Does anyone know a good shop for folding bikes around Liverpool that allows
test rides?

Andreas

says...

> How easy do they fit into trains? I would also consider other folder brands
> such as Brompton/ Riese & Müller Birdy, yet I?m not sure if these smaller
> wheeled bikes are suitable for my size and weight.

If you are commuting by train its the Brompton that you need. I am
6'6" and weigh about 100kg +/- and have two Bromptons. They carry me
fine, fit fine (with the telescopic seat post) and are the only bike I
would regularly take on the train because anything bigger would just not
nidge into the many spaces I have to fit the Brompton into(between seat
backs, in an unused seating space, in the luggage rack etc etc.)
especially when the train is crowded.

For train travel my order of preference would be Brompton, Birdy, Bike
Friday Tikit and last any of Dahon, Airnimal and larger Bike Fridays.

> Does anyone know a good shop for folding bikes around Liverpool that allows
> test rides?

The nearest Brompton dealer is in Preston but no idea what they are
like. The widest range of folding bikes where you will find all the
above on display and available for test rides, is at AVC behind the
station in Bath - quick check shows you could get there and back on the
train for about £25 which may be a good investment. You need to take a
small wheeled bike for a long test ride - you will initially find the
Brompton for example off-puttingly fidgety and nervous in the steering
but that quickly goes away with experience and you revel in its easy
maneuverability in traffic.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Am Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:41:43 +0100 schrieb Tony Raven:

> says...
>>
>> How easy do they fit into trains? I would also consider other folder brands
>> such as Brompton/ Riese & Müller Birdy, yet I?m not sure if these smaller
>> wheeled bikes are suitable for my size and weight.

> If you are commuting by train its the Brompton that you need. I am
> 6'6" and weigh about 100kg +/- and have two Bromptons. They carry me
> fine, fit fine (with the telescopic seat post) and are the only bike I
> would regularly take on the train because anything bigger would just not
> nidge into the many spaces I have to fit the Brompton into(between seat
> backs, in an unused seating space, in the luggage rack etc etc.)
> especially when the train is crowded.

Mmh - yes, yesterday I saw a Brommie parked in folded position, just locked
with a cable lock (!) in the streets of Liverpool (quite an unusual
occasion in this city full of cheap BSOs). It is indeed very compact, but
seems to me a bit flimsy... Does anyone know an official figure up to which
rider weight the Bromptons can carry? And is there any option for hub
dynamo lights and 8-gear hubs (which would be similar to the MU XL)? The
AVC website does not seem to offer these options, apart from a special SON
version. I have to climb a hill on the way back from station. But I also
like to go a bit faster when conditions allow it.

>> Does anyone know a good shop for folding bikes around Liverpool that allows
>> test rides?

> The nearest Brompton dealer is in Preston but no idea what they are
> like.

On the Brompton UK dealers list I also spotted

http://www.cyclesports.co.uk/contact.htm just North of Liverpool in Formby
and
http://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/directory.asp
http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/ both in Manchester.

As I'll soon work and Manchester, these might be options. Has anyone
experiences with these shops?

> The widest range of folding bikes where you will find all the
> above on display and available for test rides, is at AVC behind the
> station in Bath - quick check shows you could get there and back on the
> train for about £25 which may be a good investment.

Bath - that's quite far away, but I plan to visit some friends in Bristol
anyway :) It would be good to have a local shop like that around the
corner. But here in Liverpool you can't even do test rides in shops. I
helped a friend of mine recently to buy a bike and asked for a test ride.
The guy in the shop just said - they would not allow that. When I asked,
why, he then added (he was Scottish) "This is Liverpool... you know.".

> You need to take a
> small wheeled bike for a long test ride
> - you will initially find the
> Brompton for example off-puttingly fidgety and nervous in the steering
> but that quickly goes away with experience and you revel in its easy
> maneuverability in traffic.

I think I could cope with that. When I changed from my old Dutch bike to my
current Hybrid, similar to
<http://www.maxcycles.net/Steel_Lite_Comp1000.jpg>
I liked especially the greater maneuverability compared to my old "Dutch
battleship". But I guess, a folder like the Brompton is not a full
replacement for a good hybrid or touring bike for longer distances? Some of
the Dahon models, like the Impulse TR, seem to allow this.

Andreas

Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:

>Hi,
>
>*warning* longer post...
>
>I'm planning to buy a folding bike. I've looked around quite a bit for
>reviews and posts from other users. In terms of value for money, I'm quite
>tempted by some of the Dahon models. Yet there are some remaining
>questions. The main use of the folder will be commuting via train - and
>potentially also serving as a general purpose bike for town and country. My
>budget is somewhere up to 500 pounds, potentially a bit more. Yet there are
>some constraints to the choice available. As the subject line indicates, I
>am a bit taller than the average rider with 1.92m (just under 6'4") and
>currently a bit on the heavy side with a weight of about 100kg (15.7 stone,

>issue is the size of the frame. On my current bike the length from the
>lowest point of the pedal to the saddle surface is 98 cm. I guess I could
>cope with a bit less as well. For the Dahon models the maximum distance is
>96cm or 98cm with suspension seat post. I have not found any similar specs
>for other folders.

>How easy do they fit into trains? I would also consider other folder brands
>such as Brompton/ Riese & Müller Birdy, yet Iÿm not sure if these smaller
>wheeled bikes are suitable for my size and weight.

Hang on whilst I measure my Birdy....

With the seat pin set to minimum insertion I make it 100cm from pedal
spindle to saddle top measured along the seat tube. Mind you it's an
old Birdy Red not the latest design but I don't think that makes a
difference.

The guide to elastomer choice on the Australian Birdy site has a
graphic that goes up to 110kg
http://www.birdy.com.au/pdfs/suspension page.pdf

The Birdy folds to suitcase size. Approximately 32" wide x 26" high x
15" wide. I've put it in the space between back to back seats in
intercity trains (but such spaces are rare in these days of airline
style seating)

says...

> Mmh - yes, yesterday I saw a Brommie parked in folded position, just locked
> with a cable lock (!) in the streets of Liverpool (quite an unusual
> occasion in this city full of cheap BSOs).

That's unusual. I don't have a lock with my Brompton (other than a
lightweight cable to secure it if I can't sit near it on the train)
because I always fold it up and take it inside with me.

> It is indeed very compact, but
> seems to me a bit flimsy... Does anyone know an official figure up to which
> rider weight the Bromptons can carry?

Brompton's figure is a very conservative 245lbs or about 110kg but they
are pretty indestructible and will carry far more than that. You would
be surprised at the things people carry on them and there are plenty of
early model Bromptons still going strong.

> And is there any option for hub
> dynamo lights and 8-gear hubs (which would be similar to the MU XL)? The
> AVC website does not seem to offer these options, apart from a special SON
> version. I have to climb a hill on the way back from station. But I also
> like to go a bit faster when conditions allow it.

Its a three or six speed and you can get various gearing reductions to
get you up the hills although those do affect the top gear. I would
question though which will be more important in the long run - going
faster when conditions allow it or not having to struggle day in day out
with a larger folding bike on the train? Go to London where large
numbers commute by train and Bromptons outnumber all other folding bikes
combined by between 3 and 5 to one. On my three speed I regularly pass
other cyclists on normally geared bikes so speed is not an issue.

The brochure with all the standard options is online at
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/home/brompton_brochure.pdf
and if that is not enough there are people like Steve Parry who will fit
8 and even 14 speed hubs for you to the standard bike (at a price)

--

In article <[email protected]>, Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
> It is indeed very compact, but
>seems to me a bit flimsy... Does anyone know an official figure up to which
>rider weight the Bromptons can carry?

It's not a bike to stand up on and put great force into riding, but I
haven't heard of problems with people your/my/Tony's size (I don't have
a Brompton, I've only test ridden one, but LBS was fine with that).
I found it almost unrideable with the standard seatpost, and slightly
disturbingly twitchy with the telescopic post, but I'll take Tony's word
that you get to appreciate it with time.

> And is there any option for hub dynamo lights

There's an option for the SON XS hub dynamo, but at least one poster
has had a Brompton fork spread to put a standard size hub in.

> and 8-gear hubs (which would be similar to the MU XL)?

You can combine a 3-speed hub gear with 2-speed derailleur for 6 gears,
and there was a 5-speed hub gear model in the past but my understanding
is that current 5 (and 8) speeds hubs won't fit (at least not without
serious modification, I'm sure Steve Parry could do you one for a price).
See also http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/bromptonrohloff.html

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> >>
> >> How easy do they fit into trains? I would also consider other folder
> >> brands such as Brompton/ Riese & Müller Birdy, yet I?m not sure if these
> >> smaller wheeled bikes are suitable for my size and weight.

> > If you are commuting by train its the Brompton that you need. I am
> > 6'6" and weigh about 100kg +/- and have two Bromptons. They carry me
> > fine,

> Smaller people manage with only one...

:-D

--

Am 29 Sep 2007 14:46:19 +0100 (BST) schrieb Alan Braggins:

> In article <[email protected]>, Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
>> It is indeed very compact, but
>>seems to me a bit flimsy... Does anyone know an official figure up to which
>>rider weight the Bromptons can carry?

> It's not a bike to stand up on and put great force into riding, but I
> haven't heard of problems with people your/my/Tony's size (I don't have
> a Brompton, I've only test ridden one, but LBS was fine with that).
> I found it almost unrideable with the standard seatpost, and slightly
> disturbingly twitchy with the telescopic post, but I'll take Tony's word
> that you get to appreciate it with time.

Well - it sounds like a bike for shorter distances anyway. For me it would
be two miles at one end and one mile at the other end of the train journey
for my commute. My only worry is that the first two miles go down hill -
and i like to go that first part a bit faster, usually more than 30 mph.
Twitchyness wouldn't be good at that speed.

>> And is there any option for hub dynamo lights

> There's an option for the SON XS hub dynamo, but at least one poster
> has had a Brompton fork spread to put a standard size hub in.

The SON hubs are a very nice piece of German engineering (making me proud
of my old home country). But in terms of value for money they are
completely overpriced (IMHO). Maybe it would be possible to fit one of
these?
http://www.dahon.com/intl/accessories/lights/dynamo.htm
In the US you can get the complete set for US$30.
http://www.speedmatrixdepot.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=46

>> and 8-gear hubs (which would be similar to the MU XL)?

> You can combine a 3-speed hub gear with 2-speed derailleur for 6 gears,
> and there was a 5-speed hub gear model in the past but my understanding
> is that current 5 (and 8) speeds hubs won't fit (at least not without
> serious modification, I'm sure Steve Parry could do you one for a price).
> See also http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/bromptonrohloff.html

6-speed is the minimum for me as soon as there are hills around. I read in
the Brompton catalogue that the range is 213%. That's still quite a
difference to the Shimpanso Nexus/Alfine with 306% . I've used a 3-speed
Dutch bikes for years. Great ride as long as it's flat, but annoying once
you want to go up hill.

Andreas

In article <[email protected]>, Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
>Am 29 Sep 2007 14:46:19 +0100 (BST) schrieb Alan Braggins:
>
>> I found it almost unrideable with the standard seatpost, and slightly
>> disturbingly twitchy with the telescopic post, but I'll take Tony's word
>> that you get to appreciate it with time.

>Well - it sounds like a bike for shorter distances anyway. For me it would
>be two miles at one end and one mile at the other end of the train journey
>for my commute. My only worry is that the first two miles go down hill -
>and i like to go that first part a bit faster, usually more than 30 mph.
>Twitchyness wouldn't be good at that speed.

Some people do use them very happily for long distances. One person's
twitchyness is another person's nimble agility. So don't rule it out
without a test ride.

> Maybe it would be possible to fit one of these?
>http://www.dahon.com/intl/accessories/lights/dynamo.htm
>In the US you can get the complete set for US$30.
>http://www.speedmatrixdepot.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=46

I don't see why not, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. The UK
price is a bit higher (assuming the Fisher page is the right thing,
"2.4V/3W" looks wrong). http://www.dahon.co.uk/l-dynamo.htm
http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/DA6SP019.html

Though it's not completely clear to me how many spokes there are
on the Joule - if it isn't the same as the Brompton rim, that could
be a problem.

(and http://www.dahon.co.uk/l-schmidt.htm is the SON XS - "As good as
our new Joule hub dynamo is, the Schmidt Son is simply the best bicycle
dynamo on the market if cost is no object.")

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Well - it sounds like a bike for shorter distances anyway. For me it would
> be two miles at one end and one mile at the other end of the train journey
> for my commute. My only worry is that the first two miles go down hill -
> and i like to go that first part a bit faster, usually more than 30 mph.
> Twitchyness wouldn't be good at that speed.

I get over that going down Park St in Bristol on mine. Twitchiness is
not a problem because it doesn't happen.

I would agree that its a bike for shorter distances where shorter means
10 miles or less although there are many that regularly ride much
further. Just remember my advice when you try to fit your Dahon on the
train ;-)

--

Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:
>On the Brompton UK dealers list I also spotted
>http://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/directory.asp
>http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/ both in Manchester.
>
>As I'll soon work and Manchester, these might be options. Has anyone
>experiences with these shops?

Harry Halls is a snooty shop for racers whose staff don't seem to wish to
serve female cyclists!

Bicycle Doctor somewhat friendlier workers co-op. Worth phoning in advance
to check what they have in for you to try out. Not open Sundays.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It's not a bike to stand up on and put great force into riding, but I
> haven't heard of problems with people your/my/Tony's size (I don't have
> a Brompton, I've only test ridden one, but LBS was fine with that).
> I found it almost unrideable with the standard seatpost, and slightly
> disturbingly twitchy with the telescopic post, but I'll take Tony's word
> that you get to appreciate it with time.

Wife never did get to appreciate it (and I've never given it time). The new
birdy OTOH is a significantly better beast - I was quite impressed. But the
cost...

>> And is there any option for hub dynamo lights

> There's an option for the SON XS hub dynamo, but at least one poster
> has had a Brompton fork spread to put a standard size hub in.

Did that a couple of years ago. Bit scary, hitting a large lump of wood into
the fork to spread it, but it did work. Need to bend the dropouts too, but
fortunately they're just squashed plate/tube rather than anything terribly
stiff.

cheers,
clive

In article <[email protected]>, Clive George wrote:
>"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[Brompton]
>> disturbingly twitchy with the telescopic post, but I'll take Tony's word
>> that you get to appreciate it with time.

>Wife never did get to appreciate it (and I've never given it time).

Yes, possibly "you might get to" would be better.

> The new
>birdy OTOH is a significantly better beast - I was quite impressed. But the
>cost...

Oh yes (to both bits - I tried one at the same time). Except for it's
ability to fold into a compact space on a crowded train, where it's close,
but still not quite as good as a Brompton for that specific niche.

Am Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:15:53 +0100 schrieb Tony Raven:

> says...
> I don't have a lock with my Brompton (other than a
> lightweight cable to secure it if I can't sit near it on the train)
> because I always fold it up and take it inside with me.

I just can't imagine to take it into a theatre or cinema. Or is it even
small enough for these environments? I would probably carry around a u-lock
in the rucksack, just in case.

> Brompton's figure is a very conservative 245lbs or about 110kg but they
> are pretty indestructible and will carry far more than that. You would
> be surprised at the things people carry on them and there are plenty of
> early model Bromptons still going strong.

110kg? That sounds convincing, plus I have no intention of exceeding that
figure or doing an offroad downhill ride :) I know that normal bikes are
usually designed to carry up to 130kg, though some very light-weight road
bikes have a limit somewhere around 90 kg.

> Its a three or six speed and you can get various gearing reductions to
> get you up the hills although those do affect the top gear. I would
> question though which will be more important in the long run - going
> faster when conditions allow it or not having to struggle day in day out
> with a larger folding bike on the train?

The ideal compromise for me would be a Brompton with 7 or 8 hub gear. But
apparently, according to a German Brompton tuning website, the Brompton
manufacturer refuses to work together with Shimano. So the six speed
version seems to be the best compromise.

> The brochure with all the standard options is online at
> http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/home/brompton_brochure.pdf

Thanks, loads of options. My impression is that the Brompton in its core is
a genius piece of engineering, yet I read some of the comments of Brompton
enthusiasts on http://www.bromptonauten.de
Some of the components used are quite cheapy, and could as well be found on
cheap BSOs, they say... The comments mention low quality breaks, cheap
saddle and pedals, soft nuts/bolts that get easily damaged with tools, bad
position of brake levers.

> and if that is not enough there are people like Steve Parry who will fit
> 8 and even 14 speed hubs for you to the standard bike (at a price)

I spotted this website offering the update with a Nexus 7 for 330 Euro.
http://www.junik-hpv.de/html/brompton_tuning.htm
Or I'll do it at some point as a DIY project. :)

Andreas

In article <[email protected]>, Andreas
Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> writes

>Some of the components used are quite cheapy, and could as well be found on
>cheap BSOs, they say... The comments mention low quality breaks, cheap
>saddle and pedals, soft nuts/bolts that get easily damaged with tools, bad
>position of brake levers.

The first casualty on my Brompton was the saddle, which fell apart after
not very much use. I replaced it with a Viscount Bodyfit, which is much
more hardy and a better fit.

The next casualty was the folding pedal, which broke off while I was
cycling. It was replaced free by the shop that sold me the bike. I've
also had the front wheel disintegrate when the rim wore through.

The main problem I have currently is the seat tube not staying in place.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Quoting congokid <[email protected]>:
>The main problem I have currently is the seat tube not staying in place.

Get it dirty. Mine (accidentally) got a coating of Milton Nero which dried
on, and it now stays where it is put.
Today is First Chedday, September - a public holiday.

Quoting Andreas =?iso-8859-1?Q?Schulze-B=E4ing?= <[email protected]>:
>for my commute. My only worry is that the first two miles go down hill -
>and i like to go that first part a bit faster, usually more than 30 mph.

I had my B over 36mph a couple of weekends ago - now I have spent some
time riding one, but I wasn't seriously concerned by the handling.
Today is First Chedday, September - a public holiday.

In article <A8m*[email protected]>, David Damerell
<[email protected]> writes
>Quoting congokid <[email protected]>:
>>The main problem I have currently is the seat tube not staying in place.

>Get it dirty. Mine (accidentally) got a coating of Milton Nero which dried
>on, and it now stays where it is put.

After consulting The Brompton Folding Bicycle FAQ I was thinking of
giving it a good clean with solvent (which one?), though it already
looks quite clean.