Road Cycling · Public discussion

Folding Bike Recommendations for NYC commute?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 229 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 June 2007
Last activity
20 June 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
229
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
    get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
    door to door).

    I've been looking at the Zport

    http://www.zportusa.com

    which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
    with an internal gear system.

    I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
    and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
    ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.

    http://www.mobikyusa.com/

    I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
    gears.

    http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html

    Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
    and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
    of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
    long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
    anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
    Slope.

    Thanks. Standupguynyc

  2. email hidden said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
    get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
    door to door).

    I've been looking at the Zport

    http://www.zportusa.com

    which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
    with an internal gear system.

    I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
    and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
    ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.

    http://www.mobikyusa.com/

    I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
    gears.

    http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html

    Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
    and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
    of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
    long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
    anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
    Slope.

    Thanks. Standupguynyc

    Hi Peter,

    3 speeds ought to be more than enough for Park Slope to Manhattan
    unless your briefcase is filled with gold bars. I'd go for something
    with 20" wheels for a wider selection of good tires. I'd also go for
    one of the cheap one to start to see if the whole folding bike small
    wheel thing works out the way you want it to before splashing out for
    some nice kit.

    Have fun!

    Joseph

  3. email hidden said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
    get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
    door to door).

    I've been looking at the Zport

    http://www.zportusa.com

    which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
    with an internal gear system.

    Never rode it but had a look at it in the local hardware store (not
    the local LBS).
    It seems fairly well built but I would think it is too heavy for a
    commuter. It is heavier than my full-sized Bianci and the fat tires
    are likely to give to much rolling resistance.

    I think it is sold to local yachtsmen 🙂 It would be fine for short
    runs from the boat to the grocery store or a restaurant but not for
    real commuting.

    Have not seen the others.

    Quoted message said:


    I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
    and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
    ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.

    http://www.mobikyusa.com/

    I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
    gears.

    http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html

    Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
    and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
    of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
    long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
    anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
    Slope.

    Thanks. Standupguynyc

  4. I had a chance to ride the Mobiky at Interbike and I would not recommend it.
    It's a cute novelty, but I found it very hard to ride and would not want to
    ride it more than a few feet.

    The Downtube folder is very good.

    "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
    get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
    door to door).

    I've been looking at the Zport

    http://www.zportusa.com

    which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
    with an internal gear system.

    I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
    and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
    ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.

    http://www.mobikyusa.com/

    I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
    gears.

    http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html

    Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
    and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
    of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
    long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
    anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
    Slope.

    Thanks. Standupguynyc

  5. email hidden said:

    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
    get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
    door to door).

    I've been looking at the Zport

    http://www.zportusa.com

    which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
    with an internal gear system.

    I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
    and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
    ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.

    http://www.mobikyusa.com/

    I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
    gears.

    http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html

    Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
    and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
    of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
    long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
    anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
    Slope.

    Thanks. Standupguynyc

    Just remembered a site you might find useful
    The folding bike society. Some of their reviews might be useful
    http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.