Folding bike trailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben Barker

I have repeatedly been in a positionn where a bike trailer (cargo, not people) would be useful, but
have been put off by the fact that one of the joys of cycling is the portability of a bike. With a
large trailer, this is scuppered somewhat (no more train journeys, harder to lock up etc). Even when
folded, most trailers need a car top move them around easily, which really defies the point.

I was thinking of tryiong to build a lightweight trailer over the summer that could fold up and be
stowed as a large pannier when not needed. While it wouold be a bit bulky and heavy,I think it
should be possible, and would be useful when, for instance, using a trailer to lug baggage to the
station, but then needing to ge the bike + traile on the train.

I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whether such things existed already, or any
thoughts on what would make a good design.

In message <[email protected]>, Ben Barker <[email protected]> writes
>
>I was thinking of tryiong to build a lightweight trailer over the summer that could fold up and be
>stowed as a large pannier when not needed.
>
>I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whether such things existed already, or any
>thoughts on what would make a good design.

Certainly this ha been made before, ISTR seeing pictures of it, reading about it a few years ago
(probably in some thing like Encyclopedia, Bike Culture, New cyclist or something)

Sorry, I have no idea of a name, or if it was successful, or is still on the market though
--
Chris French, Leeds

In message Sat, 5 Apr 2003, 04:26:30, Ben Barker <[email protected]> writes
>I have repeatedly been in a positionn where a bike trailer (cargo, not people) would be useful, but
>have been put off by the fact that one of the joys of cycling is the portability of a bike. With a
>large trailer, this is scuppered somewhat (no more train journeys, harder to lock up etc). Even
>when folded, most trailers need a car top move them around easily, which really defies the point.
>
>I was thinking of tryiong to build a lightweight trailer over the summer that could fold up and be
>stowed as a large pannier when not needed. While it wouold be a bit bulky and heavy,I think it
>should be possible, and would be useful when, for instance, using a trailer to lug baggage to the
>station, but then needing to ge the bike + traile on the train.
>
>I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whether such things existed already, or any
>thoughts on what would make a good design.

Good selection of trailers at http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/

HTH
--
Rob Cope

Status
Not open for further replies.