Folding bike trailers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ben Barker, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Barker

Ben Barker Guest

I have repeatedly been in a positionn where a bike trailer (cargo, not people) would be useful, but
    have been put off by the fact that one of the joys of cycling is the portability of a bike. With a
    large trailer, this is scuppered somewhat (no more train journeys, harder to lock up etc). Even when
    folded, most trailers need a car top move them around easily, which really defies the point.

I was thinking of tryiong to build a lightweight trailer over the summer that could fold up and be
    stowed as a large pannier when not needed. While it wouold be a bit bulky and heavy,I think it
    should be possible, and would be useful when, for instance, using a trailer to lug baggage to the
    station, but then needing to ge the bike + traile on the train.

I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whether such things existed already, or any
    thoughts on what would make a good design.

Tags:

2. Chris French

Chris French Guest

In message <[email protected]>, Ben Barker <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >I was thinking of tryiong to build a lightweight trailer over the summer that could fold up and be
    >stowed as a large pannier when not needed.
    >
    >I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whether such things existed already, or any
    >thoughts on what would make a good design.

Certainly this ha been made before, ISTR seeing pictures of it, reading about it a few years ago
    (probably in some thing like Encyclopedia, Bike Culture, New cyclist or something)

Sorry, I have no idea of a name, or if it was successful, or is still on the market though
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

3. Rob Cope

Rob Cope Guest

In message Sat, 5 Apr 2003, 04:26:30, Ben Barker <[email protected]> writes
    >I have repeatedly been in a positionn where a bike trailer (cargo, not people) would be useful, but
    >have been put off by the fact that one of the joys of cycling is the portability of a bike. With a
    >large trailer, this is scuppered somewhat (no more train journeys, harder to lock up etc). Even
    >when folded, most trailers need a car top move them around easily, which really defies the point.
    >
    >I was thinking of tryiong to build a lightweight trailer over the summer that could fold up and be
    >stowed as a large pannier when not needed. While it wouold be a bit bulky and heavy,I think it
    >should be possible, and would be useful when, for instance, using a trailer to lug baggage to the
    >station, but then needing to ge the bike + traile on the train.
    >
    >I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to whether such things existed already, or any
    >thoughts on what would make a good design.

Good selection of trailers at http://www.twoplustwo.uk.com/

HTH
    --
    Rob Cope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.