folding bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dennis Johnston, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very little about them.
    What are good, bad and so on. O yes I way 220 if that helps. this would be
    for a few miles around motel and approach roads.

    Tags:

  2. PBridge130

    PBridge130 Guest

    >A job change may put me on a folding bike

    I've got a classic Raleigh "Twenty" which I was thinking of liquidating, as I'm
    moving to a smaller house. Twenty inch wheels, Sturmey Archer three-speed,
    chain guard to keep your pants clean. Near-new condition, dark green, decals
    all good, handsome bike. Fast-folding, simple, classic, reliable, fun, and
    amazingly fast -- twenty inch wheels accellerate!

    220 is no problem.

    Email directly if interested -- I miss a lot of posts on the newsgroup.

    pbridge130 AT aol DOT com

  3. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    "Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very little about them.
    > What are good, bad and so on. O yes I way 220 if that helps. this would be
    > for a few miles around motel and approach roads.

    Which folding bike you want is going to depend on *why* you need it. Are
    you an avid cyclist, looking for a good bike to ride while travelling? Or,
    are you just looking for basic transportation that you can carry on/off
    trains, buses, etc.?

    Also, what's you budget look like?

    Ritchey makes a very fine road bike that easily fits into a suitcase if
    you're looking for that sort of thing.
    http://www.ritcheylogic.com/bab_home.htm

    Bike Friday makes some wonderful folding bikes, too.
    http://www.bikefriday.com/

    More inexpensive, but still good quality is Dahon.
    http://www.dahon.com/

    That should get you started at least.

    Regards,
    H.

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]> writes:

    > A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very little about
    > them. What are good, bad and so on. O yes I way 220 if that
    > helps. this would be for a few miles around motel and approach
    > roads.

    There are dozens of folding bikes on the market, relatively few of
    which are available in the US. For the basic groundwork of
    information you need to find, start here:

    http://www.atob.org.uk/

    http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

    You'll find links to specific brands like the Brompton, Birdy, Bike
    Friday, Dahon, Gaerlan, Swift, etc. If you don't want to spend lots
    of money, or ultra-compact folding isn't necessary, and touring or
    racing on the bike isn't your bag, then a Swift or Dahon would
    probably be right up your alley.

  5. > A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very
    > little about them. What are good, bad and so on. O yes
    > I way 220 if that helps. this would be for a few miles
    > around motel and approach roads.

    I weigh 230, and I've ridden full-size Dahon and Montague folders for
    extended periods, both good bikes, with the edge in quality to Montague.

    http://www.dahon.com/

    http://www.montagueco.com/

  6. > Saw this one at Walmart the other day:

    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003

    Perfect for that stylish "Russian Circus Bear on a Bike"-look if you're
    over 200-lbs like me and Dennis.

  7. Ted

    Ted Guest

    > I've got a classic Raleigh "Twenty" which I was thinking of liquidating, as
    > I'm
    > moving to a smaller house. Twenty inch wheels, Sturmey Archer three-speed,
    > chain guard to keep your pants clean. Near-new condition, dark green, decals
    > all good, handsome bike. Fast-folding, simple, classic, reliable, fun, and
    > amazingly fast -- twenty inch wheels accellerate!
    >
    > 220 is no problem.
    >
    > Email directly if interested -- I miss a lot of posts on the newsgroup.
    >
    > pbridge130 AT aol DOT com

    You'll have better luck over at rec.bicycles.marketplace.

    Ted

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland, OR

  8. LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> Saw this one at Walmart the other day:
    :>
    :> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003

    : Perfect for that stylish "Russian Circus Bear on a Bike"-look if you're
    : over 200-lbs like me and Dennis.

    It's in the same size class as the Bike Friday and Dahon bikes. I think
    with a few minor modifications - longer seatpost, better brakes, a gearhub,
    stiffer spring, better cranks/pedals, etc. - it could be a serviceable bike.

    - Mark

  9. Warren Block

    Warren Block Guest

    Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m <[email protected]> wrote:
    >:> Saw this one at Walmart the other day:
    >:>
    >:> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003
    >
    >: Perfect for that stylish "Russian Circus Bear on a Bike"-look if you're
    >: over 200-lbs like me and Dennis.
    >
    > It's in the same size class as the Bike Friday and Dahon bikes. I think
    > with a few minor modifications - longer seatpost, better brakes, a gearhub,
    > stiffer spring, better cranks/pedals, etc. - it could be a serviceable bike.

    Better hubs, frame, handlebars, seat, fenders... :cool: Hey, where's the
    rear brake on that thing? It does look a lot like a Dahon.

    Here's another folder that may be easier to find in a bike shop:

    http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?range=162

  10. >>>>> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003

    >>> It's in the same size class as the Bike Friday and Dahon bikes.

    >> Not this Dahon bike, it ain't:
    >>
    >> http://www.dahon.com/matrix.htm

    > Try this one:
    >
    > http://www.dahon.com/2004/boardwalkd3.htm
    >
    > MAX RIDER WEIGHT -- 105 kg. (230 lbs.)

    That's me, right at the max, before lunch.