folding bike?

Dennis Johnston

Guest
A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very little about them.
What are good, bad and so on. O yes I way 220 if that helps. this would be
for a few miles around motel and approach roads.

>A job change may put me on a folding bike

I've got a classic Raleigh "Twenty" which I was thinking of liquidating, as I'm
moving to a smaller house. Twenty inch wheels, Sturmey Archer three-speed,
chain guard to keep your pants clean. Near-new condition, dark green, decals
all good, handsome bike. Fast-folding, simple, classic, reliable, fun, and
amazingly fast -- twenty inch wheels accellerate!

220 is no problem.

Email directly if interested -- I miss a lot of posts on the newsgroup.

pbridge130 AT aol DOT com

"Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very little about them.
> What are good, bad and so on. O yes I way 220 if that helps. this would be
> for a few miles around motel and approach roads.

Which folding bike you want is going to depend on *why* you need it. Are
you an avid cyclist, looking for a good bike to ride while travelling? Or,
are you just looking for basic transportation that you can carry on/off
trains, buses, etc.?

Also, what's you budget look like?

Ritchey makes a very fine road bike that easily fits into a suitcase if
you're looking for that sort of thing.
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/bab_home.htm

Bike Friday makes some wonderful folding bikes, too.
http://www.bikefriday.com/

More inexpensive, but still good quality is Dahon.
http://www.dahon.com/

That should get you started at least.

Regards,
H.

"Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]> writes:

> A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very little about
> them. What are good, bad and so on. O yes I way 220 if that
> helps. this would be for a few miles around motel and approach
> roads.

There are dozens of folding bikes on the market, relatively few of
which are available in the US. For the basic groundwork of
information you need to find, start here:

http://www.atob.org.uk/

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

You'll find links to specific brands like the Brompton, Birdy, Bike
Friday, Dahon, Gaerlan, Swift, etc. If you don't want to spend lots
of money, or ultra-compact folding isn't necessary, and touring or
racing on the bike isn't your bag, then a Swift or Dahon would
probably be right up your alley.

> A job change may put me on a folding bike , I know very
> little about them. What are good, bad and so on. O yes
> I way 220 if that helps. this would be for a few miles
> around motel and approach roads.

I weigh 230, and I've ridden full-size Dahon and Montague folders for
extended periods, both good bikes, with the edge in quality to Montague.

http://www.dahon.com/

http://www.montagueco.com/

> Saw this one at Walmart the other day:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003

Perfect for that stylish "Russian Circus Bear on a Bike"-look if you're
over 200-lbs like me and Dennis.

> I've got a classic Raleigh "Twenty" which I was thinking of liquidating, as
> I'm
> moving to a smaller house. Twenty inch wheels, Sturmey Archer three-speed,
> chain guard to keep your pants clean. Near-new condition, dark green, decals
> all good, handsome bike. Fast-folding, simple, classic, reliable, fun, and
> amazingly fast -- twenty inch wheels accellerate!
>
> 220 is no problem.
>
> Email directly if interested -- I miss a lot of posts on the newsgroup.
>
> pbridge130 AT aol DOT com

You'll have better luck over at rec.bicycles.marketplace.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m <[email protected]> wrote:
:> Saw this one at Walmart the other day:
:>
:> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003

: Perfect for that stylish "Russian Circus Bear on a Bike"-look if you're
: over 200-lbs like me and Dennis.

It's in the same size class as the Bike Friday and Dahon bikes. I think
with a few minor modifications - longer seatpost, better brakes, a gearhub,
stiffer spring, better cranks/pedals, etc. - it could be a serviceable bike.

- Mark

Mark Vieselmeyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m <[email protected]> wrote:
>:> Saw this one at Walmart the other day:
>:>
>:> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2513003
>
>: Perfect for that stylish "Russian Circus Bear on a Bike"-look if you're
>: over 200-lbs like me and Dennis.
>
> It's in the same size class as the Bike Friday and Dahon bikes. I think
> with a few minor modifications - longer seatpost, better brakes, a gearhub,
> stiffer spring, better cranks/pedals, etc. - it could be a serviceable bike.

Better hubs, frame, handlebars, seat, fenders... :cool: Hey, where's the
rear brake on that thing? It does look a lot like a Dahon.

Here's another folder that may be easier to find in a bike shop:

http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?range=162

>>> It's in the same size class as the Bike Friday and Dahon bikes.

>> Not this Dahon bike, it ain't:
>>
>> http://www.dahon.com/matrix.htm

> Try this one:
>
> http://www.dahon.com/2004/boardwalkd3.htm
>
> MAX RIDER WEIGHT -- 105 kg. (230 lbs.)

That's me, right at the max, before lunch.