folding bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Newsshy, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Newsshy

    Newsshy Guest

    I am new here -- please do not peck (too hard). I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I saw
    a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed $299 Dahon. I can handle both, as far as the weight is
    concerned (although I was told that Brompton is lighter). What group's consensus would be? Are there
    any other brands/models to be considered as an inexpensive first? I plan to fold the bike for subway
    and bus transportation and I think (now) that slight difference in weight should not matter much --
    I am not going to carry them for miles. Any suggestions from grandmasters/professionals are greatly
    appreciated.
    -----------------------------
    Newsshy

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    anonymous writes anonymously:

    > I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I saw a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed
    > $299 Dahon. I can handle both, as far as the weight is concerned (although I was told that
    > Brompton is lighter).

    Those are probably the best choices. See how much space you will have on the public transport you
    plan to use and see if the folded size will fit under the seat or in luggage space offered before
    deciding. Light weight is not as important as durability, ease of assembly, and compact size.

  3. On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:38:22 -0400, newsshy wrote:

    > I am new here -- please do not peck (too hard). I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I
    > saw a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed $299 Dahon. I can handle both, as far as the weight
    > is concerned (although I was told that Brompton is lighter). What group's consensus would be? Are
    > there any other brands/models to be considered as an inexpensive first? I plan to fold the bike
    > for subway and bus transportation and I think (now) that slight difference in weight should not
    > matter much -- I am not going to carry them for miles. Any suggestions from
    > grandmasters/professionals are greatly appreciated.

    1) Look up the folding society web site. <http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/> 2) The Brompton's very highly
    regarded as a fast-folder.

  4. newsshy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I saw a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed $299
    >Dahon. I can handle both, as far as the weight is concerned (although I was told that Brompton is
    >lighter).

    Never seen the Dahon, but there's a lot of Bromptons round here. You can fold one in about 15-20
    seconds; there may be applications for which that is so overwhelming an advantage that nothing else
    matters much.

  5. Newsshy

    Newsshy Guest

    Jobst, you addressed three issues: ease of assembly is important; as I understand, you mean smoothly
    working joints without small removable parts (I mean small nuts and bolts that always get misplaced
    :). As far as compact size: I saw that guy in NYC subway car, his Brompton (probably 20") did not
    get on anyone nerves. Mine could be a few inches larger...I don't own a car, so superminiaturization
    is not crucial. What do you mean by durability? If my bike will last three years without major
    problems, the beer is on me. regards, Newsshy <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > anonymous writes anonymously:
    >
    > > I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I saw a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed
    > > $299 Dahon. I can handle both, as far as the weight is concerned (although I was told that
    > > Brompton is lighter).
    >
    > Those are probably the best choices. See how much space you will have on the public transport you
    > plan to use and see if the folded size will fit under the seat or in luggage space offered before
    > deciding. Light weight is not as important as durability, ease of assembly, and compact size.

  6. Todd Fahrner

    Todd Fahrner Guest

    "newsshy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am new here -- please do not peck (too hard). I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I
    > saw a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed $299 Dahon.

    Bromptons are more consistent in design than Dahons, meaning that while most Bromptons are quite
    good, some Dahons are not. Depends on which Dahon. I own a Brompton, have ridden a Dahon Boardwalk
    6, and have read a good deal about how horrible some (older) Dahons are. The Brompton folds faster
    and smaller than any Dahon, and is lighter than all but one. These things are very important
    considering the application, but I have to admit that the Dahon Boardwalk 6 had a much sweeter ride
    than I expected. I could even ride it no hands, something I can't pull off for long on the Brommie.
    But $400 for a Brompton is a very good price.

  7. <snip> "newsshy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I'm considering buying a folding bike. ....> .... Any suggestions from grandmasters/professionals
    > are greatly appreciated.
    > -----------------------------

    Steven Scharf's thoughtful web page on folders is: http://nordicgroup.us/fold/

    His page on coffee and bicycling is terrific too.

    Regards, Larry "Riding a Raleigh Twenty" Fieman

  8. "newsshy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am new here -- please do not peck (too hard). I'm considering buying a folding bike. So far I
    > saw a 3-speed $400 Brompton and a 5 or 6-speed $299 Dahon. I can handle both, as far as the weight
    > is concerned (although I was told that Brompton is lighter). What group's consensus would be? Are
    > there any other brands/models to be considered as an inexpensive first? I plan to fold the bike
    > for subway and bus transportation and I think (now) that slight difference in weight should not
    > matter much -- I am not going to carry them for miles. Any suggestions from
    > grandmasters/professionals are greatly appreciated.
    > -----------------------------
    > Newsshy

    I am a great fan of Bromptons. The fold very small and very quickly (about 15 seconds to
    fold/unfold), are robust, ride well and have good, if expensive, luggage and other options (e.g.
    extending seatpost, folding pedals etc). I have had one (3-speed) for 5 years or so which has worked
    very well (acquired second hand for £60). There IS more resistance in the drive train due to the
    chain tensioner, but the ease of folding and compactness cannot be beaten. Every detail is
    engineered to work. Folds easily small enough to be carried as luggage on bus/train.

    It is a while since I bought this and other bikes have probably come on a lot since then, but of the
    four or five folders I tried this was the only one that was actually a pleasure to ride - the others
    ranged from uncomfortable to alarming.

    If you opt for a Brompton you won't be disappointed.