Folding Bikes on Planes - Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Elisa Francesca Roselli, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    > [email protected] a écrit :
    >
    >> See if they'll take it unfolded.

    > I'll phone the various airlines for more details. Unfortunately, Air
    > France has never even seen a Dahon, so may not know their own policies.
    > I would really hope to avoid a situation where the whole thing needs to
    > be taken apart, wheels off, etc. and boxed. I am not sure I would know
    > how to reassemble it at the other end even if I were carrying a toolbox.
    > So far, only a front wheel has ever come off Fly. Even for that I was
    > helped by a friend. The wheel went back on the wrong way and it took
    > several weeks to get it recalibrated in a bike shop. And the riding
    > quality has not been as good since. As for the back wheel, it is
    > complicated by a Sram Dualdrive shifter.
    >
    > I had naively imagined, when I bought Flyzipper, that the whole point of
    > a folding bike was that one could avoid all this palaver.

    Well in the U.S., it would avoid the bicycle surcharge on an airline, if
    packed into a suitcase and not recognizable as a bicycle. But other than
    something like a Brompton, you're going to be stuck with some
    dis-assembly/assembly.

    The point of a folding bike is usually more than just airplane travel.

    That said, you're probably worrying too much, though on a dérailleur
    equipped bicycle you need to be sure that the dérailleur isn't subject
    to any impact, since it's kind of sticking way out there.

    If it were me, I'd use the Dahon soft bag, and pack clothes around it in
    zip lock bags, but I'd also probably remove the rear dérailleur which I
    don't think that you'd want to do. I have a similar bike to your's, the
    Speed TR, which is the touring version of what you have.

    With whatever you choose, you're going to have to deal with carrying the
    case or bag around once you arrive. It'd be pretty expensive to store a
    hard case at the airport.

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > Buy them at the far end. Every bike shop has them these days. But do
    > practice using one first - there is enough gas in one to pump a tyre up
    > hard, but there's none to waste.

    And they have bike shops at every airport do they?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Elisa Francesca
    Roselli ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I had naively imagined, when I bought Flyzipper, that the whole point
    > of a folding bike was that one could avoid all this palaver.

    Seriously, Elisa,

    Fold up FlyZipper as small as you conveniently can without using any
    tools - just the standard fold, but do it as neatly as you can. Then
    measure the length, width and height of the folded machine. If I'm right
    that FlyZipper is an Impulse P21, then according to
    <URL:http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php?plid=m6b7s19p692> you should
    be able to get down to 28x56x81cm (11"x22"x33")

    Then, as someone else has already suggested, go onto eBay (but with those
    dimensions) and find a canvas suitcase that's slightly bigger. Or go to
    a street market with your tape measure; there are bound to be some in
    Paris.

    When you pack, pack the contents of your second pannier into the case
    around the bike (in plastic bags to protect from chain oil). A couple of
    corrugated cardboard sheets lining each side of the inside of the bag
    will give a little extra protection. Carry your other pannier as cabin
    baggage. In Prague, taxi to where your tour is based and leave the
    suitcase there.

    This really isn't going to be that hard to accomplish; you can make
    youself very anxious worrying about it, but it won't be hard to do.
    Holidays are for enjoying!

    Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
    Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
    murther
    -- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

  4. Pat in TX

    Pat in TX Guest

    "Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I regularly take my Brompton on flights to Paris Orly as hand luggage, in
    >its Brompton soft bag. I unfold it as soon as I am in the arrivals hall,
    >ride it through the airport halls, along the travelators, past the Douanes,
    >out of the airport, and direct to the RER station.

    Have you ever taken it to Athens?

    Pat

  5. Andy Gee

    Andy Gee Guest

    Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> wrote in news:43d5f23e$0$12795
    [email protected]:

    > I'm thinking about booking a cycling holiday in Bohemia this Spring.
    > Although the tour operator provides bikes for rent, I was so
    > uncomfortable on my rented bike on a similar holiday in the Netherlands
    > last year, that I'm thinking of bringing my beloved Dahon folding bike,
    > Flyzipper. At least I know I'm comfortable on Fly for hours at a
    > stretch, that he does not give me carpal tunnel syndrome or mangle my
    > soft parts, and that he does not need a fortnight of adjustments before
    > he fits me.

    First, I must say that "Flyzipper" is an intriguing name in English. Are
    you translating from French? Does it have the same connotation in French?

    Second, I used to ride to the airport with my carry-on in a duffel bag on
    my back, take the carry-on out, fold up the bike and put it in the bag and
    check it, then reverse the process at my destination. No parking fee or
    taxi at the airport, no rental car at the destination. Never had a problem
    with the bike until _after_ 9/11 when the TSA got in the habit of taking
    apart things with hollow metal tubes.

    --ag

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >> Buy them at the far end. Every bike shop has them these days. But do
    >> practice using one first - there is enough gas in one to pump a tyre
    >> up hard, but there's none to waste.

    > And they have bike shops at every airport do they?

    They have taxis at every airport a folding bike will fit into.

    Tony Blair's epitaph, #1: Tony Blair lies here.
    Tony Blair's epitaph, #2: Trust me.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Ryan air? Are you talking about flight that burned and crashed in
    > Florida?

    Noope. Ryanair is a UK-based budget airline and only flies within
    Europe.

    Mushroom! Mushroom!

  9. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    >>Ryan air? Are you talking about flight that burned and crashed in
    >>Florida?

    > Noope. Ryanair is a UK-based budget airline and only flies within
    > Europe.

    Up to a point, Lord Copper. Luton is most definitely not within
    Europe, at least according to its demographic.

    R.

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Richard
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
    > >
    > >>Ryan air? Are you talking about flight that burned and crashed in
    > >>Florida?

    > > Noope. Ryanair is a UK-based budget airline and only flies within
    > > Europe.

    > Up to a point, Lord Copper. Luton is most definitely not within
    > Europe, at least according to its demographic.

    YA Uncle Marvo AICMFP.

    If you are choking on an ice cube, simply pour a jug of boiling water
    down your throat and presto! The blockage is almost instantly removed.

  11. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
    > >
    > >>Ryan air? Are you talking about flight that burned and crashed in
    > >>Florida?

    > > Noope. Ryanair is a UK-based budget airline and only flies within
    > > Europe.

    I thought it was Eire based

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Richard
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ryan air? Are you talking about flight that burned and crashed in
    >>>Florida?

    >> Noope. Ryanair is a UK-based budget airline and only flies within
    >> Europe.

    > Up to a point, Lord Copper. Luton is most definitely not within
    > Europe, at least according to its demographic.

    Isn't it? I thought it was in England somewhere?

    Ryanair, of course, being an /Irish/ based Airline, but as far as I know
    it only flies within Europe. Yup, just checked their website, I was
    right.

    [ This mind intentionally left blank ]

  13. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:55:33 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > Ryan air? Are you talking about flight that burned and crashed in
    > Florida? Those were OXYGEN not co2. And they were much bigger than the
    > tiny bike co2 carts.

    That was ValuJet, and they were carrying chemical oxygen generators, not
    pressurised bottles.

    Mike

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    > > Dave Larrington wrote:

    > > > Noope. Ryanair is a UK-based budget airline and only flies within
    > > > Europe.

    > I thought it was Eire based

    'tis true that they started in Ireland but AFAICT they have more big UK
    operations than anywhere else. Whatever they classify themselves as,
    though, they don't crash in Florida :)

    My liver is evil, and must be punished.

  15. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Buy them at the far end. Every bike shop has them these days. But do
    >>> practice using one first - there is enough gas in one to pump a tyre
    >>> up hard, but there's none to waste.

    >> And they have bike shops at every airport do they?

    > They have taxis at every airport a folding bike will fit into.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Can you name an airport that a folding bike will not fit into? ;-) I
    thought the idea of a folding bike was to eliminate taxis from the budget.

  16. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:

    >"Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>> And they have bike shops at every airport do they?

    >> They have taxis at every airport a folding bike will fit into.

    >Can you name an airport that a folding bike will not fit into? ;-) I
    >thought the idea of a folding bike was to eliminate taxis from the budget.

    The point of the folding bike in this case (back to the OP) is to
    eliminate a potentially uncomfortable rental bike.

  17. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>> And they have bike shops at every airport do they?

    >> They have taxis at every airport a folding bike will fit into.

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Can you name an airport that a folding bike will not fit into? ;-) I
    > thought the idea of a folding bike was to eliminate taxis from the budget.

    Not necessarily. Part of the attraction is to be able to avoid the
    airline charges for bicycles. Part of the attraction is to be able to
    take it on trains. Riding away from the airport on your bike is not
    always the goal.

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>> Buy them at the far end. Every bike shop has them these days. But do
    >>> practice using one first - there is enough gas in one to pump a tyre
    >>> up hard, but there's none to waste.

    >> And they have bike shops at every airport do they?

    > They have taxis at every airport a folding bike will fit into.

    Get in a taxi at Heathrow and ask them to take you to the nearest bike
    shop and you will pay more than the cost of the pucker carrying suitcase.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  19. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    Phil and SMS--of course you are rigjht. The OP's reasons for wanting to
    take the folder on the plane are not just to avoid using a taxi. I was
    putting my own slant on it. Still, it DOES seem a shame to need a taxi to
    make the bike rideable.

    There must be someplace at the airport that could let her use an air hose.
    I'll bet they have air at the car rental places. Or, how about this? EFR
    (the OP) flutters her eyelids at some likely male and holds up her pump with
    an appropriate helpless look. I know I would respond.