Folding Bikes on Planes - Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Elisa Francesca Roselli, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Leo Lichtman wrote:

    > There must be someplace at the airport that could let her use an air hose.
    > I'll bet they have air at the car rental places. Or, how about this? EFR
    > (the OP) flutters her eyelids at some likely male and holds up her pump with
    > an appropriate helpless look. I know I would respond.

    That's sweet of you, Leo, but I think you'd be responding to the bike
    rather than to me.

    Seriously, though, I don't think the first thing I want to do upon
    arrival in a foreign city is to put myself at the mercy of a taxi
    driver, with whom I may have no language in common, to take me to a
    bike shop, at an undesignated location, on the offchance that they may
    have C02 in cannisters. Much more sensible to go straight to the hotel, no?

    It seems Czech Airlines is the carrier with the most reasonable policy
    towards bikes - they should let me take Fly in a suitcase without
    surcharge, provided the whole does not exceed 23 kg.

    EFR
    Ile de France

  2. Andy Gee wrote:

    > First, I must say that "Flyzipper" is an intriguing name in English. Are
    > you translating from French? Does it have the same connotation in French?

    Indeed. I named him "Eclair de braguette" and searched about desperately
    for an English equivalent.

    > Second, I used to ride to the airport with my carry-on in a duffel bag on
    > my back, take the carry-on out, fold up the bike and put it in the bag and
    > check it, then reverse the process at my destination. No parking fee or
    > taxi at the airport, no rental car at the destination. Never had a problem
    > with the bike until _after_ 9/11 when the TSA got in the habit of taking
    > apart things with hollow metal tubes.

    If they take my Flyzipper apart, they'll make a terrorist of ME! ;°<

    EFR
    Ile de France

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

    > It seems Czech Airlines is the carrier with the most reasonable policy
    > towards bikes - they should let me take Fly in a suitcase without
    > surcharge, provided the whole does not exceed 23 kg.

    Better that RuinAir who now plan to charge you for checking in baggage.
    Expect to soon see a seatbelt usage charge and supplement if you want
    a pilot on the plane.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  4. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:56:56 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

    > Better that RuinAir who now plan to charge you for checking in baggage.
    > Expect to soon see a seatbelt usage charge and supplement if you want
    > a pilot on the plane.

    Cast a glance at PPrune and you'll see that Ryanair have borked their
    pilots' permitted flying hours and they have no pilots available to fly
    the planes.....

    http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206892

    Mike

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Seriously, though, I don't think the first thing I want to do upon arrival
    > in a foreign city is to put myself at the mercy of a taxi driver, with
    > whom I may have no language in common, to take me to a bike shop, at an
    > undesignated location, on the offchance that they may have C02 in
    > cannisters. Much more sensible to go straight to the hotel, no?

    I didn't think common sense was allowed in a newsgroup posting after the
    20th reply ;)

    Get one of the pumps recommended earlier. That should do it.

  6. Tony Raven wrote:
    > Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    > >
    > > It seems Czech Airlines is the carrier with the most reasonable policy
    > > towards bikes - they should let me take Fly in a suitcase without
    > > surcharge, provided the whole does not exceed 23 kg.
    > >

    > Better that RuinAir who now plan to charge you for checking in baggage.
    > Expect to soon see a seatbelt usage charge and supplement if you want
    > a pilot on the plane.

    Oh! Oh! Pick me! That would be a *fun* flight (though the landing might
    be a bit white-knuckle.)