Folding bikes/small wheels club

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
There was a big group of them at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway
yesterday (I was there with the CTC run). Are they organised? is
anyone a member?

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> There was a big group of them at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway
> yesterday (I was there with the CTC run). Are they organised? is
> anyone a member?

Swindon Smallwheels
Third Saturday of each month. Meet 10:00am onwards at Food Hall,
Designer Outlet Village (10 minute walk from Swindon Station - exit
station foot-tunnel, turn right following signposts for the Designer
Outlet Village) for coffee and a chat, 11:30 for a cycle-path ride and
pub lunch.
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Tony Raven wrote:

> Swindon Smallwheels
> Third Saturday of each month. Meet 10:00am onwards at Food Hall,
> Designer Outlet Village (10 minute walk from Swindon Station - exit
> station foot-tunnel, turn right following signposts for the Designer
> Outlet Village) for coffee and a chat, 11:30 for a cycle-path ride and
> pub lunch.
> http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

Thanks - the wonders of the electroweb!

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:27 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:
>

>>Designer Outlet Village

> Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means. Lie if you
> need to.

Hey, don't make /us/ responsible for the deep recesses of your sordid
imagination :)

Peter

--
www.amey.org.uk

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:27 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:

> >Designer Outlet Village

> Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means. Lie if you
> need to.

> Guy

It are not the Northern Sewage Outfall.

I specked it's a large shopping centre place, where the prices are not
_quite_ as excessive as they were for the 'Original Designer' items

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:27 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:
>
>> Designer Outlet Village

> Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means. Lie if you
> need to.

I'd be lying if I told you it doesn't mean what you think it means ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:27 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:
>

>>Designer Outlet Village

> Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means. Lie if you
> need to.

Lots of bargain clothes to be had if you are of a body size which is
either anorexic or morbidly obese (not much in between). And there's
even a Burberry store for the chavs, of which Swindon is well supplied.

Surreally, it's right next to, and shares car parking facilities with,
the GWR Steam museum. Here's an ASCII Venn diagram of the two customer
populations:

O O

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I specked it's a large shopping centre place, where the prices are not
> _quite_ as excessive as they were for the 'Original Designer' items

Sure 'tis.
Last time I went it had Harry Ramsden's designer chips too.

John B

John B wrote:

> Last time I went it had Harry Ramsden's designer chips too.

With the magnificent "Hagley Hall" presiding over the eating area and
looking as if it can't quite believe it's been reduced to this existence
when all its mates are in the Steam museum next door. Still, it was
built literally yards from where it is parked now, which is the point.

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:27 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> said in <[email protected]>:
>
>>Designer Outlet Village

> Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means. Lie if you
> need to.

It is a collectivity of emporia where the gullible willingly buy
overpriced tat in the (almost certainly mistaken) belief that the same
tat is offered for sale at even more exorbitant prices elsewhere.

;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:58:27 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> > said in <[email protected]>:
> >

> >>Designer Outlet Village

> > Please tell me that doesn't mean what I think it means. Lie if you
> > need to.

> Lots of bargain clothes to be had if you are of a body size which is
> either anorexic or morbidly obese (not much in between). And there's
> even a Burberry store for the chavs, of which Swindon is well supplied.
>
> Surreally, it's right next to, and shares car parking facilities with,
> the GWR Steam museum. Here's an ASCII Venn diagram of the two customer
> populations:
>
> O O

A bit harsh, (but not too harsh).

Regularly go to both. The museum is without doubt one of the finest in
the land. Go NOW! before they are forced to close it. Just listen to
the interviews with the people who used to work there. I also get my
Devon Fix (TM) by watching a fine model railway of home (Teignmouth).

I used to attend Swindon Open Days when I was younger, now I just get
to buy Ted Baker shirts at a discount. Rather sad really.

regards,
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

MartinM wrote:

>>>Designer Outlet Village

> AFAICT it means "some shops"

ITYM "some shops selling the same **** as elsewhere but for more money".

R.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I specked it's a large shopping centre place, where the prices are not
> _quite_ as excessive as they were for the 'Original Designer' items

Heh. Make a "designer" jacket using cheap labour, costing
50 quid max.

Give it an RRP of 600 quid.

Someone buys it at 300 quid and thinks they've
got a bargain.

"Heh" again.

BugBear

Richard wrote:

> > AFAICT it means "some shops"

> ITYM "some shops selling the same **** as elsewhere but for more money".

or even completely different **** (but still for more money). How long
does an item have to be on sale in a proper shop before it can be sold
at an outlet, and then again before it ends up in TK Maxx for 9.99?

There is a Reeboc Oulet in Brighton marina; don't know why they open it
more than once a week as that is when the normal sized stuff arrives
and is promptly cleared out.

MartinM wrote:

> or even completely different **** (but still for more money). How long
> does an item have to be on sale in a proper shop before it can be sold
> at an outlet, and then again before it ends up in TK Maxx for 9.99?

Which, oddly enough, is called TJ Maxx in the US. Why the namechange?

R, veering wildly offtopic.

Richard wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > or even completely different **** (but still for more money). How long
> > does an item have to be on sale in a proper shop before it can be sold
> > at an outlet, and then again before it ends up in TK Maxx for 9.99?

> Which, oddly enough, is called TJ Maxx in the US. Why the namechange?

there is a TJ Hughes in the UK which also sells cheap (non-designer)
rubbish such as dvd's you have never heard of and TV's almost
exclusively Goodmans and Alba, perhaps to avoid confusion? (although
the latter is easy to spot as it doesn't resemble a jumble sale)