Folding bikes - standard and electric

francisjohn

Oct 22, 2007
My wife and I are considering the purchase of folding bicycles, principally for use when travelling in our motorcaravan. We anticipate using them principally on designated cycle tracks, disused railway tracks etc as well as on road. We would be looking to purchase a compact lightweight unit which would imply small wheels, but I assume that this would not be a contraindication to the sort of use we envisage. Recently I have received e-mail adverts for similar cycles but with the addition of optional electrical powered assistance. This idea quite appeals, so any advice would be appreciated, together with recommendations for particular models that should be considered.

I think you need to consider the ADDED WEIGHT of the electric motor + battery resulting in (I'm guessing) at least 10 more pounds of weght that you would have to hoist onto-and-off-of your motorcaravan's rack OR down the fold-out steps. How inconvenient will that be ... or, become?

Hi

If you are looking for a space-saving bike with all the features of a full-size bike, you should seriously consider a Montague. They are full-size foldable bikes, rather than a commuter style folding bike with small wheels and skinny frame. They fold really easily and, unlike the commuter type folders, they look (and more importantly) feel, like a full-size bike when riding. This is principally because the frame has not been cut anywhere to have a hinge inserted for design convenience.

The Montague F.I.T. (Folding Integrated Technology) system is a really clever patented idea that employs a concentric seat-tube design that allows the bike to fold completely in half. Hinges can wear over time and give a folding bike all the ride qualities of a wet noodle! Although rare, there have been instances of hinged bikes folding whilst being ridden (gulp!) . This cannot happen with a Montague as the F.I.T. system has a sprung loaded quick-release mechanism on the frame. So even if the quick release is left undone (highly unlikely anyway), the bike couldn't fold because the spring keeps the skewer taught (phew!).

Because Montague bikes use all industry-standard components (serviceable at any bike shop), it means they have a full range of gears, decent brakes and can take a quick release seatpost rack and all other standard accessories. They are perfect for motor caravanners, boating, light aircraft, etc., or just for keeping in the boot of a car (park & ride!) or storing in a tight spot in your home or office.

UK site at: www.montague-uk.com, US sites at: www.montague.com and www.militarybikes.com

If you are in the UK, I also know of a company that converts Montague bikes to electrically assisted models - and they still fold!

Good luck and stay away from the hinges!

alfeng said:
I think you need to consider the ADDED WEIGHT of the electric motor + battery resulting in (I'm guessing) at least 10 more pounds of weght that you would have to hoist onto-and-off-of your motorcaravan's rack OR down the fold-out steps. How inconvenient will that be ... or, become?

Many thanks for your quick response. The added weight as you rightly say is a factor to consider.

MontyMan said:
Hi

If you are looking for a space-saving bike with all the features of a full-size bike, you should seriously consider a Montague. They are full-size foldable bikes, rather than a commuter style folding bike with small wheels and skinny frame. They fold really easily and, unlike the commuter type folders, they look (and more importantly) feel, like a full-size bike when riding. This is principally because the frame has not been cut anywhere to have a hinge inserted for design convenience.

The Montague F.I.T. (Folding Integrated Technology) system is a really clever patented idea that employs a concentric seat-tube design that allows the bike to fold completely in half. Hinges can wear over time and give a folding bike all the ride qualities of a wet noodle! Although rare, there have been instances of hinged bikes folding whilst being ridden (gulp!) . This cannot happen with a Montague as the F.I.T. system has a sprung loaded quick-release mechanism on the frame. So even if the quick release is left undone (highly unlikely anyway), the bike couldn't fold because the spring keeps the skewer taught (phew!).

Because Montague bikes use all industry-standard components (serviceable at any bike shop), it means they have a full range of gears, decent brakes and can take a quick release seatpost rack and all other standard accessories. They are perfect for motor caravanners, boating, light aircraft, etc., or just for keeping in the boot of a car (park & ride!) or storing in a tight spot in your home or office.

UK site at: www.montague-uk.com, US sites at: www.montague.com and www.militarybikes.com

If you are in the UK, I also know of a company that converts Montague bikes to electrically assisted models - and they still fold!

Good luck and stay away from the hinges!

Thank you very much for this most detailed and intersting information. I have visited the Montague website and will certainly persue this line of enquiry. Although I probably wont go for the retrofit option of electric power, perhaps you could let me have the details of the firm you metioned just in case!!

Best wishes...