Folding Tire too Tight for Rim

bicycle_disciple

Guest
Hi all,

I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
"pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
out?

B.D

In article
<4b8f80f8-04e6-4900-9499-a7173c8122af@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
bicycle_disciple <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>
> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is
> to get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there
> for sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as
> hell because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway.
> Whats the "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less
> gory way out?

Some combinations of rims and tires don't work well. Rims are sometimes
a tiny bit oversized, tires are sometimes a tiny bit undersized. This
might be one of those combinations.

On May 30, 9:48 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <4b8f80f8-04e6-4900-9499-a7173c812...@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>

> bicycle_disciple <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> > muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> > clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> > but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> > difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

> > When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> > how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is
> > to get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there
> > for sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as
> > hell because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway.
> > Whats the "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less
> > gory way out?

> Some combinations of rims and tires don't work well. Rims are sometimes
> a tiny bit oversized, tires are sometimes a tiny bit undersized. This
> might be one of those combinations.

Wow, thats upsetting. Clearly someone hasn't met their tolerances. I'm
not going to blame the wheel manufacturer HED since I've installed
many folding tires in the past with no problems. This is my first
Deda, and they've already run unpopular with me. It says its a high
TPI open tubular so I guess that means they're hand made as well which
explains the dimensional discrepancies.

B.D

On May 30, 7:17 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>
> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
> out?
>
> B.D

The pro technique is to try massage the tire beads into the center of
the rim which is a little deeper. this should create a little bit of
slack that would allow to get the stuborn part of the tire into the
rim. Basically you insert one bead all the way in. Then you inser the
other bead until you cannot go any further. At this point, you should
go around the tire massaging the beads towards the center of the rim.
to get it into the rim.

If this does not work, there is a special tool that pinches the tire
and forces it into the rim. However, you can clamp the tire with some
plyers and force it into the rim too. However, using the described
technique, I have never failed to install the most stubborn tires into
rims. I can also get pretty much any tire out of the rim. Hope that th
helps,

Andres

On May 30, 10:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 30, 7:17 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,

> > I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> > muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> > clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> > but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> > difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

> > When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> > how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
> > get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
> > sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
> > because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
> > "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
> > out?

> > B.D

> The pro technique is to try massage the tire beads into the center of
> the rim which is a little deeper. this should create a little bit of
> slack that would allow to get the stuborn part of the tire into the
> rim. Basically you insert one bead all the way in. Then you inser the
> other bead until you cannot go any further. At this point, you should
> go around the tire massaging the beads towards the center of the rim.
> to get it into the rim.
>
> If this does not work, there is a special tool that pinches the tire
> and forces it into the rim. However, you can clamp the tire with some
> plyers and force it into the rim too. However, using the described
> technique, I have never failed to install the most stubborn tires into
> rims. I can also get pretty much any tire out of the rim. Hope that th
> helps,
>
> Andres

Thanks Andres.

I got the first tube and tire in after half and hour. Rear wheel
coming up. Wow, what a waste of time. I wish I had more patience. I
guess after this first time, it should be okay.

B.D

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> On May 30, 10:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On May 30, 7:17 pm, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
>>> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
>>> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
>>> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
>>> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>>> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
>>> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
>>> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
>>> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
>>> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
>>> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
>>> out?
>>> B.D

>> The pro technique is to try massage the tire beads into the center of
>> the rim which is a little deeper. this should create a little bit of
>> slack that would allow to get the stuborn part of the tire into the
>> rim. Basically you insert one bead all the way in. Then you inser the
>> other bead until you cannot go any further. At this point, you should
>> go around the tire massaging the beads towards the center of the rim.
>> to get it into the rim.
>>
>> If this does not work, there is a special tool that pinches the tire
>> and forces it into the rim. However, you can clamp the tire with some
>> plyers and force it into the rim too. However, using the described
>> technique, I have never failed to install the most stubborn tires into
>> rims. I can also get pretty much any tire out of the rim. Hope that th
>> helps,
>>
>> Andres

> Thanks Andres.
>
> I got the first tube and tire in after half and hour. Rear wheel
> coming up. Wow, what a waste of time. I wish I had more patience. I
> guess after this first time, it should be okay.
>
> B.D

Get some different tires. Chances are, they'll go on easier. If you
stay with this nightmarish combination you have now, you'll run out of
censored vocabulary long before you are able to fix a flat. You need to
be able to get them on and off with your hands alone.

Cal

On May 30, 10:32 pm, Me <[email protected]> wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
> > On May 30, 10:15 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> The pro technique is to try massage the tire beads into the center of
> >> the rim which is a little deeper. this should create a little bit of
> >> slack that would allow to get the stuborn part of the tire into the
> >> rim. Basically you insert one bead all the way in. Then you inser the
> >> other bead until you cannot go any further. At this point, you should
> >> go around the tire massaging the beads towards the center of the rim.
> >> to get it into the rim.

> >> If this does not work, there is a special tool that pinches the tire
> >> and forces it into the rim. However, you can clamp the tire with some
> >> plyers and force it into the rim too. However, using the described
> >> technique, I have never failed to install the most stubborn tires into
> >> rims. I can also get pretty much any tire out of the rim. Hope that th
> >> helps,

> >> Andres

> > Thanks Andres.

> > I got the first tube and tire in after half and hour. Rear wheel
> > coming up. Wow, what a waste of time. I wish I had more patience. I
> > guess after this first time, it should be okay.

> > B.D

> Get some different tires. Chances are, they'll go on easier. If you
> stay with this nightmarish combination you have now, you'll run out of
> censored vocabulary long before you are able to fix a flat. You need to
> be able to get them on and off with your hands alone.
>
> Cal

:) I think I can manage. Don't take offense at the bad vocab. Some guy
posted something elsewhere here saying he'd like to kill bikers. That
ticked me off....
I won't give up easily with these tires. Boy, they're expensive
clinchers. I didn't buy them to look at them sitting in the closet.
Worse comes to worst, I'll probably heat it up with a hair dryer or
something :)

B.D

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> On May 30, 10:32 pm, Me <[email protected]> wrote:
>> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>>> Thanks Andres.
>>> I got the first tube and tire in after half and hour. Rear wheel
>>> coming up. Wow, what a waste of time. I wish I had more patience. I
>>> guess after this first time, it should be okay.
>>> B.D

>> Get some different tires. Chances are, they'll go on easier. If you
>> stay with this nightmarish combination you have now, you'll run out of
>> censored vocabulary long before you are able to fix a flat. You need to
>> be able to get them on and off with your hands alone.
>>
>> Cal

> :) I think I can manage. Don't take offense at the bad vocab. Some guy
> posted something elsewhere here saying he'd like to kill bikers. That
> ticked me off....
> I won't give up easily with these tires. Boy, they're expensive
> clinchers. I didn't buy them to look at them sitting in the closet.
> Worse comes to worst, I'll probably heat it up with a hair dryer or
> something :)
>
> B.D

I meant that you may run out of variety in your cursing if you decide to
stay with this combination because it won't be fun to deal with out on
the side of the road when you get a flat. As someone pointed out, tires
vary in tightness by manufacturer. You could find an easier tire to
deal, though it would be a trial-and-error thing.

Cal

On May 31, 12:01 am, Me <[email protected]> wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
> >> Get some different tires. Chances are, they'll go on easier. If you
> >> stay with this nightmarish combination you have now, you'll run out of
> >> censored vocabulary long before you are able to fix a flat. You need to
> >> be able to get them on and off with your hands alone.

> >> Cal

> > :) I think I can manage. Don't take offense at the bad vocab. Some guy
> > posted something elsewhere here saying he'd like to kill bikers. That
> > ticked me off....
> > I won't give up easily with these tires. Boy, they're expensive
> > clinchers. I didn't buy them to look at them sitting in the closet.
> > Worse comes to worst, I'll probably heat it up with a hair dryer or
> > something :)

> > B.D

> I meant that you may run out of variety in your cursing if you decide to
> stay with this combination because it won't be fun to deal with out on
> the side of the road when you get a flat. As someone pointed out, tires
> vary in tightness by manufacturer. You could find an easier tire to
> deal, though it would be a trial-and-error thing.
>
> Cal

I managed both on. The trick to do this, well, before I tell you, I'll
have to patent it :) I NEED something back in return for all that
pain.

Thanks!

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>
> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
> out?
>

> B.D

Three things usually work:

1) Try fitting it without the tube first, using tyre levers. Sometimes
this stretches the bead slightly.

2) Get loads of talc on the tube.

3) Before the final push, check the beads are in the middle of the rim
everywhere else round the wheel.

The good news is that kevlar beads always become much looser after a
couple of weeks on the rim, so subsequent puncture repair isn't the
nightmare you'd expect.

On May 31, 3:17 am, bicycle_disciple <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>
> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
> out?
>
> B.D

A little dish-soap helps sometimes. Makes grabbing the rest of the
wheel hard if you get it all over the place, though. Nice supple tires
like those tires will loosen up a bit after they have been mounted.

Flat tires like those (and Veloflex, etc) go on nicely if you get the
first bead toward the middle, and fold the tread over in a way. So it
sort of looks like an uninflated tubular.

Make sure with nice wheels and tires like those you have tubes that
are fast too. It would be a shame to waste a combo like that with slow
tubes.

Joseph

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
>> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
>> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
>> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
>> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>>
>> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
>> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
>> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
>> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
>> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
>> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
>> out?
>>

>> B.D

> Three things usually work:
>
> 1) Try fitting it without the tube first, using tyre levers. Sometimes
> this stretches the bead slightly.
>
> 2) Get loads of talc on the tube.
>
> 3) Before the final push, check the beads are in the middle of the rim
> everywhere else round the wheel.
>
> The good news is that kevlar beads always become much looser after a
> couple of weeks on the rim, so subsequent puncture repair isn't the
> nightmare you'd expect.

....and as a coda to this, I removed a Vredestein Fortezza - the tightest
tyre I've ever had to fit - using two hub QR levers yesterday. No problem.

Nearly all folding tires are built undersized because, unlike steel, the
kevlar used for the bead stretches somewhat. One good tip I've heard is
to mount a new foldy on a spare rim and store it slightly over inflated
for a while. this pre-stretches the bead a little, making mounting
easier. It's actually an old tubular (sew-up) trick.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

>> bicycle_disciple wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
>>> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
>>> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
>>> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
>>> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>>>
>>> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
>>> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
>>> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
>>> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
>>> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
>>> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
>>> out?
>>>

>>> B.D

Lots of good tips posted already, but if and when they aren't enough for
you, /the/ tool, IMHO, is the VAR tire tool. It's #425 on this page:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/var/pages/var0051.html

It works, period.

I've got several and wouldn't be without it, having several tight
tire/rim combinations in my stable. (True, most tires need no levers at
all, but some /do/)

My US sources for this tool have dried up (Terry bicycles, third hand,
etc.), and a quick Google only found me UK sources, but I'm sure you can
find them if you want to spend more than a few minutes looking.

Best of luck,

Mark J.

www.SharonFund.com

"bicycle_disciple" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.
>
> When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
> get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
> sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
> because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
> "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
> out?
>

> B.D

Rim tape can occupy lots of room you might need to make installation of a
tight tire easier. Try VeloPlugs from Velocity (I think they'll work on a
HED wheel), or the very thinnest tape (Zipp makes nice thin but protective
tape and I like Ritchey snap-on rim bands for tighter rims) to free up every
micro-mm of space possible. Velox rim tape takes up quite a bit of room and
is not my first choice when tires are twight (like tiger)... I think HED
rims have no channel in the center of the rim bed which makes installing
tires tough... Watch this vid and see if it helps...
http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?vi...-to-change-a-tube&option=com_content&Itemid=3

On Jun 2, 3:14 am, "BFWG" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Watch this vid and see if it helps...http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?view=article&id=107:how-to-change-...

No offense intended, but I'd like to shoot this vid over and give Mr.
Beefy the old (cheap, wire bead) Conti tire and Campy rim combo I had
back in the day.

"Heel of the hand", my ass.

Yeah, let's show all the ladies how to take a flying locker lip on
that valve stem! Hey, some candle light, a little wine... --D-y

On Jun 2, 2:14 am, "BFWG" <[email protected]> wrote:
> www.SharonFund.com
>
> "bicycle_disciple" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Hi all,

> > I tried this for probably 20 minutes with all the strength I can
> > muster. Basically trying to pull on a Deda Tre RS corsa folding
> > clincher 700 x 23c onto my HED Jet road rims. Folding tires are nice
> > but new ones are difficult to mount. I have never had so much
> > difficulty in the past with any tire than this one.

> > When it came in the box, it was nice and pancake flat and I wondered
> > how it'll ever attain the round shape. What I tried doing so far is to
> > get the tire on the rim without the tube and leaving it on there for
> > sometime to "stretch out". But the tube is going to be hard as hell
> > because I don't see any space for it to get in there anyway. Whats the
> > "pro" technique here, bleeding hands and skill or any less gory way
> > out?

> > B.D

> Rim tape can occupy lots of room you might need to make installation of a
> tight tire easier. Try VeloPlugs from Velocity (I think they'll work on a
> HED wheel), or the very thinnest tape (Zipp makes nice thin but protective
> tape and I like Ritchey snap-on rim bands for tighter rims) to free up every
> micro-mm of space possible. Velox rim tape takes up quite a bit of room and
> is not my first choice when tires are twight (like tiger)... I think HED
> rims have no channel in the center of the rim bed which makes installing
> tires tough... Watch this vid and see if it helps...http://www.cycleto.com/index.php?view=article&id=107:how-to-change-...

The video shows the installation of a tire which is pretty loose. If
the tire is tight, he wont be able to get it in so quickly. He will
need to go around the whole tire to get the beads in the middle of the
rim. Once he does that, it may still be very tight. He will need to
try to roll the tire in with his palms, but he won't get enough force
to do so from that position. He will probably have to put the valve
side of the wheel on the floor, and the opposite end facing up. Using
his weight and a lot of strength he may be able to massage and roll
the tire into the rim.

Andres