Folding tires, 23 or 25?

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
Hi!
smile.png

Since Alienator says that I am the fastest, most skilled, most good looking cyclist he ever seen I am thinking of treating my self with a pair of new tires.
big-smile.png

Quote: Originally Posted by alienator Volnix is the fastest, most skilled, most good looking cyclist I ever seen!
love.png
love.png
love.png

I have read so many things about these continental GP4000 S ones and I think I am grabbing the bait...

Basically I also looked at the GP4000 S ver. II but they dont have them in that shop that I found a good deal. They also say that basically the ver. II ones differ only in the color arrangments but they also say that the latest GP4000 S' s are "kinda better" then the first ones... Anyway it comes down to this:

They have an offer on 23mm GP4000S ones, 2 for 54euro. Its a pretty good price since in the LBS's around here they sell for about 50euro each...

They dont have an offer for 25mm ones but a pair of them costs around 58euro... Just 4 euro more...

It says somewhere that except the little bit of extra weight and the little less aerodynamic profile the 25mm ones actually run smoother and have less rolling resistance then the 23mm.

At the moment I am riding on a pair of training wire 25mm ones so either is gonna feel like a new bike probably. But is there an advantage on either 25 or 23mm?

Thanks.
smile.png

Well, alien tells us we all corner faster, roll with less rolling resistance, have greater flywheel effect, climb faster, enjoy a smoother ride and get even better looking on heavier, wider tires. Except you won't be able to tell if there's any improvement in those areas because you're just a silly human and have no powers of objective observation and completely lack instrumentation and have collected absolutely zero data.

The wide tires will also make alien even more in love with you, therefore, go with the narrow ones. Avoid his gay love and tune in to Duck Dynasty.

I guess there is only one way to be sure...
nerd.png

A (scientific) experiment that passes the "Alien - Trollofsky" scientific super accurate and mind boggling standard (the scientific grade one).

We wrap Alienator in the 23mm tires and roll him down a cliff with a salt covered ****-genous surface and then we repeat using the 25mm tires. The ones that roll Alienator to the bottom of the cliff faster must be the ones with the less rolling resistance.
wink.png
big-smile.png

Here's a graph: (plenty more from were that came from
confused.png
)

from: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Continental_GP_4000_S_II_3946.html

Graphs?!?!

That ain't no kind of data!!! Not unless you post the one showing us that if we loosen up our spokes 2-1/4 turns each, we'll go faster, live longer, marry four supermodel wives of our same Mormon faith (thank you, Utah, Latter Day Saints and some dufus judge!) and not get busted for Clenbuterol.

You really want to test fatter tires on the cheap?

Walmart can help you out for only $199!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Beast-Men-s-Oversized-All-Terrain-Bike/22861845

Look at it this way...you can skip the 25's and go right up to damned near 100 MM! That should prove to alien how much love you got!

Yeah, no way those are going to fit your bike, but look at it like this...for the low price of only two bones you get the 6 PSI floaters with a free bike attached! Lose the chain guard, add a rattle-can paint job, clamp on a bottle cage and go prove the scientific truths (Note: "scientific truths"â„¢ are for use only by qualified scientists) that wider tires will corner better, climb faster and have the gypsy girls all over you.

He's dead, Jim!

I found a vid of a young alien conducting double blind stoopid experiment on rolling resistance.

0.jpg

Data must be repeatable, so with significant head injuries we find him at a slightly older stage in life repeating his experiment...

0.jpg

GP 4000s run kind of wide anyway, so if you buy 23s, you're actually getting a 24mm tire.

I'm told that Vittoria Open Corsa CXs in 25 are really boss, though..

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
that wider tires will corner better, climb faster and have the gypsy girls all over you.
love.png

I thought that they would only make the bike fast beyond measurable speeds and make it able to make various beverages whilst on the move... but... Gypsy girls too? I got to have them!
big-smile.png

0.jpg

0.jpg

So apparently the 25mm ones have less rolling resistance but in wattage they need more power to hold the same speed with a 23mm tire... Thats what the "elders of the internet" say...
big-smile.png

Exactly. And someone can post a graph that proves it. Scientifically.

Now...let's get back to rolling alien down a canyon. We do need more data.

Exactly. And someone can post a graph that proves it. Scientifically.

Now...let's get back to rolling alien down a canyon. We do need more data.
Too true... I will send him a spam message that I am a politically bullied young hot racer which also enjoys having sultry images painted on my bicycle forks and need some help with some "tire testing".
big-smile.png

Its too bad that continental makes all these different color - widths combinations... I guess we are gonna have to test them all! Its a bit of hard work but the cycling science needs it!
big-smile.png

You judge a man by the size of his rubber, and the resistance to female attraction is proportional. Will come back once I get a graph.
tongue.png

Originally Posted by WillemJM
You judge a man by the size of his rubber, and the resistance to female attraction is proportional. Will come back once I get a graph.
tongue.png
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
So is it about length or girth?
Mumbo Jumbo!!!
big-smile.png

0.jpg

PS:

big-smile.png

0.jpg

I'm thinking that guy looking for size 54 cycling shoes would laugh at the graphs.

Quote taken directly off the intarwebz from OBC a mere scroll or two above this:
"So is it about length or girth?"

Both...unless connected to a battery-powered Sawzall!

And...let us not forget weight! That's really how Sosenka got the Record Of The Hour. He weighted up his Gold Member and smoked Fast Eddy at the Tilted Kilt Track & Bar.

I can save 9 Watts going 2 MM wider at 40 KPH and another Watt if I spend $400 on huge derailleur pulleys with ceramic bearings! If I use the right chain lube I'n certain to get picked up by a Pro Tour team!

I can save 9 Watts going 2 MM wider at 40 KPH and another Watt if I spend $400 on huge derailleur pulleys with ceramic bearings!
Dooooooooo you now???
big-smile.png

0.jpg