Folding tires - should I use them.

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I've only ever used beaded non-folding tires - what are the benefits of a folding tyre?

They are still beaded tires right? (excuse the ignorance)

janiejones said:
I've only ever used beaded non-folding tires - what are the benefits of a folding tyre?

They are still beaded tires right? (excuse the ignorance)

Still have a bead, but it is usually something like kevlar instead of the stiff wire. Big benefits are weight (maybe not a huge diff) and more importantly ease of installation. Also, you can fold a spare up and bring it along for the ride. Also, you often see a higher end tire in the folding range.

Weird mix of "tyre" and "tire" in the same post......

Lighter, easier to fit, carry one as a spare..

most premium tyres only come as folders now too!

Cheers

Yep,

Foldables are the way to go. The only advantage with wire beaded tyres is that occasionally they are on sale for less. (shops probably getting rid of old stock as they are on the way out of fashion).... Still nothing wrong with them either mind you apart from what's already been said. I use them for training because they are often available for a bargain. I Race on foldables only though. Conti - GP3000, Force/Attack & Supersonic..... Way to Go!

Cheers Jay.

And as folders become the norm, the cheaper ranges are folders now too.

Vittoria Rubino Pro at about $15 over there I expect (they are about £12 here) are great value and its a fine tyre to have with you as a spare in winter whatever you have on the wheels.

Becuase they are so compact, they are easier to post and this means that big volume mail orders suppliers like them and stock them and this will help keep prices lower.

... and dont forget the priceless WTF look your non-cyclist buddies get as you casually fold up a round tyre like it were a piece of clothing! :D