Folding tires/ third nerve palsy

Brian And Denis

Guest
Hi,

My wife put on a pair of foldable clinchers a couple weeks ago. She had never used them before, only
the non-folding type. She suffered a front pinch flat and a pretty nasty wipe out.

My question is: are foldable tires known for lack of control when they flat? Or was it due to the
pinch flat?

We don't know exactly what happened as the concussion she received from the accident (yes, she was
wearing a helmet) prevents her from remembering the event. By looking at the bike and the accident
site, she blew the tire and the front wheel immediately slipped left while she was in her aero bars,
leaving her right forehead and shoulder blade to take the impact of the pavement.

Also, has anyone known of anyone who has suffered a crash involving head trauma where the person has
suffered a third nerve palsy? Or any cranial nerve palsy for that matter? In other words, in the
case of the third cranial nerve, the nerve to one of the eyes was bruised or contused causing it not
to work. The person's eyelid is closed and the 4 of the 6 eye muscles don't work. Just curious, as
she also is suffering from this. It should recover within a year, I was just curious as to whether
or not anyone has seen this.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian

As a neurosurgeon and tri, I have seen most of the injuries including fatal.

Sewups are most stable in a flat as they tend to flat slower, but then can explode as well. third
nerve palsies may resolve over time.

"Brian and Denise Pauley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My question is: are foldable tires known for lack of control when they flat? Or was it due to the
> pinch flat? Also, has anyone known of anyone who has suffered a crash involving head trauma where
> the person has suffered a third nerve palsy? Or any cranial nerve palsy for that matter? In other
> words, in the case of the third cranial nerve, the nerve to one of the eyes was bruised or
> contused causing it not to work. The person's eyelid is closed and the 4 of the 6 eye muscles
> don't work. Just curious, as she also is suffering from this. It should recover within a year, I
> was just curious as to whether or not anyone has seen this.
>

> Brian

My experience with foldable clinchers are that they provide more stability then normal clincher
tires. When I say stable, I mean that the foldable clinchers I have used are beaded. Beaded
clinchers don't stretch... which makes them more difficult to put on and remove. Therefore, with a
flat... they have a tendency to stay on the tire when they go flat. So, it seems that your margin
for error with foldable (beaded) clinchers are above average for clincher type tires. But, no
clincher tire has as a greater for margin for error than tubulars.

Joe Moya