Folding tyre damage

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, May 11, 2003.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from the rim
    and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The Kevlar bead has
    been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by the brake block.

    Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

    Tim

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from
    > the rim and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The
    > Kevlar bead has been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by
    > the brake block.
    >
    > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

    If I had to ask the question I'd know the answer was no. I certainly wouldn't rely on the
    opinion of someone on the 'net who's never seen the tyre. (Except my opinion, of course, which
    is bin it Danno).

    Pete

  3. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

    Depends how much of a mate he is :)

    --
    Mark

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:
    > I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from
    > the rim and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The
    > Kevlar bead has been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by
    > the brake block.
    >
    > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?
    >

    > Tim

    When I lend someone something it's on the basis 'Yes you can play, but if you break it you pay'. I'd
    consider the tyre broke and would like a replacement. I certainly wouldn't comment on its
    roadworthiness without seeing it first .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1662 Seti work units in 12668 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    > Tim Hall wrote:
    > > I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from the
    > > rim and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The Kevlar
    > > bead has been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by the brake
    > > block.
    > >
    > > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?
    > >

    > > Tim
    >
    > When I lend someone something it's on the basis 'Yes you can play, but if you break it you pay'.
    > I'd consider the tyre broke and would like a replacement. I certainly wouldn't comment on its
    > roadworthiness without seeing it first .. ;)
    >
    > --

    > Completed 1662 Seti work units in 12668 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

    ...and if he insists it's ok to use, tell him he can keep it and use it then, when he's forked out
    for a new one for you.....I'd never consider returning something if I'd borrowed it and damaged it.
    I'd definitely buy a replacement one...what kind of a friend is he, for crying out loud
    ??...obviously not as good a one as wot I yam ;-) Dave. Invoice him!!

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    I'd never consider
    > returning something if I'd borrowed it and damaged it. I'd definitely buy
    > replacement one...

    I would do the same.

    what kind of a friend is he, for crying out loud
    > ??...obviously not as good a one as wot I yam ;-) Dave. Invoice him!!

    If a good mate done this to me I wouldn't have an issue, even though I wouldn't do the same.
    Everyone's different, something's aren't as important to some as they are to others. Now tell me
    about time-keeping - I really have issues with that!

    "Invoice him" LOL :)

    --
    Mark

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 22:42:10 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

    Keep the tyre, get a new friend.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:12:35 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <onyerbikemark[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'd never consider
    >> returning something if I'd borrowed it and damaged it. I'd definitely buy
    >> replacement one...
    >
    >I would do the same.
    >

    >what kind of a friend is he, for crying out loud
    >> ??...obviously not as good a one as wot I yam ;-) Dave. Invoice him!!
    >>

    >If a good mate done this to me I wouldn't have an issue, even though I wouldn't do the same.
    >Everyone's different, something's aren't as important to some as they are to others. Now tell me
    >about time-keeping - I really have issues with that!
    >
    >"Invoice him" LOL :)

    Thanks for all the replies.

    I've done my mate, the Cheating Czech, a dis-service. He offered to pay for a replacement when
    he brought the tyre back, I said I'd check to see whether it needed replacement. Sorry it
    wasn't clearer.

    I'll go an invoice him now.

    Tim