Folding tyre damage

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from the rim
    and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The Kevlar bead has
    been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by the brake block.

Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

Tim
    --

fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.

Tags:

2. Peter B

Peter B Guest

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from
    > the rim and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The
    > Kevlar bead has been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by
    > the brake block.
    >
    > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

If I had to ask the question I'd know the answer was no. I certainly wouldn't rely on the
    opinion of someone on the 'net who's never seen the tyre. (Except my opinion, of course, which
    is bin it Danno).

Pete

3. Msa

Msa Guest

> > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

Depends how much of a mate he is :)

--
    Mark

---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 - Release Date: 24/04/03

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Tim Hall wrote:
    > I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from
    > the rim and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The
    > Kevlar bead has been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by
    > the brake block.
    >
    > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?
    >
    >
    > Tim

When I lend someone something it's on the basis 'Yes you can play, but if you break it you pay'. I'd
    consider the tyre broke and would like a replacement. I certainly wouldn't comment on its
    roadworthiness without seeing it first .. ;)

--

Completed 1662 Seti work units in 12668 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

5. Dave

Dave Guest

news:[email protected]...
    > Tim Hall wrote:
    > > I lent my Continental 700 x 23 folding tyre to a friend last weekend. It came unseated from the
    > > rim and got caught on the brakes. He returned it to me and pointed out some damage. The Kevlar
    > > bead has been exposed over a length of about 2 inches where the casing got abraded by the brake
    > > block.
    > >
    > > Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?
    > >
    > >
    > > Tim
    >
    > When I lend someone something it's on the basis 'Yes you can play, but if you break it you pay'.
    > I'd consider the tyre broke and would like a replacement. I certainly wouldn't comment on its
    > roadworthiness without seeing it first .. ;)
    >
    > --

> Completed 1662 Seti work units in 12668 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    >
    >

...and if he insists it's ok to use, tell him he can keep it and use it then, when he's forked out
    for a new one for you.....I'd never consider returning something if I'd borrowed it and damaged it.
    I'd definitely buy a replacement one...what kind of a friend is he, for crying out loud
    ??...obviously not as good a one as wot I yam ;-) Dave. Invoice him!!

6. Msa

Msa Guest

I'd never consider
    > returning something if I'd borrowed it and damaged it. I'd definitely buy
    a
    > replacement one...

I would do the same.

what kind of a friend is he, for crying out loud
    > ??...obviously not as good a one as wot I yam ;-) Dave. Invoice him!!
    >

If a good mate done this to me I wouldn't have an issue, even though I wouldn't do the same.
    Everyone's different, something's aren't as important to some as they are to others. Now tell me
    about time-keeping - I really have issues with that!

"Invoice him" LOL :)

--
    Mark

---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.476 / Virus Database: 273 - Release Date: 24/04/03

7. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sun, 11 May 2003 22:42:10 +0100, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

>Should I get him to cough for a new one, or is it OK to use?

Keep the tyre, get a new friend.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

8. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

On Mon, 12 May 2003 21:12:35 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <onyerbikemark[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd never consider
    >> returning something if I'd borrowed it and damaged it. I'd definitely buy
    >a
    >> replacement one...
    >
    >I would do the same.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >what kind of a friend is he, for crying out loud
    >> ??...obviously not as good a one as wot I yam ;-) Dave. Invoice him!!
    >>
    >
    >
    >If a good mate done this to me I wouldn't have an issue, even though I wouldn't do the same.
    >Everyone's different, something's aren't as important to some as they are to others. Now tell me
    >about time-keeping - I really have issues with that!
    >
    >"Invoice him" LOL :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I've done my mate, the Cheating Czech, a dis-service. He offered to pay for a replacement when
    he brought the tyre back, I said I'd check to see whether it needed replacement. Sorry it
    wasn't clearer.

I'll go an invoice him now.

Tim
    --

fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.