Folding tyres for MTB use

domaindomain

Dec 20, 2004
Considering using folding tyres a la Conti Explorer / Escape that I just saw at bicyclerubber.com

Have you used folding tyres for off road use? Are they secure? Is the ride quality good? What are your thoughts....

Cheers everyone

D

they still sell non folding tires? really?

Anymore, they all fold. They work fine. Otherwise they wouldnt be around.

Me, I've got some WTB Weirwolves that kick butt. Kevlar bead. Love em. no problems what so ever.

domaindomain said:
Considering using folding tyres a la Conti Explorer / Escape that I just saw at bicyclerubber.com

Have you used folding tyres for off road use? Are they secure? Is the ride quality good? What are your thoughts....

Cheers everyone

D

triguy98 said:
they still sell non folding tires? really?

Anymore, they all fold. They work fine. Otherwise they wouldnt be around.

Me, I've got some WTB Weirwolves that kick butt. Kevlar bead. Love em. no problems what so ever.
Many of the DH/FR specific tires are still wire bead, but even more & more of them are getting the kevlar/folding bead treatment. As already mentioned they work excellent. Conti makes good tires. More than the brand, the tread pattern and your riding conditions are the most important things (hardness of rubber, casing, etc also being important, but...). Take care.

Kraig...

domaindomain said:

Cheers everyone

D

Last time I used a non-folding on my MTB was about 1993. There are no problems with security or anything else really.

MidBunchLurker said:
Last time I used a non-folding on my MTB was about 1993. There are no problems with security or anything else really.
Folding (kevlar beaded) tyres are simply a weight saving device and do not change the ride characteristics of a tyre. It also makes them a bit easier to store and transport. Given the price/weight differential between wire beaded and kevlar beaded tyres, most people will be served just fine on wire beaded tyres. Most tyres (and certainly Continentals) you ought to find in both versions. I'm curious how a self-admitted "mid bunch lurker" can justify the expense of kevlar beaded tyres?

Sam

sssamcz said:
I'm curious how a self-admitted "mid bunch lurker" can justify the expense of kevlar beaded tyres?

I only lurk on the road. Off-road I'll take all the weight-saving I can get thanks :)