Folding tyres for MTBs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by domaindomain, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. domaindomain

    domaindomain New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Hi All, does anyone have any experience of Conti Twister Pros - the ones that fold up!

    Seen some on sale at bicyclerubber.com and as I use folders exclusively on my road bike I am keen to try them for the MTB too.

    If you have used them, please let me know how you rate them. Are they secure fitting etc.

    Cheers, D

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    domaindomain ('[email protected]')
    wrote:

    > Hi All, does anyone have any experience of Conti Twister Pros - the
    > ones that fold up!

    I haven't use those. I have, however, used Hutchinson Scorpion
    Airlights, and thought them totally useless for Scottish conditions.

    It's not the Kevlar bead that makes the difference. The Airlights were
    built with a very lightweight carcase (which does help with folding)
    and a tread pattern which looked quite pretty but gripped nothing.

    Off road tyres get much more intimate with much rougher surfaces and
    many more thorns than road tyres ever have to face. An
    ultra-lightweight carcase is not a good idea in my opinion. Beyond
    that, the first and most important thing is to get a tread pattern
    which will grip on your local combination of surfaces without being too
    slow.

    Which raises the other issue. If you're getting excited about folding
    tyres it's presumably because you want to take a spare with you on a
    ride, but there are very few tread designs which are good for both
    front and rear wheels, unless your local surfaces are mostly very firm.

    My personal choice for around here - mixture of mud, gravel, loose
    forest litter, and a certain amount of bare rock[1] - are WTB
    Velociraptors, which are available with Kevlar bead, but the front and
    back are very different.

    [1] They're not good on wet bare rock, but they're sufficiently good on
    the other surfaces that I forgive them

    ;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
    ;; asylum seeker

  3. "domaindomain" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi All, does anyone have any experience of Conti Twister Pros -
    > the ones that fold up!

    > Seen some on sale at bicyclerubber.com and as I use folders
    > exclusively on my road bike I am keen to try them for the MTB too.

    > If you have used them, please let me know how you rate them.
    > Are they secure fitting etc.

    Folding tyres in general work pretty much like their wire-beaded siblings.
    The Twister is a very light tyre with not much tread thats great for fast
    riding when things aren't too muddy or rocky. If that fits your intended
    use, and the price is right, give them a try.

    James Thomson

  4. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    domaindomain <[email protected]> of
    cyclingforums.com wrote:

    >Hi All, does anyone have any experience of Conti Twister Pros - the ones
    >that fold up!
    >
    >Seen some on sale at bicyclerubber.com and as I use folders
    >exclusively on my road bike I am keen to try them for the MTB too.
    >
    >If you have used them, please let me know how you rate them. Are they
    >secure fitting etc.

    I have one folding MTB tyre, not very knobbly, bought as a spare for a long
    tour and never used, nor ever will be. It's yours for twice the postage as
    a gift to Oxfam if you want (twice postage is the going rate for bits around
    here). Email me at urc[at]sandbenders[dot]demon[dot]co[dot]uk if you are
    interested.
    --
    Be safe: Use smoke detectors OR Sleep with a firefighter
    Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid