Folding Vs Non-folding tyres

Mark Thompson

Guest
What's the disadvantage of folding tyres? They seem to have the same SRP,
weigh significantly less, have the same recommended pressure, and can be
folded up. Are they harder to get off the rim, more likely to blow off the
rim if over-inflated?

<url:www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20ultra%20gatorskin.shtml>

Mark.

On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:24:01 GMT, Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:

>What's the disadvantage of folding tyres? They seem to have the same SRP,
>weigh significantly less, have the same recommended pressure, and can be
>folded up. Are they harder to get off the rim, more likely to blow off the
>rim if over-inflated?
>
><url:www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20ultra%20gatorskin.shtml>
>
>Mark.

I disagree that they steel and kevlar bead tyres have the same price.
Folders are usually more expensive.

Folders can be harder to fit. They flop about a bit rather than
being resolutely tyre shaped. On a tight fit steel is more elastic
than kevlar so is easier to force onto the rim.

In article <[email protected]>, Ian Blake
(NoNotMe@NotAnywhere) wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:24:01 GMT, Mark Thompson
> <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
>
> >What's the disadvantage of folding tyres? They seem to have the same SRP,
> >weigh significantly less, have the same recommended pressure, and can be
> >folded up. Are they harder to get off the rim, more likely to blow off the
> >rim if over-inflated?
> >
> ><url:www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20ultra%20gatorskin.shtml>
> >
> >Mark.

> I disagree that they steel and kevlar bead tyres have the same price.
> Folders are usually more expensive.

William. The folding Schwalbe Stelvios are twice the price of the wire-
bead version, so I am hoping to get plenty more service out of the
Stelvio Light I scrounged for Cosimo last year...

und keine Eie.

> I disagree that they steel and kevlar bead tyres have the same price.
> Folders are usually more expensive.

Ooops, my bad - on every page the folders are more expensive apart from the
one I linked to, and that's probably a typo :)

Mark Thompson wrote:
> What's the disadvantage of folding tyres?

Usually more expensive. Sometimes more difficult to fit, though I think
this "problem" is often grossly exaggerated, especially when like is not
compared to like.

The can be beautifully easy to fit (and that doesn't mean too baggy), for
example : Vittoria Open Corsa 23 (on Open Pro rims).

> They seem to have the same SRP,

Check that.

/snip
> Are they harder to get off the rim, more
> likely to blow off the rim if over-inflated?

No, no.

~PB

in message <[email protected]>, Mark
Thompson
('pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com') wrote:

> What's the disadvantage of folding tyres? They seem to have the same
> SRP, weigh significantly less, have the same recommended pressure, and
> can be
> folded up. Are they harder to get off the rim, more likely to blow off
> the rim if over-inflated?

Kevlar not steel - it's lighter. No disadvantage. End of story, pretty
much. Don't really expect I'll go back to using steel beaded tyres,
unless I'm feeling exceedingly broke.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.