Foldup Bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sdf, May 22, 2003.

  1. Sdf

    Sdf Guest

    (Sorry if double...)

    I am looking at foldup bikes, so I can ride to the train and take my bike with me. I'm leaning
    toward a Dahon model, but some local bike shops do not carry them, but carry Joe Breezers and KHSs.

    Would anyone be able to share quality etc. issues regarding these brands with me?

    TIA,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Quality costs more but cost is not indicative of quality.

    "sdf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry if double...)
    >
    > I am looking at foldup bikes, so I can ride to the train and take my bike with me. I'm
    > leaning toward a Dahon model, but some local bike shops do not carry them, but carry Joe
    > Breezers and KHSs.
    >
    > Would anyone be able to share quality etc. issues regarding these brands with me?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Steve

  3. I can't contribute much, but have you checked out the 'Bike Friday'?

    It may not fold as small as some of the others (it packs into a small case that can also be used as
    a trailor), but it is a 'real' bike. I know several people who ride them as every-day bikes and have
    even taked cross-country trips on them.

    http://www.bikefriday.com/

    [email protected] (sdf) wrote let it be known in
    news:[email protected]:

    > (Sorry if double...)
    >
    > I am looking at foldup bikes, so I can ride to the train and take my bike with me. I'm
    > leaning toward a Dahon model, but some local bike shops do not carry them, but carry Joe
    > Breezers and KHSs.
    >
    > Would anyone be able to share quality etc. issues regarding these brands with me?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Steve

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I am looking at foldup bikes, so I can ride to the train and take my bike with me. I'm leaning
    >toward a Dahon model, but some local bike shops do not carry them, but carry Joe Breezers and KHSs.
    >
    >Would anyone be able to share quality etc. issues regarding these brands with me?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Steve

    Make sure you ride the bike before buying it. I have a Hon with small wheels that folds up nicely
    but rides poorly, Ok for a couple of miles but that is about it.

    There are some very nice folders out there, the one I have seen which is quite slick is the Birdie
    but these are quite expensive.

    jon

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "sdf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry if double...)
    >
    > I am looking at foldup bikes, so I can ride to the train and take my bike with me. I'm
    > leaning toward a Dahon model, but some local bike shops do not carry them, but carry Joe
    > Breezers and KHSs.
    >
    > Would anyone be able to share quality etc. issues regarding these brands with me?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Steve

    Steve, how about being on the "cutting edge" and getting one of these military bikes? They are being
    sold now for civilians. One thing is for sure: they're built to last!

    http://www.militarybikes.com/

  6. Bikerjaz

    Bikerjaz Guest

    I have a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro with a Shimano 105 group. It rides very well in comparison to
    my Litespeed Tuscany, though the smaller wheels can be a bit twitchy. My brother bought a used
    Dahon, but discovered that the plastic collar on the seat post makes it impossible to keep the seat
    post from sliding down as he rode. The group on the Dahon also is of inferior quality.

    For rides to the train I guess the Dahon should suffice, but if you think you might like to do some
    serious rides - and trips - look at the Bike Friday. It costs more, but you get what you pay for in
    terms of quality.

    Jamie

    "sdf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > (Sorry if double...)
    >
    > I am looking at foldup bikes, so I can ride to the train and take my bike with me. I'm
    > leaning toward a Dahon model, but some local bike shops do not carry them, but carry Joe
    > Breezers and KHSs.
    >
    > Would anyone be able to share quality etc. issues regarding these brands with me?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Steve

  7. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

  8. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Quality costs more but cost is not indicative of quality.

    Another mercifully short, totally worthless piece of "input" from Mr. Huffman.

    Thanks, Doug!

    Chalo Colina

    P.S. You forgot to mutter your usual drivel about a conspiracy

  9. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    The original topic of this thread was 'opinions on the quality of folders' IIRC. I don't recall an
    apropos comment by this chump conspirator.

    I sailed for a few years and enough to see well (ab)used Dahons, popular on liveaboard-sailboats. My
    riding partner rides a Bike Friday Air Glide. The Dahons are cheap and inexpensive. The Friday is
    expensive and of good quality.

    'Conspiracy drivel' is political and beneath chump conspirators.

    "Bluto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Quality costs more but cost is not indicative of quality.
    >
    > Another mercifully short, totally worthless piece of "input" from Mr.
    Huffman.

    > Thanks, Doug!
    >
    > Chalo Colina
    >

    > P.S. You forgot to mutter your usual drivel about a conspiracy

  10. Jerz Fox

    Jerz Fox Guest

    I once had a 3 -speed Dahon with a 16" wheel. It was a delightful little bike but the seat post kept
    sliding down, as another poster mentioned, the folding pedal kept folding down when I was riding it,
    and it was heavy, a nuisance to fold, and it was hard to fit into the carrying bag. I may eventually
    get another folder -- I like the idea.

    Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

    The JerZ Fox

    Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

  11. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > I can't contribute much, but have you checked out the 'Bike Friday'?

    =v= I got a Bike Friday in 1999 and like it so much it's become my primary bike for everyday use.
    That sounds like an advertisement, I know, and I would read people saying the same thing and think
    the same thing. But it's true.

    =v= I also like the Swift Folder. I don't like bikes with wheels smaller than 20 inches, though of
    those, I'd say the Brompton is by far the best. It folds up great, and if they every make a 20-inch
    model, I'd be interested. But I'm deliriously happy with my Friday!

    =v= Here's a folding bike page (and associated email list) with lots of links to check out:

    http://www.geocities.com/justridingalong/folding-bicycle/

    <_Jym_>

    P.S.: That's a Bike Friday in my .sig down there.

    other car is :: ==`\(x :: http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: O-/ `O ::

    The bicycle lifted our automobility into a new order, beyond which progress is theoretically
    not possible. -- Ivan Illich