Follow up to Best handling road tire that gets reasonable mileage

Jim Martin

Guest
Hello All:

Thank all of you who responded to my post "Best handling road tire that gets reasonable mileage?"

I ended up buying the Michelin Axial Carbon 25mm tires from Danny at CritUSA. Price was better than
anywhere else and he was a pleasure to deal with.

I've only ridden them a few times but I am willing to recommend them. Today I was coming down
Emigration Canyon and was leaned over pretty far (as far as I'm willing to go when I cannot see all
the way around the turn). In the middle of the turn I felt the back tire go over a small rock. The
back of the bike came up for an instant and I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I was
about to go sliding. The tire came down and STUCK right there. No slide, no skip, no nothing, just
held my line right on through the turn. Whew!!

They feel nice and smooth as you lean them over, no sharp transition. We'll see if they are durable
as they are claimed to be, but at least the handling part is there. One note, if you are used to
riding narrow tires, you'll want to fight the urge to over inflate. I put about 120psi in them the
first ride and they were really "bouncy" on a bit of rough asphalt (never felt anything quite like
it but bouncy is the best word I can come up with). I let them down to 95psi and they feel great.

Cheers,

Jim

---

Agree, a good 700x25 tire is probably the best combination of handling and comfort. If you don't
think so, take a look at Jobst on Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 (formerly labeled as 700x28) tires here and
tell me you can lean like this:

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_
the_Alps/Gallery/tiretest.jpg

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All:
>
> Thank all of you who responded to my post "Best handling road tire that
gets
> reasonable mileage?"
>
> I ended up buying the Michelin Axial Carbon 25mm tires from Danny at CritUSA. Price was better
> than anywhere else and he was a pleasure to deal with.
>
> I've only ridden them a few times but I am willing to recommend them.
Today
> I was coming down Emigration Canyon and was leaned over pretty far (as far as I'm willing to go
> when I cannot see all the way around the turn). In
the
> middle of the turn I felt the back tire go over a small rock. The back of the bike came up for an
> instant and I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I was about to go sliding. The tire
> came down and STUCK right there. No slide, no skip, no nothing, just held my line right on through
the
> turn. Whew!!
>
> They feel nice and smooth as you lean them over, no sharp transition.
We'll
> see if they are durable as they are claimed to be, but at least the
handling
> part is there. One note, if you are used to riding narrow tires, you'll
want
> to fight the urge to over inflate. I put about 120psi in them the first
ride
> and they were really "bouncy" on a bit of rough asphalt (never felt
anything
> quite like it but bouncy is the best word I can come up with). I let them down to 95psi and they
> feel great.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim
>

> ---

For touring, Avocet Fasgrip K20 700x32 is a great tire too. Lasts forever and feels great because
its slick. Tread patterns cause vibration and squirming. There are few situations where slicks are
not better than tread pattern tires..

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Agree, a good 700x25 tire is probably the best combination of handling and comfort. If you don't
> think so, take a look at Jobst on Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 (formerly labeled as 700x28) tires here
> and tell me you can lean
like
> this:

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_
> the_Alps/Gallery/tiretest.jpg
>

> "Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Thank all of you who responded to my post "Best handling road tire that
> gets
> > reasonable mileage?"
> >
> > I ended up buying the Michelin Axial Carbon 25mm tires from Danny at CritUSA. Price was better
> > than anywhere else and he was a pleasure to
deal
> > with.
> >
> > I've only ridden them a few times but I am willing to recommend them.
> Today
> > I was coming down Emigration Canyon and was leaned over pretty far (as
far
> > as I'm willing to go when I cannot see all the way around the turn). In
> the
> > middle of the turn I felt the back tire go over a small rock. The back
of
> > the bike came up for an instant and I had a sick feeling in the pit of
my
> > stomach that I was about to go sliding. The tire came down and STUCK
right
> > there. No slide, no skip, no nothing, just held my line right on through
> the
> > turn. Whew!!
> >
> > They feel nice and smooth as you lean them over, no sharp transition.
> We'll
> > see if they are durable as they are claimed to be, but at least the
> handling
> > part is there. One note, if you are used to riding narrow tires, you'll
> want
> > to fight the urge to over inflate. I put about 120psi in them the first
> ride
> > and they were really "bouncy" on a bit of rough asphalt (never felt
> anything
> > quite like it but bouncy is the best word I can come up with). I let
them
> > down to 95psi and they feel great.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > ---
> > (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.489 / Virus Database: 288 - Release Date: 6/10/2003

"Jim Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All:
>
> Thank all of you who responded to my post "Best handling road tire that
gets
> reasonable mileage?"
>
> I ended up buying the Michelin Axial Carbon 25mm tires from Danny at CritUSA. Price was better
> than anywhere else and he was a pleasure to deal with.
>
> <snip>
>
> Jim

I ran a set of these for a couple of years and they were very durable and gripped well in the dry.
However I found them a bit slippy in the wet, to the extent that I never really trusted them.
Although having said that they ended up on my winter bike and that sees lots of rain :)

Stan Cox

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Agree, a good 700x25 tire is probably the best combination of handling and comfort. If you don't
> think so, take a look at Jobst on Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 (formerly labeled as 700x28) tires here
> and tell me you can lean like this:
>
> http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_
> the_Alps/Gallery/tiretest.jpg

I would not base a tire decision on this. Tire formulations change over time. That is obviously a
much younger Jobst than I see on the road around here. The bike looks the same, but his hair is now,
uh, much lighter in color. Point is, this picture was taken some years ago; tire formulation and
design may have changed since then.

- rick warner

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Agree, a good 700x25 tire is probably the best combination of handling and comfort. If you don't
> think so, take a look at Jobst on Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 (formerly labeled as 700x28) tires here
> and tell me you can lean
like
> this:

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_
> the_Alps/Gallery/tiretest.jpg

My God, how tall is the man?

- Look at the length of that head tube!

Tim.

---

"Rick Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Agree, a good 700x25 tire is probably the best combination of handling
and
> > comfort. If you don't think so, take a look at Jobst on Avocet Fasgrip 700x25 (formerly labeled
> > as 700x28) tires here and tell me you can lean
like
> > this:

http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Europe/Tour_Reports/Tour_of_
> > the_Alps/Gallery/tiretest.jpg
>
> I would not base a tire decision on this. Tire formulations change over
time.
> That is obviously a much younger Jobst than I see on the road around here. The bike looks the
> same, but his hair is now, uh, much lighter in color. Point is, this picture was taken some years
> ago; tire formulation and
design
> may have changed since then.

You're assuming that current tires, i.e., those that contain a silica based compound, are *superior*
to tires like the Avocet Fasgrip that contain carbon black. As Jobst and others have said, carbon
black tread is currently what is used by ALL car tire mfrs. There is no reason to believe that
silica based tires, i.e., colored tires, handle any *better*. In fact, its been proven that silica
based tires handle "poorer" in wet conditions than those with carbon black treads. The only question
about the Avocet tires is whether the current ones that are made in Korea are *as good* as the
previous versions made in Japan....