Follow up to "head on crash, need wheel rebuild?"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anonymous, Jun 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey all,

To recap, front wheel impact at what I thought was 10-15 mph, bike tumbled.

I took my wheels to my fav LBS for a look over. The damage wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. In
    fact, there wasn't any really. I thought I spotted a small out of roundness up front, say 1 or 2mm.
    Velocity Deep V, 24 radial. It turns out there was not out of roundness. It was probably the tire
    having moved a bit during impact.

So in the end, front and rear were trued, they were both out more than a little. Front spokes were
    retensioned all around. Rear hub, DA, was disassembled, cleaned, packed, etc. It was loose and had a
    good deal of miles on it. Total cost was $30.

So two things: 1, the speed at which the wheel hit presumably was much less than 15. 2, is $30 a
    decent charge?

Doug

Tags:

2. In article <[email protected]>,

> Hey all,
    >
    > To recap, front wheel impact at what I thought was 10-15 mph, bike tumbled.
    >
    > I took my wheels to my fav LBS for a look over. The damage wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. In
    > fact, there wasn't any really. I thought I spotted a small out of roundness up front, say 1 or
    > 2mm. Velocity Deep V, 24 radial. It turns out there was not out of roundness. It was probably the
    > tire having moved a bit during impact.
    >
    > So in the end, front and rear were trued, they were both out more than a little. Front spokes were
    > retensioned all around. Rear hub, DA, was disassembled, cleaned, packed, etc. It was loose and had
    > a good deal of miles on it. Total cost was $30.
    >
    > So two things: 1, the speed at which the wheel hit presumably was much less than 15. 2, is $30 a
    > decent charge?

1. It is you who say it.

2. Yes. You got charged for roughly 1/2 hour of service for two major wheel truings and a rear hub
    rebuild. If you could do even the rear hub clean-and-pack in less than 30 minutes, you're a
    better mechanic than I.

Whatever shop charged you that little is worth keeping.

--
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

3. Jon Bond

Jon Bond Guest

news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > To recap, front wheel impact at what I thought was 10-15 mph, bike tumbled.
    >
    > I took my wheels to my fav LBS for a look over. The damage wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. In
    > fact, there wasn't any really. I thought I spotted a small out of roundness up front, say 1 or
    > 2mm. Velocity Deep V, 24 radial. It turns out there was not out of roundness. It was probably the
    > tire having moved a bit during impact.
    >
    > So in the end, front and rear were trued, they were both out more than a little. Front spokes were
    > retensioned all around. Rear hub, DA, was disassembled, cleaned, packed, etc. It was loose and had
    > a good deal of miles on it. Total cost was $30.
    >
    > So two things: 1, the speed at which the wheel hit presumably was much less than 15. 2, is $30 a
    > decent charge?
    >
    > Doug

1. Wasn't a witness, couldn't tell you.
    2. Sounds pretty damn good to me, actually. Really, really good. Truing at the local shops is 15-20
    per wheel, rehauling a hub is probably 25 or so. If they did a good job, and seem like nice guys,
    then definitely stick with them.

Jon Bond

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>> So in the end, front and rear were trued, they were both out more than a little. Front spokes
    >> were retensioned all around. Rear hub, DA, was disassembled, cleaned, packed, etc. It was loose
    >> and had a good deal of miles on it. Total cost was $30.
    >>
    >> 2, is $30 a decent charge?
    >
    >2. Sounds pretty damn good to me, actually. Really, really good. Truing at the local shops is 15-20
    > per wheel, rehauling a hub is probably 25 or so. If they did a good job, and seem like nice
    > guys, then definitely stick with them.

The one I use is a nearby REI. The cycling section is smallish, but the workshop is large and well
    stocked. The guys back there are knowledgeable and extremely friendly and helpful. Standard truing
    is $9 per. So the hub work came out to $12. A friend of mine told me the head mech has attended
    some Colorado mech school. My wheels were put aside for him when I mentioned they were in a crash.
    REI's prices run about 1/2 what another nearby LBS charges, but I had no idea if either was a
    decent price.

Doug

5. Jon Bond

Jon Bond Guest

news:[email protected]...
    > >> So in the end, front and rear were trued, they were both out more than a little. Front spokes
    > >> were retensioned all around. Rear hub, DA, was disassembled, cleaned, packed, etc. It was loose
    > >> and had a good deal of miles on it. Total cost was $30.
    > >>
    > >> 2, is $30 a decent charge?
    > >
    > >2. Sounds pretty damn good to me, actually. Really, really good. Truing
    at
    > >the local shops is 15-20 per wheel, rehauling a hub is probably 25 or so. If they did a good job,
    > >and seem like nice guys, then definitely stick
    with
    > >them.
    >
    > The one I use is a nearby REI. The cycling section is smallish, but the workshop is large and well
    > stocked. The guys back there are knowledgeable and extremely friendly and helpful. Standard truing
    > is $9 per. So the hub work came out to $12. A friend of mine told me the head mech has attended
    > some Colorado mech school. My wheels were put aside for him when I mentioned they were in a crash.
    > REI's prices run about 1/2 what another nearby LBS charges, but I had no idea if either was a
    > decent price.
    >
    > Doug

Sounds good, too bad they've got such a small stock. They probably pay better than an LBS though,
    which is how they got the good mechanic. If they did a good job, food is always a good way to reward
    them - pizza and chinese are personal favorites. We also got some Krispy Kreme donuts from a regular
    at the other day in the shop I work at... mmmmmm. Beer is also good, but REI might take offense ;)
    See if they've got a back entrance to the bike shop area, as the other workers might give you funny
    looks bringing food in.

Training is good, but differs a lot between areas, so you never know. Being a race mechanic is even
    better. The owner of the shop that sponsors the Tufts team (Quad Cycles, outside of Boston) was
    actually the Turkish National Team head mechanic! Wheelworks, also near Boston, has Dave Allis, who
    was actually a US Olympic cyclist, as well as the Harvard Coach. he doesn't do much mechanic stuff
    anymore tho, but he does do some custom fitting. Overall though, if they do a good job and are
    friendly, then they sound pretty damn good.

Jon Bond

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.