Follow up to that "Latest research on saddles" thread...

DanP

Oct 5, 2003
Went ahead and ordered the E3 Form saddle from Performance Bike, got it yesterday.

First, it looks more "normal" than what I expected, which is good. Next it is pretty light, at least compared to my Fizik Aliante it is likely to replace.

The rails were normal so installation was no problem, somehow this was a possible issue from another poster.

Given the time I could only do a short 10 miler to get an initial impression for it - did not feel like a radical change at all, this is just a good comfortable saddle that definitely shifts the weight to a more welcome area in the rear. Very promising.

Pretty happy so far, if it holds true after some long rides I'll get a second one and replace my Fizik Airone as well.

I get the feeling too that this saddle wants to be installed a bit more forward than a regular one, will have to experiment with that.

Anyone else have experience with the E3?

Did you get the Ti or the ChroMo? I'm still wanting to order one, but I was worried about the rail thing. If you got the Ti one, I might order one as well.

I bought one of those for my nephew's bike. I had a chance to ride it down the block and try it out but that was too short of a ride to really tell anything. It was on sale at Performance.

DanP said:
Pretty happy so far, if it holds true after some long rides I'll get a second one and replace my Fizik Airone as well.

QUOTE]

What bothers you about the Airone?

I got the Ti one as well with no installation issues.

DanP I'm glad you mentioned the more forward position. I only have an hour on mine, but that was my impression as well.

zaskar said:
What bothers you about the Airone?

Nothing - as a matter of fact I love both my Airone (Tri bike) and my Aliante (Road bike).

But on the road bike I do go numb after some time, have for years, and frankly thought that it was just part of the sport and happened to everyone.

On the Airone much less so, and that is pretty much 100% on the aero bars (Cervelo P3 SL).

Still, now I'm a bit paranoid about the numbness, so if its avoidable...

I just bought a new bike (Specialized Allez Elite)- first one since college and have ridden about 70 miles this week. My butt is killing me. The bike was professionaly fitted to me by my LBS . I am wondering about buying a different seat. Can you all give me the pros and cons - what to look for etc?

Thanks

houdiniman said:
I just bought a new bike (Specialized Allez Elite)- first one since college and have ridden about 70 miles this week. My butt is killing me. The bike was professionaly fitted to me by my LBS . I am wondering about buying a different seat. Can you all give me the pros and cons - what to look for etc?
Thanks

Hi h-man,

Since you just had a fitting it would probably be best to stop by the LBS and mention that to them, maybe there is a bit of tweaking that they should be happy to help you with, or give you some tips on how to dial it in yourself.

Of course it may be that you 'd be better off with a different saddle, or maybe you are going through normal adaptation pains - but have them re-check the fitting, a great place to start.

And there are plenty of good threads on this forum on the topic, a basic search will show you more than you care to read.

This specific thread is more centered on a specific male extremity...

DanP said:
Nothing - as a matter of fact I love both my Airone (Tri bike) and my Aliante (Road bike).

But on the road bike I do go numb after some time, have for years, and frankly thought that it was just part of the sport and happened to everyone.

On the Airone much less so, and that is pretty much 100% on the aero bars (Cervelo P3 SL).

Still, now I'm a bit paranoid about the numbness, so if its avoidable...

Wow you been going numb for years! i have been for the past few months on my Airone. it was because i couldn't get the saddle level, either it was tilted to high or down to low. this was due to my Deda seat post that has small little notches on the head. i got a new post and have it ever so slightly tilted down, now im on my sits bones. i hope the pain don't transfer else where, the bad thing about having to make adjustments.

zaskar said:
Wow you been going numb for years! i have been for the past few months on my Airone. it was because i couldn't get the saddle level, either it was tilted to high or down to low. this was due to my Deda seat post that has small little notches on the head. i got a new post and have it ever so slightly tilted down, now im on my sits bones. i hope the pain don't transfer else where, the bad thing about having to make adjustments.

Interesting, maybe I should give that a shot since I really like the Airone - are you fully on aero bars as well?

This and other recent threads have got me thinking - I had been under the impression that a rule of thumb was to always have the seat level, and if anything tilted slightly nose UP.

I think the reasoning was that nose down would create tension in the lower back and eventually cause pain there.

So I've gotten in the habit of using a 3-foot level and not playing with tilt at all.

Yet there is logic to lowering the nose a tad for the pressure-point issue.

I'm sure seat angle is a tired topic on the forum and will do a search, but if anyone can contribute on this in the context of this thread that would be appreciated.