Following the Tour De France : Stage 8,9,10

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Eric L, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Eric L

    Eric L Guest

    I would like to follow the Tour for these stages, and I was wondering if anyone here had done such a
    thing and had any advice. I have access to a tent and would gladly camp roadside or whatever is
    necessary.

    Would a car or a scooter (Vespa) be better transportation?

    I, like everyone else want to see the climb up to the ski resort atop L'Alpe d'Huez, but I also
    would like to see some other parts of the race (in small towns), etc.

    8 Sunday, july 13 211 km Sallanches - L'Alpe d'Huez 9 Monda,y july 14 184,5 km Bourg d'Oisans - Gap
    10 Tuesday, july 15 195 km Gap - Marseille

    Any help, suggestions, tips, whatever would be gladly appreciated.

    Thanks, Eric & Courtney

    Tags:

  2. From what I read, I think they set up some kind of temporary campsites (at a school ground for e.g.)
    around Bourg d'Oisans to accomodate the Tour ground. In addition there are several regular
    campgrounds around Bourg d'Oisans or Alpe d'Huez. (and maybe they let people camp out whereever they
    find space, just for that night/day, normally not allowed). Campground at Allemont (few km to the
    west of B d'Oisans) is another option.

    Fans start to camp out the night before or you can stay at the botton and climb on the day of the
    race. If you are climbing to the top to watch the finish, I think you will need to get there some
    time in the morning before they close the road. And it will take some time to get down with all the
    traffic making their way down-around 5 or so.

    it might be better idea to post to rec.bicycles.racing rec.bicycles.rides rec.bicycles.misc

    or do google newgroup search for "watching tour de france" "watching...alpe d'Huez", etc etc. that
    should give you some past postings.

    news:[email protected]...