Food Allergies?

says...

> "Sky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > raymond wrote:
> >>

> >> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
> >> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
> >> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
> >> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
> >> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
> >> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
> >> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
> >> food?

> > I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
> > "plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those babies,
> > especially in ***** and other African countries at risk! However, I
> > think perhaps the allergies might be induced by immunizations at 2, 4, &
> > 6 months of age???? Purely conjecture on my part.
> >
> > Sky

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore. Farm
> kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids. They're
> exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune systems
> healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs tends to
> turn on the body in numerous ways.

Yes it is the hygeine that is the key here. They're also finding that
many auto-immune diseases can be cured by introducing certain parasites
into the human gut. I find that enormously interesting.

Steve Pope wrote:
> Doug Freyburger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Asserting you don't have food intolerances simply
>> means you don't know of any. That's NOT the same as knowing
>> for real you don't have any.

> It is hypochondriac to believe that you have a medical
> condition unless there are observed symptoms pointing in
> that direction. (And even then, it may be hypochondriac.)
>
> Steve

Exactly. I know I don't have an intolerance (or allergy) to wheat or gluten
(be it in bread, pasta, whatever). How do I know this? Because after
eating them I suffer no ill effects. I know I am not lactose intolerant
because I can drink milk 'til the cows come home (pun intentional!) and eat
cheeses and suffer no adverse physical symptoms. Ditto all manners of
meats, fish & seafood. I have food *dislikes*. I don't have food
allergies. Not everyone does.

Jill

I am personally not dealing with any food allergies, but I know they are severe in various cases. However, if you are lactose intolerant, then obviously you need to avoid dairy-based products.