Food Allergies?

"Omelet" <omp_omelet@g_mail.com> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Probably asked before but...
>>
>> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
>> killers.
>>
>> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last
>> time I
>> saw him.
>>
>> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
>> Gout
>> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>>
>> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>>
>> Andy

> Wheat and related grains for me.
>
> Very common.
>
> Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.
> A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.
>
> Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :)
>
> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.

We had the RAST test done. It's done by a simple blood draw. If you have
more than one allergen, then the elimination diet doesn't always work so
well.

"Sky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Probably asked before but...
>>
>> I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>> milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
>> killers.
>>
>> He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last
>> time I
>> saw him.
>>
>> I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
>> Gout
>> aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>>
>> Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>>
>> Andy

> As a baby/toddler, DS was unable to eat eggs. Well, he could, but it
> wasn't a very good idea. When he was 4 mos old and received his 2nd
> mandatory immunization shot(s), he screamed -- and I mean blood-curdling
> screams too, way beyond vigorously crying -- for hours afterwards; he
> also ran a slight fever, which is not uncommon after any immunization.
> His pediatrician figured there may have been something (eggs?) in that
> immunization to which he may have been allergic, so the pertussis
> component was omitted from his subsequent immunizations for quite a few
> years since it was egg-based.
>
> Fast forward a few months when DS was started on solid foods. If I fed
> him eggs (scrambled, whatever), he'd get a 'mottled' complexion on his
> face & skin. So, for a few years, eggs were out of his diet. Luckily,
> he grew out of that slight(?) food allergy by the time he started
> elementary school (whew!!!!). Now as a grown adult, he eats anything
> and everything that's put before him on a plate, unlike his picky parent
> (me)!

I had only one flu shot and it made me violently ill. We didn't know then
that I was allergic to eggs. Never again!

Sky wrote:

> I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
> "plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those babies,

"Plumpynut" sounds like a folky synonym for "elephantiasis".

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

"Sky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> raymond wrote:
>>

>> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
>> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
>> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
>> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
>> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
>> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
>> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
>> food?

> I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
> "plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those babies,
> especially in ***** and other African countries at risk! However, I
> think perhaps the allergies might be induced by immunizations at 2, 4, &
> 6 months of age???? Purely conjecture on my part.
>
> Sky

I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore. Farm
kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids. They're
exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune systems
healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs tends to
turn on the body in numerous ways.

Ms P

"raymond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:32:18 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Probably asked before but...
>>
>>I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
>>milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain
>>killers.
>>
>>He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time
>>saw him.
>>
>>I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance.
>>Gout
>>aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.
>>
>>Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?
>>
>>Andy

> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
> food?

Or maybe they *have* the food allergies and they're just not *found* because
of lack of medical care.

Ms P wrote:

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs
> tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.
> Ms P

I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

"Ms P" <[email protected]> wrote in

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty
> anymore. Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma
> than city kids. They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs.
> It keeps their immune systems healthy. An immune system that
> isn't exposed to dirt and germs tends to turn on the body in
> numerous ways.
>

> Ms P

I agree.

Julie,

Those are the most bothersome food allergy stories I've read.

Stay well, to you and yours.

Andy

Julie Bove wrote:

> Oh yeah. As a baby, I wouldn't breast feed and I threw up any and all milk
> they gave me.

The mother breastfeeds. The baby nurses. The image I got reading the
above was somewhere between not pretty and quite funny.

--Lia

Ms P wrote:

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and
> germs tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.

How true.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

"Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ms P wrote:
>
>> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
>> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
>> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
>> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs
>> tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.
>> Ms P

> I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

Sometimes it doesn't make that big of a difference. I sent my children out
to play in the dirt. They got exposed to all manner of muck and crud. The
oldest one started developing food allergies at about 28. He said he
thought he was going to die from eating a Salted Nut Roll at work one day.
It's only gotten worse from there.

I can't imagine how frail and weak he would be if I hadn't sent him out to
play in the dirt!!

Ms P

There's still a lot unknown about what causes one person to become
allergic and the next person not to. Current knowledge points to
overcleanliness to be one factor but hereditary still to be the biggest one.

--Lia

Ms P wrote:

> > I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

> Sometimes it doesn't make that big of a difference. I sent my children out
> to play in the dirt. They got exposed to all manner of muck and crud. The
> oldest one started developing food allergies at about 28. He said he
> thought he was going to die from eating a Salted Nut Roll at work one day.
> It's only gotten worse from there.
>
> I can't imagine how frail and weak he would be if I hadn't sent him out to
> play in the dirt!!

I have three brothers. The oldest has no allergy problems at all. The next
oldest has serious hay fever allergies and problems with cats and dogs. I
have very mild problems with hay fever, just swollen eyes and a little
nasal congestion during the worst times, also a slight problem with dogs,
cats and horses, plus few food allergies that I can control by avoiding the
problem foods. My younger brother has serious hay fever, can tolerate dogs
but not cats, horses or birds. He has a few food allergies that cause
sickness if exposed.

We all grew up in the same house and did the same types of things when we
were kids.

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> There's still a lot unknown about what causes one person to become
> allergic and the next person not to. Current knowledge points to
> overcleanliness to be one factor but hereditary still to be the biggest one.

As I pointed out in another post, my four brothers shared the same parents,
the same environment and the same activities. Two had bad allergy
problems, one had no allergies and I have mild allergies, and the allergies
are to different things. Neither of my parents had allergy problems.

"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ms P wrote:
>
>> > I think you're on the right track there, Mrs.P.

>> Sometimes it doesn't make that big of a difference. I sent my children
>> out
>> to play in the dirt. They got exposed to all manner of muck and crud.
>> The
>> oldest one started developing food allergies at about 28. He said he
>> thought he was going to die from eating a Salted Nut Roll at work one
>> day.
>> It's only gotten worse from there.
>>
>> I can't imagine how frail and weak he would be if I hadn't sent him out
>> play in the dirt!!

> I have three brothers. The oldest has no allergy problems at all. The next
> oldest has serious hay fever allergies and problems with cats and dogs. I
> have very mild problems with hay fever, just swollen eyes and a little
> nasal congestion during the worst times, also a slight problem with dogs,
> cats and horses, plus few food allergies that I can control by avoiding
> the
> problem foods. My younger brother has serious hay fever, can tolerate dogs
> but not cats, horses or birds. He has a few food allergies that cause
> sickness if exposed.
>
> We all grew up in the same house and did the same types of things when we
> were kids.

My youngest son doesn't have any allergies to speak of now. He started off
allergic to milk and got soy formula before he left the hospital.

We had cats and dogs when they were kids and we lived on a farm for a while.
Even after we moved from the farm the kids spent a fair amount of time there
with their grandparents.

I think the oldest inherited his allergies. His grandmother and great aunts
all have allergies to a variety of things. I have some allergies myself but
not to food.

Allergies, asthma and auto immune diseases are becoming a lot more prevelent
now than they were in my mother's generation and they have all been linked
to too much cleanliness.

There is a Newsweek article on the subject.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/57368/page/1

Ms P

> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.
> --
> Peace, Om

I think it's more likely that the more times you have a reaction, the
worse the reactions get (they compound), not age. That's what my
physicians have told me. Therefore, I just don't take any chances any
more. I already end up in the emergency room with a microscopic
taste....

N.

Omelet <omp_omelet@g_mail.com> wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > Probably asked before but...

> > I was thinking food and was reminded of my 1st cousin who was allergic to
> > milk since birth until detected 3 years old. They just gave him pain killers.

Undetected food intolerances are FAR more common than people
think. If you assert you have none, what evidence do you have to
support the assertion?

> > He grew up in his teens a skinny kid but mushroomed to 300+ lbs. last time I
> > saw him.

Intolerances tend to trigger addictive behavior patterns. With a
food intolerance that's overeating.

> > I'm not allergic to any foods. Maybe I'm developing lactose intolerance. Gout
> > aside, I'm pretty food tolerant.

> > Got food allergies? Got over food allergies? Since/At what age?

> Wheat and related grains for me.
> Very common.

For me it's quite specific to wheat. Not a gluten intolerance as I
don't
have problems with rye bread, oatmeal, rheinhatsgobot quality beer.

> Only way to really determine them is by doing an Elimination diet.

That's the deal. Asserting you don't have food intolerances simply
means you don't know of any. That's NOT the same as knowing
for real you don't have any. Only an elimination process can teach
you that.

> A good allergist/dietician can aid you as can some googling.

Much more expensive than an elimination plan.

> Trust me. Identify the culprits and it makes life a LOT better. :)
> IME, the older you get, the worse the reactions get.

One day I went on Atkins (which is an elimination system in
addition to a low carb weight loss system). Suddenly I felt better.
The list of "normal" health stuff from my whole life before then that
suddenly became "symptoms" was long. Chronic cough, indigestion,
you name it. The first time I ate they all came back. But before
Atkins I'd never gone more than one day in my life without wheat.

On Oct 24, 8:17 am, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > Oh yeah. As a baby, I wouldn't breast feed and I threw up any and all milk
> > they gave me.

> The mother breastfeeds. The baby nurses. The image I got reading the
> above was somewhere between not pretty and quite funny.

Send that milk to Venezuela!

> --Lia

--Bryan

Doug Freyburger <[email protected]> wrote:

>Asserting you don't have food intolerances simply
>means you don't know of any. That's NOT the same as knowing
>for real you don't have any.

It is hypochondriac to believe that you have a medical
condition unless there are observed symptoms pointing in
that direction. (And even then, it may be hypochondriac.)

Steve

Oh pshaw, on Tue 23 Oct 2007 09:19:16p, Ms P meant to say...

> "Sky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> raymond wrote:
>>>

>>> I watched 60 Minutes Sunday night. They reported on a miracle food,
>>> made of peanuts and other things, called Plumpynut, that is saving
>>> tens of thousands from starvation in Africa and other places. The
>>> developers were asked about peanut alergies, and they stated that
>>> there haven't been any reports of allergies, because food allergies
>>> aren't found in underdeveloped environments, only in highly developed
>>> ones. So what is it that we do that causes an allergic reaction to
>>> food?

>> I watched the same show - and was amazed! I've never heard of
>> "plumpynut" before and it seems to be a 'miracle' food for those
>> babies, especially in ***** and other African countries at risk!
>> However, I think perhaps the allergies might be induced by
>> immunizations at 2, 4, & 6 months of age???? Purely conjecture on my
>> part.
>>
>> Sky

> I think it's our level of cleanliness. Kids don't get dirty anymore.
> Farm kids have a whole lot lower incidence of asthma than city kids.
> They're exposed to a lot more dirt and germs. It keeps their immune
> systems healthy. An immune system that isn't exposed to dirt and germs
> tends to turn on the body in numerous ways.
>

> Ms P

Luckily I have never had food allergies, but I am allergic to several
medications.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The meek are getting ready.