Food around the country

Scott wrote:

> In article <cjfullerSPAMORAMA-
> [email protected]>, Cindy
> Fuller <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> It sounds as if you plan on taking I-90 to I-5, then east
>> on I-80 from San Francisco. If you get anywhere near
>> Glacier National Park in Montana (which is a far piece
>> from I-90), you need to stop at the Park Cafe in St.
>> Mary. It's at the eastern end of the Going-to-the-Sun
>> Road (the main road through the park). They make good
>> grub, but their true specialty is pies.
>
> Someone warned me against I-5. Specifically, they said "I
> wouldn't advise I5... a lot of boring territory." True?

The drive on I-5 isn't too bad while you're still in
Washington and Oregon. Once you get into California it's
pretty much flat, dusty, and boring. And hot! You get a
slight break at Mt. Shasta, but it's pretty dull all the
way into LA.

---jkb

--
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie!"

-- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, if you go north in Wisconsin, hit Door County and
> > go to a fishboil. Not only is the scenery up there
> > beautiful, but many places do a
fantastic
> > fishboil that is to die for. No specific names of
> > places, but camping grounds have them frequently.
> > Perhaps someone else can give you
specifics.
> > In any case, it's an outdoor event due to the fact that
> > it's done in a
LARGE
> > pot over a huge fire. What is it? Whitefish boiled with
> > onions,
potatoes,
> > and corn, with lots of butter and seasonings. You
> > usually get rolls and cherry pie also. It's so buttery
> > and good (probably not good on
cholesterol
> > counts, but oh well). Door County is also *known* for
> > its Cherry Pie -
> > must-have if you're passing through.
>
> We talking them using smoked whitefish, or fresh? (Hey,
> I'm used to Jewish appetizing stores in NY--dairy versions
> of delis).

Fresh whitefish is used and lots of it. I've heard that
there are some fishboils in the Upper Penninsula as well so
you may get lucky there too. It's a scandanavian dish that's
so filling. Okay, you can skip the pie. I give you
permission. <g>

kili

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, if you go north in Wisconsin, hit Door County and
> > go to a fishboil. Not only is the scenery up there
> > beautiful, but many places do a
fantastic
> > fishboil that is to die for. No specific names of
> > places, but camping grounds have them frequently.
> > Perhaps someone else can give you
specifics.
> > In any case, it's an outdoor event due to the fact that
> > it's done in a
LARGE
> > pot over a huge fire. What is it? Whitefish boiled with
> > onions,
potatoes,
> > and corn, with lots of butter and seasonings. You
> > usually get rolls and cherry pie also. It's so buttery
> > and good (probably not good on
cholesterol
> > counts, but oh well). Door County is also *known* for
> > its Cherry Pie -
> > must-have if you're passing through.
>
> We talking them using smoked whitefish, or fresh? (Hey,
> I'm used to Jewish appetizing stores in NY--dairy versions
> of delis).

Fresh whitefish is used and lots of it. I've heard that
there are some fishboils in the Upper Penninsula as well so
you may get lucky there too. It's a scandanavian dish that's
so filling. Okay, you can skip the pie. I give you
permission. <g>

kili

In article <[email protected]>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <barbschaller-
> [email protected]>, Melba's
> Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You'll let me know when, right?
>
> D'oh! Missed you this past summer... actually,
> circumstances were such that I almost certainly couldn't
> have made it, anyway. You're not far from Rochester,
> right? Seems that I remember seeing something about
> campgrounds an hour or two outside of the city.
> ----
I'm an hour and half north of Rottenchester. zxcvbob is
there. He wouldn't invite you to meet for lunch. I would.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

In article <[email protected]>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <barbschaller-
> [email protected]>, Melba's
> Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You'll let me know when, right?
>
> D'oh! Missed you this past summer... actually,
> circumstances were such that I almost certainly couldn't
> have made it, anyway. You're not far from Rochester,
> right? Seems that I remember seeing something about
> campgrounds an hour or two outside of the city.
> ----
I'm an hour and half north of Rottenchester. zxcvbob is
there. He wouldn't invite you to meet for lunch. I would.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
and a grave is the depth of the hole."

In article <[email protected]>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have GOT to figure out what I'm going to do about the
> biggest essential: morning coffee. When I go camping, I
> pack a couple day's worth of my home-roasted beans...
> which won't be practical on the extended trip (feasible,
> yes, practical, no).

At risk of being ground up by snooty coffee freaks, I have
to say that the Folger's (and maybe Maxwell House) coffee
bags aren't bad in a pinch. Like a tea bag. Oh, whoops --
looks like you're a coffee freak, Scott. :)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
and a grave is the depth of the hole."

In article <[email protected]>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have GOT to figure out what I'm going to do about the
> biggest essential: morning coffee. When I go camping, I
> pack a couple day's worth of my home-roasted beans...
> which won't be practical on the extended trip (feasible,
> yes, practical, no).

At risk of being ground up by snooty coffee freaks, I have
to say that the Folger's (and maybe Maxwell House) coffee
bags aren't bad in a pinch. Like a tea bag. Oh, whoops --
looks like you're a coffee freak, Scott. :)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
and a grave is the depth of the hole."

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <heimdall-
> [email protected]>, Scott
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <barbschaller-
>> [email protected]>, Melba's
>> Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > You'll let me know when, right?
>>
>> D'oh! Missed you this past summer... actually,
>> circumstances were such that I almost certainly couldn't
>> have made it, anyway. You're not far from Rochester,
>> right? Seems that I remember seeing something about
>> campgrounds an hour or two outside of the city.
>> ----
> I'm an hour and half north of Rottenchester. zxcvbob is
> there. He wouldn't invite you to meet for lunch. I would.

Well, I'm in St. Louis and I'll fix lunch for anyone.
What's it gonna be? Ribs, burgers or pasta? Lobster is
reserved for Jack ;)

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <heimdall-
> [email protected]>, Scott
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <barbschaller-
>> [email protected]>, Melba's
>> Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > You'll let me know when, right?
>>
>> D'oh! Missed you this past summer... actually,
>> circumstances were such that I almost certainly couldn't
>> have made it, anyway. You're not far from Rochester,
>> right? Seems that I remember seeing something about
>> campgrounds an hour or two outside of the city.
>> ----
> I'm an hour and half north of Rottenchester. zxcvbob is
> there. He wouldn't invite you to meet for lunch. I would.

Well, I'm in St. Louis and I'll fix lunch for anyone.
What's it gonna be? Ribs, burgers or pasta? Lobster is
reserved for Jack ;)

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

>On our honeymoon we got sidetracked and wound up with
>an overnight stay in Sioux Falls, SD. We ate at the Tea
>Steakhouse, Tea, South Dakota. The steaks were hanging
>over the edge of the plates. It was out of town and a
>great place. We played cribbage in the bar until a
>table was ready. Maybe they'd sell you a raw steak.
>It's been 38 years; I don't know what it's like now or
>even if it IS now.
>
>-Barb

Barb, pack your bags, it's time for a second honeymoon!

http://www.dining.name/guide.php/0/United_States/SD/Tea

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

> >On our honeymoon we got sidetracked and wound up with an
> >overnight stay in Sioux Falls, SD. We ate at the Tea
> >Steakhouse, Tea, South Dakota. The steaks were hanging
> >over the edge of the plates. It was out of town and a
> >great place. We played cribbage in the bar until a table
> >was ready. Maybe they'd sell you a raw steak. It's been
> >38 years; I don't know what it's like now or even if it
> >IS now.
> >
> >-Barb
>
> Barb, pack your bags, it's time for a second honeymoon!
>
> http://www.dining.name/guide.php/0/United_States/SD/Tea

We leave in June.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
and a grave is the depth of the hole."

In article <barbschaller-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:
>
> > >On our honeymoon we got sidetracked and wound up with
> > >an overnight stay in Sioux Falls, SD. We ate at the Tea
> > >Steakhouse, Tea, South Dakota. The steaks were hanging
> > >over the edge of the plates. It was out of town and a
> > >great place. We played cribbage in the bar until a
> > >table was ready. Maybe they'd sell you a raw steak.
> > >It's been 38 years; I don't know what it's like now or
> > >even if it IS now.
> > >
> > >-Barb
> >
> > Barb, pack your bags, it's time for a second honeymoon!
> >
> > http://www.dining.name/guide.php/0/United_States/SD/Tea
>
> We leave in June.

Beware! I changed the state to RI and found that:

a) Not everything is listed.

b) The reviews of the top 4 or 5 tend to be biased in
several respects, a few of which are the taste
preferences of the average U.S. citizen, the second
is the price level at which the average U.S.
citizen blanches.

c) Several of the restaurants no longer exist or have
changed names/management.

d) Several good restaurants aren't listed. If you're in the
mood for cheap eats in Providence you hit the south side.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Lynn Gifford) wrote:

> I have used RoadFood (books) by Michael & Jane Stern for
> over 20 years and NEVER had a bad experience! Besides
> which, they're fun to just read. One problem - in one
> edition, the Sterns said there is no food in North Dakota.
> Not true, you have to find it. I think your journey from
> Minnesota to Idaho will take you through North Dakota. If
> so, please EMil me and I'll send to a list of places in ND
> and an invitation to lunch if you're going thru Fargo
> (which you'll pretty well have to!

Hi, Lynn. I had sort of planned to go to Mt. Rushmore down
in SD; I don't know how that would effect my northward
travel. I still need to get out my road atlas to get a
better idea of what I'm doing.

I *really* hope this whole travel plan works out.

please mail OT responses only

In article <[email protected]>,
Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

> At risk of being ground up by snooty coffee freaks, I have
> to say that the Folger's (and maybe Maxwell House) coffee
> bags aren't bad in a pinch. Like a tea bag. Oh, whoops --
> looks like you're a coffee freak, Scott. :)

I resemble that remark!

Actually, I was debating getting a travel coffee grinder:
<http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDi-
splay?productI d=13474&memberId=12500226> From what I hear,
this thing take a goodly amount of work so, coupled with the
caffeine, it'll be enough to wake me up in the morning.

Freshly roasted beans, properly stored, will last a week or
two. So, I would only need to roast about a pound, and that
should last be at least half-way across the country.
Hopefully, I can find a source for beans... maybe a
microroaster somewhere.

Ah, it's a great feeling... my coffee's steeping in the
French press as I'm cooking up some eggs and sausage in a
cast iron pan over my Coleman stove. Then, sitting back,
maybe looking over a lake, coffee in one hand, aluminum
plate of sausage and eggs in front of me, maybe some pan
bread, enjoying a cool, quiet morning.

please mail OT responses only

In article <[email protected]>,
"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fresh whitefish is used and lots of it. I've heard that
> there are some fishboils in the Upper Penninsula as well
> so you may get lucky there too. It's a scandanavian dish
> that's so filling.

Found some possibilities in Northern Wisconsin, though it
definitely seems to mainly be a Door County thing. The
fish boils seem to happen at night, so I either have to
juggle finding/setting up at a campsite, or give in and
stay at a motel.

please mail OT responses only

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously
> posted in news:barbschaller-
> [email protected]:
>
> > In article <heimdall-
> > [email protected]>, Scott
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <barbschaller-
> >> [email protected]>, Melba's

> >> D'oh! Missed you this past summer... actually,
> >> circumstances were such that I almost certainly
> >> couldn't have made it, anyway. You're not far from
> >> Rochester, right? Seems that I remember seeing
> >> something about campgrounds an hour or two outside of
> >> the city.
> >> ----
> > I'm an hour and half north of Rottenchester. zxcvbob is
> > there. He wouldn't invite you to meet for lunch. I
> > would.
>
> Well, I'm in St. Louis and I'll fix lunch for anyone.
> What's it gonna be? Ribs, burgers or pasta? Lobster is
> reserved for Jack ;)
>
> Michael
> --

ahahahaha, I can picture myself travelling from CT to St
Louis for lobster; the irony is top notch.

Just kidding, I know what you were saying...

Jack Lodger

In article
<[email protected]>,
Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <barbschaller-
> [email protected]>, Melba's
> Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > At risk of being ground up by snooty coffee freaks, I
> > have to say that the Folger's (and maybe Maxwell House)
> > coffee bags aren't bad in a pinch. Like a tea bag. Oh,
> > whoops -- looks like you're a coffee freak, Scott. :)
>
> I resemble that remark!
>
> Actually, I was debating getting a travel coffee grinder:
> <http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product-
> Display?productI d=13474&memberId=12500226> From what I
> hear, this thing take a goodly amount of work so, coupled
> with the caffeine, it'll be enough to wake me up in the
> morning.
>
> Freshly roasted beans, properly stored, will last a week
> or two. So, I would only need to roast about a pound, and
> that should last be at least half-way across the country.
> Hopefully, I can find a source for beans... maybe a
> microroaster somewhere.

No problemo in Seattle! Just above the Pike Place Market is
Caffe d'Arte (2nd Ave. at Stewart Street). This is the SO's
current favorite place to get coffee beans for espresso and
drip purposes. Caffe d'Arte also roasts some of its beans
over alderwood smoke.

Cindy, who finds it hard to get decent tea in Seattle

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Fresh whitefish is used and lots of it. I've heard that
> > there are some fishboils in the Upper Penninsula as well
> > so you may get lucky there
too.
> > It's a scandanavian dish that's so filling.
>
> Found some possibilities in Northern Wisconsin, though it
> definitely seems to mainly be a Door County thing. The
> fish boils seem to happen at night, so I either have to
> juggle finding/setting up at a campsite, or give in and
> stay at a motel.
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

It's worth it. You won't be sorry! kilikini

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

> >Melba's Jammin' writes:
> >
> >(PENMART01) wrote:

> >> Barb, pack your bags, it's time for a second honeymoon!
> >>
> http://www.dining.name/guide.php/0/United_States/SD/Tea
> >
> >We leave in June.

> Do ya still think yoose can handle all that meat?

Easy. We're not as good as we once were, but we're as good
once as we ever were. Doggie bag for the extra. Free
breakfast.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
and a grave is the depth of the hole."

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:48:33 GMT, Scott <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm not interested in fancy places, and my focus isn't on a
>place that simply makes a very good hamburger (unless
>there's something to set it apart). I'd like places that,
>for example (1) have food you can't get elsewhere (either
>at all, or with nearly the same quality), and (2) serve
>well as a story to tell people--"I went to this interesting
>place outside of this town ...."

Coming a little late to the party, but you could do worse
than the Campbell Store on I-30 (exit 101) about 55 miles
east of Dallas if your trip takes you down this way. We
often go there for Saturday burgers and onion rings. There
are three or four geezers with guitars, banjos, dobros and
so forth doing the East Texas picking thing most Saturdays.

D calls it our cafe society.

I don't know if they'll still be up to it after planting
season, though.

modom