Food around the country

Scott wrote:

> I have it in mind to take a cross-country drive this summer--
> taking about two months or so to do it. I plan to camp
> most nights, if possible, motels other nights (especially
> when in/near a city).
>
> I was wondering if anyone could suggest places to stop
> (towns, routes, or specific eateries) to keep in mind--
> i.e., particularly special places for food.
>
> My itinerary is up in the air to some extent, but I have a
> vague plan to, starting in New York, go west through PA,
> to Ohio, up through Michigan and across the Mackinaw
> Bridge, through Wisconsin, Minnesota,
> S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, that bit of Idaho, to
> Washington, then south through Oregon and into
> California. Stopping in San Francisco for a few days,
> then east through Nevada, Utah, Colorado (Colorado
> Springs and environs is a couple-days stop for me). I'm
> even less certain of where to go then... I suppose New
> Orleans would be interesting, then east/north from
> there.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm still figuring out what to see, so my
> path is subject to much change.
>
> I'm not interested in fancy places, and my focus isn't on
> a place that simply makes a very good hamburger (unless
> there's something to set it apart). I'd like places that,
> for example (1) have food you can't get elsewhere (either
> at all, or with nearly the same quality), and (2) serve
> well as a story to tell people--"I went to this
> interesting place outside of this town ...."
>
> I'll probably do a lot of cooking on my camp stove, so
> even places that sell things to later cook in a pot or cast-
> iron pan over a Coleman Dual-Fuel stove would be welcome
> (I'm bringing minimal food preparation gear, so I plan to
> keep such cooking simple). I haven't worked out the issue
> of refrigeration, yet.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net"
> please mail OT responses only

One of my favorite places is Tuba City, AZ. Go to the Tuba
City Truck Stop Cafe for the world's best Navajo Taco. It's
on the Navajo Reservation in Northern AZ. You won't be too
far from Monument Valley. They Navajo's have a campground
there and the valley is spectacular. And further east is 4
Corners and south of that a ways is Canyon de Chelley
National Monument. When I camped there in '91 there was no
fee but things have changed so who knows now. Then there's
Albuquerque. Go to the Central Pharmacy for the world's best
Huevos Rancheros. And then head north to Santa Fe. A little
north of Santa Fe is Tesuque as small town. There is a
little restaurant/bakery/grocery store there that makes a
killer blue corn enchilada. And it's a cute little town.

In the north I loved North Dakota. They have badlands there
but they are different than the S. Dak. badlands. Go to
Teddy Roosevelt Nat. Park. It's beautiful and you can camp
there. Nice prairie dog town. Driving across N. Dak. on I95
there are a number of giant statues. Near Jamestown there is
a giant bison statue and near New Salem there is a giant cow
called Salem Sue. And you have to go to Glacier National
Park in MT.

If you get to LA go to Moun of Tunis a Tunisian restaurant
in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd.

Oh, there's tons more stuff but I can't think of it
all at once.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:23:49 -0500, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
Interjected.. :

snippers

> If you get to LA go to Moun of Tunis a Tunisian restaurant
> in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd.
>
> Oh, there's tons more stuff but I can't think of it all
> at once.
>
> Kate

I agree about the Moun of Tunis. However, I'd go to the one
in Marina Del Ray. Less crowded and much more atmosphere.
The food, is incredible. Go with a date or friends. Then
lie down on the pillows.

I had 3 ladies hand feed me grapes and a Chicken pie that
was to die for. It was unforgettable:) (Flashbacks..
Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii......)

Steve

Buffering... _69%_ |||||||||||||||||||

In article <[email protected]>,
Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:

> One of my favorite places is Tuba City, AZ. Go to the Tuba
> City Truck Stop Cafe for the world's best Navajo Taco.
> It's on the Navajo Reservation in Northern AZ. You won't
> be too far from Monument Valley. They Navajo's have a
> campground there and the valley is spectacular. And
> further east is 4 Corners and south of that a ways is
> Canyon de Chelley National Monument. When I camped there
> in '91 there was no fee but things have changed so who
> knows now. Then there's Albuquerque. Go to the Central
> Pharmacy for the world's best Huevos Rancheros. And then
> head north to Santa Fe. A little north of Santa Fe is
> Tesuque as small town. There is a little
> restaurant/bakery/grocery store there that makes a killer
> blue corn enchilada. And it's a cute little town.

Interesting suggestions. I just checked the mapping
possibilities, and this looks promising.

Steve Ritter wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:23:49 -0500, Kate Connally
> <[email protected]> Interjected.. :
>
> snippers
> >
> > If you get to LA go to Moun of Tunis a Tunisian
> > restaurant in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd.
> >
> > Oh, there's tons more stuff but I can't think of it all
> > at once.
> >
> > Kate
>
> I agree about the Moun of Tunis. However, I'd go to the
> one in Marina Del Ray.

You mean Rey, right? :) Since when did they open one in
MDR? Of course I haven't been there for about 5 years. I
lived in LA from '72-'85. During the last five years I went
there all the time and have been there on each of my trips
back to the area to visit my sister. Unfortunately for me
she has moved to MT so now I won't be going to the LA area
anymore. No more Tunisian food. :-( MY favorite of all time
is the brik. I never went there and didn't get brik! That
stuff is to die for. And I usually got b'stilla and the
mechoui platter. Oh, how I miss Moun of Tunis! And when I
lived there Monday was "ladies' night" and they had a male
belly dancer. My girl friends and I would always go on
Monday. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey
really *is* what it's all about? mailto:[email protected]

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:37:54 -0500, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
Interjected.. :

> Steve Ritter wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:23:49 -0500, Kate Connally
> > <[email protected]> Interjected.. :
> >
> > snippers
> > >
> > > If you get to LA go to Moun of Tunis a Tunisian
> > > restaurant in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd.
> > >
> > > Oh, there's tons more stuff but I can't think of it
> > > all at once.
> > >
> > > Kate
> >
> > I agree about the Moun of Tunis. However, I'd go to the
> > one in Marina Del Ray.
>
> You mean Rey, right? :) Since when did they open one in
> MDR? Of course I haven't been there for about 5 years.
OfcourseImeantRey! :)

Actually, It's more like "If it's still there." the first
Moun of Tunis I had tried was in Marina Del R E Y :) Close
to Venice. It's there somewhere. Then I tried the Hollywood
one. It was not as nice.

> I lived in LA from '72-'85. During the last five years I
> went there all the time and have been there on each of my
> trips back to the area to visit my sister. Unfortunately
> for me she has moved to MT so now I won't be going to the
> LA area anymore. No more Tunisian food. :-( MY favorite of
> all time is the brik. I never went there and didn't get
> brik! That stuff is to die for. And I usually got b'stilla
> and the mechoui platter. Oh, how I miss Moun of Tunis! And
> when I lived there Monday was "ladies' night" and they had
> a male belly dancer. My girl friends and I would always go
> on Monday. ;-)
>
> Kate

Oh yes. There is something Erotic about that type of food
and eating. A far cry from Hot Dogs and Mac 'n' Cheese.

Steve

"Steve Ritter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Oh yes. There is something Erotic about that type of food
> and eating. A far cry from Hot Dogs and Mac 'n' Cheese.
>
> Steve

Perhaps. All-in-all though, I'd rather go to Pinks on
Melrose for a chili dog. (or two) ;-)