Food before and after a ride..

4,500?? I usually only burn about 700 cals a ride. I will not be able to ride for a while it has been raining since Friday but I am going to go join a gym and do Spin class.

BradUF said:
Yeah but it will have to wait until Monday because my eat weird after I have been drinking. So if I don't get 60/20/20 will I still lose weight if my cals are in the 1700 range?
Do you mean after drinking alcohol? If yes, you need to modify your alcohol intake as well - that's just empty calories. I'm not saying don't drink at all, but you should try to limit yourself to a couple of drinks only. Especially if your eating is weird after drinking - you could undo all the good work of the week by eating poorly on the weekend, particularly if you don't ride on the weekends.

On the c/p/f ratio - I reckon 50/30/20 is ok too. Use these as a something to aim for particularly the day before and the day after a long ride to allow your body to recover. Basically in order to lose weight you need to take in fewer calories than you burn it's as simple as that. As far as the c/p/f ratio goes this is not a rigid formula, some days you might find your fat intake is higher and other days you might take in less protein and fat and a whole heap of carbs.

As far as the drinking goes I only drink liquor now. Sometimes mixed into a soda or something. I don't eat bad after I drink, just my eating pattern is weird because I get up at like 3pm.

Water retention can cause that.

Also, you have to be careful to make sure your scales are in the same position each time you step on them because small irregularities in the floor they are sitting on can cause a different weight reading.

I will check again in another week. If I have not lost a pound by then what should I do?

Nothing after a week, if you stay on the same weight for three weeks running then you need to take another look at your diet and also at the amount and intensity of your exercise. Sort of a "kick start" to your body. The problem being that when you start to lose weight, your body's response is to go into "starvation mode" and try and stop the weight loss, so to get around this, you either consume fewer calories (which is not always practical) or you exercise more.

You shouldn't be trying to lose more than a pound a week anyway, 2 lbs max.

BradUF said:
Ok how about this... For breakfast I will eat Oatmeal, with some butter and sugar and a glass of OJ. For a snack I will have a granola bar and some water or maybe some fruit instead. For Lunch I will have a turkey sandwhich on whole weat with some mayo and some pineapple on the side. For dinner I will have roasted chicken, pea's some mac and cheese and water. Does that sound better?
Eveyone is built different with different matabolism - I have lost 12 kg in 3 or 4 months from when I started cycling last November from 88 kg down to 76 kg - 6ft 1 inch tall - i ride 2.5 hours daily (except wet days) and eat very well but no junk food - good stuff only - firstly cereal before ride - toast and jam when finished - lunch salad sandwiches or pasta - big cooked dinner with lots of vegies (fish, steak, sausages, rissoles, chicken etc) - in between during the day plenty of fresh fruit and cheese/bikkies - lots of water and fruit juice - 1 day a week some wine with dinner - lost no weight in the first month - now seem to have plateaud out - was not even thinking of losing weight - just enjoying cycling and keeping fit - also age 63 years - not bad for an old fella

aussie pete said:
Eveyone is built different with different matabolism - I have lost 12 kg in 3 or 4 months from when I started cycling last November from 88 kg down to 76 kg - 6ft 1 inch tall - i ride 2.5 hours daily (except wet days) and eat very well but no junk food - good stuff only - firstly cereal before ride - toast and jam when finished - lunch salad sandwiches or pasta - big cooked dinner with lots of vegies (fish, steak, sausages, rissoles, chicken etc) - in between during the day plenty of fresh fruit and cheese/bikkies - lots of water and fruit juice - 1 day a week some wine with dinner - lost no weight in the first month - now seem to have plateaud out - was not even thinking of losing weight - just enjoying cycling and keeping fit - also age 63 years - not bad for an old fella
dont go by weight - look if your belt is tighter your body will now have more glycogen energy because the muscles can store some of the carbs as glycogen for your next bout of training. this will make you more "Heavy"but less "fat" also make sure you weigh yourself in the morning with empty bladder and bowels

BradUF said:
As far as the drinking goes I only drink liquor now. Sometimes mixed into a soda or something. I don't eat bad after I drink, just my eating pattern is weird because I get up at like 3pm.
Also, you make it sound like liquor has no calories - a shot of Vodka or any other 70-80 proof liquor has approximately the same calories (around 100) as a 12oz light beer. A night of drinking shots can easily turn into 1000+ calories without too much effort (especially for a big guy who takes a lot to feel buzzed, I'm 6'4" 205 down from 258 on Jan 1, I know what it takes me to get drunk and I wish it was a lot less!).

BradUF said:
Oh, I know lifting weights will do nothing for my heart but if I build muscle then I will burn a little more fat and I wouldn't mind being somewhat buff. Atleast not have twigs for arms anymore.
Wrong. Weight training helps the body immensely with glucose control, VERY important for the heart.

BradUF said:
I am just soo confused with so many diets out there. I know for a fact the low carb diet works because my mom did it and lost like 20 pounds in 3 months with No exercise.

I think you just said what is key here: no exercise. Low carb diets were not really designed for active lifestyle. If you want to have enough fuel to burn on a long run, you need those carbohydrates. Your choices are simple: 1. resign yourself to being hungry and burned out on your rides. 2. give up cycling. 3. Give up the low-carb diet. Those are your alternatives. Which one do you wanna pick?

Good luck with your decision. WKB.