Food on a Cruise Lines

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by aem, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. aem

    aem Guest

    We've heard lots of stories about the food on large ship cruises. Some
    good, some bad. I'm curious if there is a consensus about the
    differences between various cruise lines. Not so much the quality,
    because I suspect that will depend on individual kitchen crews,
    wouldn't it? But In particular, we would like to be free from assigned
    seatings and free to find as much variety as is available on board at
    whatever times we get hungry. If any cruises make a real effort to
    serve the foods of whatever ports we call on, that would be a plus.
    Anyone have experiences/opinions to share? -aem

    Tags:

  2. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote

    > But In particular, we would like to be free from assigned
    > seatings and free to find as much variety as is available on board at
    > whatever times we get hungry.

    I've only been on one cruise so I can't help you to compare.
    What I can say is that I've seen a lot about how cruises are getting
    away from that assigned seating/dinner time routine that I hated.
    Also, the newer ships have a number of restaurants to choose
    from, you can get all different types of cuisines/atmospheres if
    you wish.

    > If any cruises make a real effort to
    > serve the foods of whatever ports we call on, that would be a plus.
    > Anyone have experiences/opinions to share?

    Have you booked already? A travel agent will be able to tell you
    what the story is with the different ships. At the very least they will
    give you brochures (?) that describe the ships and their amenities
    and dining choices.

    Yeah, I know that is obvious, but I'm just saying that they were
    helpful to me in that regard.

    nancy

  3. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    aem wrote:
    > We've heard lots of stories about the food on large ship cruises. Some
    > good, some bad. I'm curious if there is a consensus about the
    > differences between various cruise lines. Not so much the quality,
    > because I suspect that will depend on individual kitchen crews,
    > wouldn't it? But In particular, we would like to be free from assigned
    > seatings and free to find as much variety as is available on board at
    > whatever times we get hungry. If any cruises make a real effort to
    > serve the foods of whatever ports we call on, that would be a plus.
    > Anyone have experiences/opinions to share?

    For the best dining at sea you'll need to enlist in the US Navy....
    really.

    Commercial cruise food is pretty much on par with what's served at Las
    Vegas buffets, which is pretty good, and they typically serve you. But
    it's nowhere near as good as what's served in the dining room of a fine
    NYC hotel.

    Me, they'd have to pay me to go on a cruise, pay me a lot... after all
    the nothing but sky and water I've seen I've no desire to ever go on a
    cruise. For a lot less money I can spend a week at Lake Tahoe, see all
    the sky and water I want and the food is like a hundred times better,
    but I'm not chained to a ship. In fact I can have a lovely suite with
    a gorgeous view instead of that fercocktah broom closet with a porthole
    (if yer lucky) they call a stateroom.

  4. Sheldon wrote:

    > Me, they'd have to pay me to go on a cruise, pay me a lot... after all
    > the nothing but sky and water I've seen I've no desire to ever go on a
    > cruise. For a lot less money I can spend a week at Lake Tahoe, see all
    > the sky and water I want and the food is like a hundred times better,
    > but I'm not chained to a ship. In fact I can have a lovely suite with
    > a gorgeous view instead of that fercocktah broom closet with a porthole
    > (if yer lucky) they call a stateroom.

    Besides which I generally pretty much loathe people on land, I can't
    imaging being sardined in with thousands of morons on a cruise
    ship...there is NO place to escape other people whilst at sea. All
    that regimentation...YUCK!

    I'm with you, I go on a vacation to enjoy *less* stress, not encounter
    more.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  5. "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We've heard lots of stories about the food on large ship cruises.
    > Anyone have experiences/opinions to share? -aem

    Norwegian was good (the main dining room). There were a couple of side
    "snack bar-ish" areas which were gross. They also have some more
    "exclusive-feeling" restaurants where you pay between 10 and 20 dollars per
    entree, and those restaurants were very good, with less "hotel-style" food
    and more like fresh made-to-order specialties like steak house, Italian,
    Asian, etc. Overall we found the main dining room to be fine though. The
    drawback is overeating. YOu can order two entrees if you want to, and at
    some point you may start doing it because you want to try more than one
    thing. We were on an Alaskan Cruise and were really active during the day
    nevertheless I gained between 7 and 10 pounds. You've been forewarned.

    have fun

  6. "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Sheldon wrote:
    >
    > > Me, they'd have to pay me to go on a cruise, pay me a lot... after all
    > > the nothing but sky and water I've seen I've no desire to ever go on a
    > > cruise. For a lot less money I can spend a week at Lake Tahoe, see all
    > > the sky and water I want and the food is like a hundred times better,
    > > but I'm not chained to a ship. In fact I can have a lovely suite with
    > > a gorgeous view instead of that fercocktah broom closet with a porthole
    > > (if yer lucky) they call a stateroom.

    > Besides which I generally pretty much loathe people on land, I can't
    > imaging being sardined in with thousands of morons on a cruise
    > ship...there is NO place to escape other people whilst at sea. All
    > that regimentation...YUCK!
    >
    > I'm with you, I go on a vacation to enjoy *less* stress, not encounter
    > more.

    Our Alaskan cruise was great. I spent a huge amount of time hiking and
    kayaking and most cruises offer a lot of things to do on land or in the
    ports. The rest of the time it was fun to be with our companions and to
    travel by sea. There were some pretty cool performances and lectures, and
    during the day we weren't trapped on the ship unless we were having a
    travel/sea day. We also gambled a little. It just depends on how whether
    you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    every little thing I guess.

  7. sf

    sf Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:03:54 GMT, rox formerly rmg wrote:

    > It just depends on how whether
    > you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    > every little thing I guess.

    How true AND I absolutely love the days at sea. I spend them
    sleeping.

  8. aem

    aem Guest

    rox formerly rmg wrote:

    > Norwegian was good (the main dining room). There were a couple of side
    > "snack bar-ish" areas which were gross. They also have some more
    > "exclusive-feeling" restaurants where you pay between 10 and 20 dollars per
    > entree, and those restaurants were very good, with less "hotel-style" food
    > and more like fresh made-to-order specialties like steak house, Italian,
    > Asian, etc. Overall we found the main dining room to be fine though.

    Was this the Holland America line? -aem

  9. aem

    aem Guest

    rox formerly rmg wrote:
    > [snip] It just depends on how whether
    > you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    > every little thing I guess.

    If this happens, we'd be traveling with friends known to be compatible.
    It will be a struggle, but I think we can bear up and have a good time
    even in Sheldon's and Greg's absence. -aem

  10. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    news:[email protected]

  11. rox formerly rmg wrote:

    > "Gregory Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Sheldon wrote:
    > >
    > > > Me, they'd have to pay me to go on a cruise, pay me a lot... after all
    > > > the nothing but sky and water I've seen I've no desire to ever go on a
    > > > cruise. For a lot less money I can spend a week at Lake Tahoe, see all
    > > > the sky and water I want and the food is like a hundred times better,
    > > > but I'm not chained to a ship. In fact I can have a lovely suite with
    > > > a gorgeous view instead of that fercocktah broom closet with a porthole
    > > > (if yer lucky) they call a stateroom.

    > > Besides which I generally pretty much loathe people on land, I can't
    > > imaging being sardined in with thousands of morons on a cruise
    > > ship...there is NO place to escape other people whilst at sea. All
    > > that regimentation...YUCK!
    > >
    > > I'm with you, I go on a vacation to enjoy *less* stress, not encounter
    > > more.

    > Our Alaskan cruise was great. I spent a huge amount of time hiking and
    > kayaking and most cruises offer a lot of things to do on land or in the
    > ports. The rest of the time it was fun to be with our companions and to
    > travel by sea. There were some pretty cool performances and lectures, and
    > during the day we weren't trapped on the ship unless we were having a
    > travel/sea day. We also gambled a little. It just depends on how whether
    > you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    > every little thing I guess.

    The vast, vast majority of people bore the f*ck out of me and I'm very
    particular about things so a cruise is not the thing for me; I abhor
    "activities". I would I guess enjoy a trans - atlantic crossing on the
    Queen Mary or whatever but I'd have to have a super - deluxe suite in
    order to be away from all the people...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  12. aem wrote:

    > rox formerly rmg wrote:
    > > [snip] It just depends on how whether
    > > you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    > > every little thing I guess.

    > If this happens, we'd be traveling with friends known to be compatible.
    > It will be a struggle, but I think we can bear up and have a good time
    > even in Sheldon's and Greg's absence. -aem

    Lol...I bet me with Sheldon and me you'd have the time of your *life*
    :---)

    --
    Best
    Greg

  13. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> We've heard lots of stories about the food on large ship cruises.
    >> Anyone have experiences/opinions to share? -aem
    >>

    > Norwegian was good (the main dining room). There were a couple of side
    > "snack bar-ish" areas which were gross. They also have some more
    > "exclusive-feeling" restaurants where you pay between 10 and 20 dollars per
    > entree, and those restaurants were very good, with less "hotel-style" food
    > and more like fresh made-to-order specialties like steak house, Italian,
    > Asian, etc.

    I find it amazing that they need to charge "EXTRA" for an upscale restaurant
    when they usually charge several thousand dollars per person.

    Dimitri

  14. sf

    sf Guest

    On 27 Dec 2005 14:56:14 -0800, aem wrote:

    > We've heard lots of stories about the food on large ship cruises. Some
    > good, some bad. I'm curious if there is a consensus about the
    > differences between various cruise lines. Not so much the quality,
    > because I suspect that will depend on individual kitchen crews,
    > wouldn't it? But In particular, we would like to be free from assigned
    > seatings and free to find as much variety as is available on board at
    > whatever times we get hungry. If any cruises make a real effort to
    > serve the foods of whatever ports we call on, that would be a plus.
    > Anyone have experiences/opinions to share? -aem

    I think what you decide about cruise food depends on what your idea of
    grand dining is. Most of the time, I don't pig out and prefer to
    dance in their club rather than belly up to the midnight buffet.

    Try this web site for more information about dining on specific cruise
    lines - http://www.vacationstogo.com/cruise_dining.cfm

  15. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:03:54 GMT, rox formerly rmg wrote:
    >
    > > It just depends on how whether
    > > you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    > > every little thing I guess.

    > How true AND I absolutely love the days at sea. I spend them
    > sleeping.

    It's a whole lot less expensive to stay home and far more comfortable
    to sleep in your own bed.

  16. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    >
    > > Me, they'd have to pay me to go on a cruise, pay me a lot... after all
    > > the nothing but sky and water I've seen I've no desire to ever go on a
    > > cruise. For a lot less money I can spend a week at Lake Tahoe, see all
    > > the sky and water I want and the food is like a hundred times better,
    > > but I'm not chained to a ship. In fact I can have a lovely suite with
    > > a gorgeous view instead of that fercocktah broom closet with a porthole
    > > (if yer lucky) they call a stateroom.

    > Besides which I generally pretty much loathe people on land, I can't
    > imagine being sardined in with thousands of morons on a cruise
    > ship...there is NO place to escape other people whilst at sea. All
    > that regimentation...YUCK!

    Sounding more and more like the navy.

    > I'm with you, I go on a vacation to enjoy *less* stress, not encounter more.

    I don't mind people, in small doses... but if I'm on vacation I don't
    find being forced to spend a couple weeks asshole to bellybutton with a
    bunch of strangers I can't escape from any kind of relaxing. That's
    why I prefer high end hotels in gorgeous surroundings, where I can be
    with people if I want or can escape to perfect solitude whenever I
    desire, whether on horseback riding through the wonderful piney woods
    or pampering in my own magnificent marble private spa... and in those
    regards nowhere on the planet surpasses Tahoe. And if I'm feeling
    nautical I'd much rather a moonlight dinner cruise on the lake aboard a
    paddle wheeler, where I know three hours and I can be snuggled in a
    luxurious kingsize bed rather than some fercocktah youth bed all
    cramped into a cell like at Alcatraz.

    I really can't believe folks spend big bucks for a boat ride... wtf is
    wrong with the Staten Island Ferry.

  17. aem

    aem Guest

  18. Sheldon wrote:
    > sf wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:03:54 GMT, rox formerly rmg wrote:
    >>

    >>> It just depends on how whether
    >>> you're able to find other people interesting rather than get irritated by
    >>> every little thing I guess.

    >>How true AND I absolutely love the days at sea. I spend them
    >>sleeping.

    > It's a whole lot less expensive to stay home and far more comfortable
    > to sleep in your own bed.

    That may be.. But Cruise ships also have a night, and it can be lively

    --
    John in Detroit E-Dress is smoked, try: w a 8 y x m at a r r l dot n e t

  19. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    John in Detroit wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > sf wrote:

    > >>How true AND I absolutely love the days at sea. I spend them
    > >>sleeping.

    > > It's a whole lot less expensive to stay home and far more comfortable
    > > to sleep in your own bed.
    > >

    > That may be.. But Cruise ships also have a night, and it can be lively

    We're talking sleeping here.... what kinda lively are you engaged, wet
    dreams?

  20. RoR

    RoR Guest

    On 27 Dec 2005 14:56:14 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We've heard lots of stories about the food on large ship cruises. Some
    >good, some bad. I'm curious if there is a consensus about the
    >differences between various cruise lines. Not so much the quality,
    >because I suspect that will depend on individual kitchen crews,
    >wouldn't it? But In particular, we would like to be free from assigned
    >seatings and free to find as much variety as is available on board at
    >whatever times we get hungry. If any cruises make a real effort to
    >serve the foods of whatever ports we call on, that would be a plus.
    >Anyone have experiences/opinions to share? -aem

    My wife has been on three different cruises and says Holland America is the best.

    She didn't care for the open seating arrangement, but the food was still good on HA.

    --
    Rick R
    [email protected]ult