Food on a Cruise Lines

PastaLover wrote:

> Don't bet on it. Due to a chronic digestive aliment I've had for nearly
> 30 years, I'm currently on a clear liquid diet for the foreseeable
> future. It was hard enough last time when I only had to last 8 days
> on-ship.

Clear liquid diets will not support life very nicely. We don't make
patients stay on them longer than a few days.

Goomba38 wrote:
> PastaLover wrote:
>
>> Don't bet on it. Due to a chronic digestive aliment I've had for
>> nearly 30 years, I'm currently on a clear liquid diet for the
>> foreseeable future. It was hard enough last time when I only had to
>> last 8 days on-ship.

> Clear liquid diets will not support life very nicely. We don't make
> patients stay on them longer than a few days.

Tell it to my gastroenterologist.

In article <XrMsf.92$JT.13@fed1read06>,
PastaLover <[email protected]> wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > PastaLover wrote:
> >
> >> Don't bet on it. Due to a chronic digestive aliment I've had for
> >> nearly 30 years, I'm currently on a clear liquid diet for the
> >> foreseeable future. It was hard enough last time when I only had to
> >> last 8 days on-ship.

> > Clear liquid diets will not support life very nicely. We don't make
> > patients stay on them longer than a few days.

> Tell it to my gastroenterologist.

I have to take your word for it, but I agree with Goomba38's statement
about "will not support life very nicely".

I was on a clear liquid diet recently for one lousy day. I was
miserable and couldn't wait to get some solid food. I had a test and
failed it, so they put me on a liquid diet with lots of liquid
laxatives. I took the test a second time and everything was fine. It
was a very routine test that you are supposed to have every ten years
once you hit a certain age. I stopped at the deli on the way home and
ate a giant sandwich.

When my children were born, they were all Csection and they gave my wife
something that stopped her digestive system. She was on a liquid diet
until things started moving again. She really hated it. It was
probably just a day.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

PastaLover wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> PastaLover wrote:
>>
>>> Don't bet on it. Due to a chronic digestive aliment I've had for
>>> nearly 30 years, I'm currently on a clear liquid diet for the
>>> foreseeable future. It was hard enough last time when I only had to
>>> last 8 days on-ship.

>> Clear liquid diets will not support life very nicely. We don't make
>> patients stay on them longer than a few days.

> Tell it to my gastroenterologist.

How long did he say you were to do this? Or did he perhaps suggest you
do it intermittantly as symptoms became troublesome? Sometimes patients
misunderstand, y'know?

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote

> Even if the experience was good, for two weeks that comes close to
> $1,000/day for what amounts to little more than meals and a boat ride.

I've only taken one cruise and while it was okay, I wouldn't go out of
my way to go again. Perhaps if I'd taken a cruise that went someplace
more interesting than the Caribbean, I'd have enjoyed it more. I was
much, much happier when the ship was at sea and that was only the
first day. The other 5 days/whatever were island hopping.

Did some of my best sleeping as the ship moved at night. Very relaxing.

Couldn't understand someone I worked with who took a honeymoon
cruise ... to Bermuda. If I'm going to stay in one place, I'll just get a
hotel room, I don't get paying for the small room and all the meals I'll
never eat if it's not acting as a ship. Just me.

This was Royal American, I remember the food as being very good
but nothing I wouldn't expect. I remember more having to be ready and
dressed (up) for dinner at the same time every night, we took early shift
I think, I'm not into that schedule kind of thing.

What really sucked about cruising I don't think can or will be changed,
checking out was a friggin nightmare. Also, since last I checked, I'm
paying, I don't expect to be *ordered* to pose for pictures by the cruise
staff. ORDERED.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Even if the experience was good, for two weeks that comes close to
>> $1,000/day for what amounts to little more than meals and a boat ride.

> I've only taken one cruise and while it was okay, I wouldn't go out of
> my way to go again. Perhaps if I'd taken a cruise that went someplace
> more interesting than the Caribbean, I'd have enjoyed it more. I was
> much, much happier when the ship was at sea and that was only the
> first day. The other 5 days/whatever were island hopping.
>
> Did some of my best sleeping as the ship moved at night. Very relaxing.
>
> Couldn't understand someone I worked with who took a honeymoon
> cruise ... to Bermuda. If I'm going to stay in one place, I'll just get a
> hotel room, I don't get paying for the small room and all the meals I'll
> never eat if it's not acting as a ship. Just me.
>
> This was Royal American, I remember the food as being very good
> but nothing I wouldn't expect. I remember more having to be ready and
> dressed (up) for dinner at the same time every night, we took early shift
> I think, I'm not into that schedule kind of thing.
>
> What really sucked about cruising I don't think can or will be changed,
> checking out was a friggin nightmare. Also, since last I checked, I'm
> paying, I don't expect to be *ordered* to pose for pictures by the cruise
> staff. ORDERED.
>
> nancy

Where can I reach this Cruise director?...I have wanted a picture of you
for years. Does the Director still have the negative?

"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote

>> Also, since last I checked, I'm
>> paying, I don't expect to be *ordered* to pose for pictures by the cruise
>> staff. ORDERED.
>>
>> nancy

> Where can I reach this Cruise director?...I have wanted a picture of you
> for years. Does the Director still have the negative?j

(laugh!) Nope, they burned those suckers. Didn't want to hang them up
on the wall of pictures and scare off the rest of the passengers.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>,
"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've only taken one cruise and while it was okay, I wouldn't go out of
> my way to go again. Perhaps if I'd taken a cruise that went someplace
> more interesting than the Caribbean, I'd have enjoyed it more. I was
> much, much happier when the ship was at sea and that was only the
> first day. The other 5 days/whatever were island hopping.

We go on several cruises every year. We pay US$11 per person each way.

:)

My wife is a Giants baseball fan, and it's a lot easier and more fun to
take the ferry.

ObFood: It's extra. Doughnuts, chips and hot dogs. They do have beer
and mixed drinks.

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:44:35 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> Did some of my best sleeping as the ship moved at night. Very relaxing.

I agree... sleeping onboard is wonderful! I don't nap very often, but
I certainly look forward to a day at sea so I can take a nap.

> Couldn't understand someone I worked with who took a honeymoon
> cruise ... to Bermuda. If I'm going to stay in one place, I'll just get a
> hotel room, I don't get paying for the small room and all the meals I'll
> never eat if it's not acting as a ship. Just me.

I'm unclear on the concept.

> This was Royal American, I remember the food as being very good
> but nothing I wouldn't expect. I remember more having to be ready and
> dressed (up) for dinner at the same time every night, we took early shift
> I think, I'm not into that schedule kind of thing.

Serves you right for taking the early shift. I always do the late
shift. I can eat and then it's time to party.

> What really sucked about cruising I don't think can or will be changed,
> checking out was a friggin nightmare.

I don't remember it being that horrible. Let's say it's no worse than
checking in at the airport.

> Also, since last I checked, I'm
> paying, I don't expect to be *ordered* to pose for pictures by the cruise

I politely decline. I don't do pictures with the Captain either... in
fact, I skip that reception.

All that said, my ideal trip will be cruise based and will cover the
entire coast of Europe. I absolutely hate packing and unpacking, so
going back to the ship to sleep and move on to a new port is my idea
of nirvana.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:44:35 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Couldn't understand someone I worked with who took a honeymoon
>> cruise ... to Bermuda. If I'm going to stay in one place, I'll just get
>> hotel room, I don't get paying for the small room and all the meals I'll
>> never eat if it's not acting as a ship. Just me.

> I'm unclear on the concept.

The ship sails out of (wherever, New York or Miami) then docks
in Bermuda, you stay on the boat, then after so many days it brings
you back.

>> This was Royal American, I remember the food as being very good
>> but nothing I wouldn't expect. I remember more having to be ready and
>> dressed (up) for dinner at the same time every night, we took early
>> shift
>> I think, I'm not into that schedule kind of thing.

> Serves you right for taking the early shift. I always do the late
> shift.

You missed the point, early or late, I still have an assigned time to dine,
it's scheduled.

> I can eat and then it's time to party.

I partied after, too. And before.

>> What really sucked about cruising I don't think can or will be changed,
>> checking out was a friggin nightmare.

> I don't remember it being that horrible. Let's say it's no worse than
> checking in at the airport.

Another nuisance *added* to the boat disboarding routine. Oh,
goodie, twice the hassle!

>> Also, since last I checked, I'm
>> paying, I don't expect to be *ordered* to pose for pictures by the
>> cruise

> I politely decline.

I tried nice. I tried stern. I tried annoyed. They insisted I will
have my picture taken.

> All that said, my ideal trip will be cruise based and will cover the
> entire coast of Europe. I absolutely hate packing and unpacking, so
> going back to the ship to sleep and move on to a new port is my idea
> of nirvana.

Europe would be more interesting, of course, than the Caribbean.
No offense meant to the islands, but not much going on there,
really, unless you like beaches. Not my scene.

nancy

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> said:
> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote
> > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:44:35 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Couldn't understand someone I worked with who took a honeymoon
> >> cruise ... to Bermuda. If I'm going to stay in one place, I'll just
> >> get a hotel room, I don't get paying for the small room and all
> >> the meals I'll never eat if it's not acting as a ship. Just me.

> > I'm unclear on the concept.

> The ship sails out of (wherever, New York or Miami) then docks
> in Bermuda, you stay on the boat, then after so many days it brings
> you back.

<snip>

I've never been on a cruise, but I was under the impression that
one could book activities that would take them out of their room
and off of the boat. At least that's what the commercials claim...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

"S'mee" <[email protected]> wrote

> One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> said:

>> The ship sails out of (wherever, New York or Miami) then docks
>> in Bermuda, you stay on the boat, then after so many days it brings
>> you back.

> I've never been on a cruise, but I was under the impression that
> one could book activities that would take them out of their room
> and off of the boat. At least that's what the commercials claim...

Oh, of course you can! But you can stay in a hotel for cheaper and
the accomodations are roomier, to say the least. The good part of
being on a ship is that it goes places. If you're just going to stay in
one place, why spend it on a ship.

Also, I don't know if you have to be back on board by a certain time,
we had to be back by 5, but then the ship sailed every night ... not until
nighttime, but you still had to be back and accounted for.

nancy

S'mee wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> said:

>>>I'm unclear on the concept.

>>The ship sails out of (wherever, New York or Miami) then docks
>>in Bermuda, you stay on the boat, then after so many days it brings
>>you back.

> <snip>

snip
Same old story, different strokes for different folks. We've been on
lots of cruises and love it. Waste of time to try and explain why
though, you either like it or you don't....

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article <XrMsf.92$JT.13@fed1read06>,
> PastaLover <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Goomba38 wrote:

>>>Clear liquid diets will not support life very nicely. We don't make
>>>patients stay on them longer than a few days.

>>Tell it to my gastroenterologist.

> I have to take your word for it, but I agree with Goomba38's statement
> about "will not support life very nicely".
>
> I was on a clear liquid diet recently for one lousy day. I was
> miserable and couldn't wait to get some solid food. I had a test and
> failed it, so they put me on a liquid diet with lots of liquid
> laxatives. I took the test a second time and everything was fine. It
> was a very routine test that you are supposed to have every ten years
> once you hit a certain age. I stopped at the deli on the way home and
> ate a giant sandwich.
>
> When my children were born, they were all Csection and they gave my wife
> something that stopped her digestive system. She was on a liquid diet
> until things started moving again. She really hated it. It was
> probably just a day.

I feel your pain. There are times when I have to do clear liquids for a
week or so at a time. I really hate it too. Hence my original statement!

Not that I really have to explain myself for stating an opinion, but
here goes:

The "traditional" clear liquid diet usually prescribed in US hospitals
is something like weak tea, jello, and bullion cube broth. You're right,
no one can subsist on that for more than a day or two.

I have Crohn's Disease. For various reasons, there are several
treatments for this that just don't seem to work for me. My current
gastroenterologist insists on "taking it slow" and does not feel that
I'm a good candidate for surgery to repair some strictures. I have
trouble healing from too many medically prescribed steriods for this
disease when younger. So, I occassionally get partial bowel
obstructions. When I get one, I switch to an extended "clear" liquid
diet until the obstruction passes. Sometimes, I end up in the hospital
for IV fluids and observation.

Stress makes Crohn's worse, and a long time deployment on a cruise ship
is quite stressful to me. I hate being away from home and my friends and
my dog. Plus just the hassles of having to deal with Customs and
security and all the travel...

I avoid bullion cubes (too much salt), and weak tea (too much caffine),
althought I do some herbal teas. With my doctor's permission, we've
extended the definition of "clear liquid" to be basically anything that
doesn't have any decernable fiber or bulk. So I juice my own veggies and
fruits, and then further strain them to get any fiber out. Taste fatique
is bad with a liquid diet, so I also add variety with odd-ball things
like crab juice or different blends of veggie juices.

I try to avoid refined sugar, but have found several "clear"
body-builder suppliments (that taste terrible) for protein and
electrolytes and carbohydrates.

When I get bad enough that I have to be on the liquid diet for more than
a couple weeks, I use a medical food called Vivonex or Tolerex (brand
names for two very similar products). Problem is, it's very expensive
and not covered by any insurance. And tastes about as bad as anything
I've ever tasted.

The liquid diet is followed in my recovery period by baby food and
cooked cereals (Cream of Wheat, etc.), and mashed potatoes, very very
well cooked pasta (no al dente for me), etc.

I did a week long cruise last Christmas to fix a problem that took me
all of 20 minutes to fix. I work in Customer Support on computer systems
and could have actually fixed the problem remotely, but the customer
wanted a warm body on the spot. Spent the rest of the cruise in agony
because my stomach was bothering me and I couldn't eat much of anything
but jello and some days vanilla ice cream. The cruise line doesn't
actually cater to infants (so I didn't have baby food available as a
fall back), nor do they do much in the way of special meals (outside of
a few Kosher dishes, etc.)

Cruising really isn't designed for anyone with any kind of disabilities,
dietary or otherwise. And that's why most of the major cruise lines are
actually licensed in foreign countries: So they don't have to abide by
some of the US equal opporunity laws.

PS: I'm currently looking for a less conservative gastroenterologist, as
well as looking for a different position that will not require this
amount of travel.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:08:27 GMT, S'mee wrote:

> I've never been on a cruise, but I was under the impression that
> one could book activities that would take them out of their room
> and off of the boat. At least that's what the commercials claim...

<S> You don't need to "book" anything. All you need is some interest
in the area, a guidebook and the self-confidence to use local
transportation. I've been on two cruises to the Carribean and never
wasted my time sitting on a beach during shore time.

S'mee wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> said:

>>>I'm unclear on the concept.

>>The ship sails out of (wherever, New York or Miami) then docks
>>in Bermuda, you stay on the boat, then after so many days it brings
>>you back.

> <snip>
>
> I've never been on a cruise, but I was under the impression that
> one could book activities that would take them out of their room
> and off of the boat. At least that's what the commercials claim...

Depends upon the cruise line, and the length of the cruise, and where it
goes. The shorter (3-day and 4-day) cruises from New York/New Jersey or
Florida to Bermuda or the Bahamas are what is referred to in the trade
as "booze cruises". They are primarily for 3 or 4 days of partying and
gambling, with more limited options while in-port. Many of the cruise
lines "home port" in Nassau or Bermuda and are required by local law to
have the ship come to the home port every so often as part of the legal
requirement to be licensed in that port. The ships make enough money on
the bar tab and the gaming and the on-ship duty-free shopping that they
really don't need to offer much more.

Longer week or 2 week cruises are what you're seeing on the commericals.
You know, with the rock climbing, glacier sightseeing, fancy excursions,
etc.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:08:27 GMT, S'mee wrote:
>
>> I've never been on a cruise, but I was under the impression that
>> one could book activities that would take them out of their room
>> and off of the boat. At least that's what the commercials claim...

> <S> You don't need to "book" anything. All you need is some interest
> in the area, a guidebook and the self-confidence to use local
> transportation. I've been on two cruises to the Carribean and never
> wasted my time sitting on a beach during shore time.

Oh, I took the tours, after 3 islands I got the general idea. I think
it was St. Thomas we went on a submarine to see the bay floor,
that was interesting.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> But In particular, we would like to be free from assigned
>> seatings and free to find as much variety as is available on board at
>> whatever times we get hungry.

> I've only been on one cruise so I can't help you to compare.
> Have you booked already? A travel agent will be able to tell you
> what the story is with the different ships. At the very least they
> will give you brochures (?) that describe the ships and their
> amenities
> and dining choices.
>
> Yeah, I know that is obvious, but I'm just saying that they were
> helpful to me in that regard.

I can't comment on a cruise since I haven't been on one and really don't
care to go. But I have a story about a woman John and I met in Wade's, a
restaurant in Prairie Village, Kansas last April (I think it was). She was
80 years old and about to go on her 50th (or something like that) cruise.
She told us she LOVES cruising and has such fun and we really should go on
one. (She also called John my "hot daddy"; I swear the woman was hitting on
him LOL)

I don't know that food was her first priority but she was a HOOT to talk to.
They brought her a special pudding for her lunch that wasn't on the menu.
Ah, a regular. She'd already been there for breakfast. Then she told us
about how she'd been to the Blue Moose the night before. Told us her son,
god rest him, used to ride Harleys. She was out on the patio "having a few
drinks" when she spotted this Harley parked by it and got up to admire it.
The Harley owner offered to take her a spin around the parking lot and she
went! "Go granny, go go go!" LOL She was a fun and energetic lady!

Jill