Food preparation for my first 100 miler

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Webby

Hi all,

I plan to do my first 100 miler in two weeks time and was wondering what food intake I should be
taking in the final days of preparation.

I was especially thinking along the lines of the marathon runners "Pasta party" the day before
there run.

I must say that breakfast is an important meal of the day, and I certainly don't fire on all
cylinders until I've had mine.

Thanks

Webby

Is this a century or a race? (thinking about intensity of effort).

jw

[email protected] (Webby) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> I plan to do my first 100 miler in two weeks time and was wondering what food intake I should be
> taking in the final days of preparation.
>
> I was especially thinking along the lines of the marathon runners "Pasta party" the day before
> there run.
>
> I must say that breakfast is an important meal of the day, and I certainly don't fire on all
> cylinders until I've had mine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Webby

Do you have feed stops on the way?

If you do *and* the first one isn't too far into the ride what you eat the night before isn't all
that important, as long as it agrees with you.

On most of my centuries I plan to have breakfast 30 miles into the ride and then eat every 30 miles
after that. As a marathoner I can attest that a big bowl of pasta giving you enough fuel to run 26.2
miles the next day is a myth. Much of that energy is used during the night to keep your heart
beating, lungs breathing, etc.

If you don't have any feed stops and will be carying all you eat then make sure you get a good mix
of protien, carbohydrates and fat the night before. I find that pasta with giant meatballs works for
me. Your experience will probably be different.

What did you eat the night before your did long rides during training? Then go with that.
Experimenting the day of the ride is a bad idea.

Andy

"amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Webby) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I plan to do my first 100 miler in two weeks time and was wondering what food intake I should be
> > taking in the final days of preparation.

Eat well, and don't let yourself get hungry for a few days before. The original studies on carbo
loading had it as a week long event.

> >
> > I was especially thinking along the lines of the marathon runners "Pasta party" the day before
> > there run.

I like to find an all you can eat Indian buffet :)

> >
> > I must say that breakfast is an important meal of the day, and I certainly don't fire on all
> > cylinders until I've had mine.

Don't spend the night digesting a heavy meal. Eating the morning of the ride is a good idea, again
make sure it's of a quality and amount that you have digested most of it by the time of the ride
start. For me that means a bannana and a bowl of unsweetened whole-grain cereal.

> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Webby
>
> Do you have feed stops on the way?
>
> If you do *and* the first one isn't too far into the ride what you eat the night before isn't all
> that important, as long as it agrees with you.
>
> On most of my centuries I plan to have breakfast 30 miles into the ride and then eat every 30
> miles after that. As a marathoner I can attest that a big bowl of pasta giving you enough fuel to
> run 26.2 miles the next day is a myth. Much of that energy is used during the night to keep your
> heart beating, lungs breathing, etc.

True, but ever try an event like that going to bed on an empty stomach?

>
> If you don't have any feed stops and will be carying all you eat then make sure you get a good mix
> of protien, carbohydrates and fat the night before. I find that pasta with giant meatballs works
> for me. Your experience will probably be different.
>
> What did you eat the night before your did long rides during training? Then go with that.
> Experimenting the day of the ride is a bad idea.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't plan food stops along the way, I normally take a break when I'm hungry or have to visit
the toilet. I do have the chance on most parts of the route to stop and replenish food, thats
no problem.

As I do not watch what I eat at all before any rides, I was wondering how much of an improvement the
correct preparation of meals would be for me on a long ride such as this.

Cheers

Webby

In rec.bicycles.rides amh <[email protected]> wrote:
: carbohydrates the night before a long ride. It can't hurt. But keep in mind that your dinner will
: be gone by the time you hit the first 10 or so miles. Much better to refuel frequently than rely
: on one large meal.

Getting your hourly dosage of carbs could be a good idea. One reason to train long rides is you
train eating and digestion as well.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

Status
Not open for further replies.