Food Question - Early Morning...Short Ride

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
If 15 minutes after waking up I want to ride for 45 minutes (moderate intensity), what should I consider in terms of food/drink before the ride?

noonievut said:
If 15 minutes after waking up I want to ride for 45 minutes (moderate intensity), what should I consider in terms of food/drink before the ride?
I am sure that somebody knows what the "right" thing to eat is, but I personally find that all I can manage is one of those gels before I go out. The Clif Shot stuff is pretty palatable as far as gels go.

Anything else is just too much to try to choke down when you are literally rolling out of bed and onto the bike at 4:30 in the AM. Plus, I may be the victim of marketing hype, but I do feel a fairly immediate boost when I have one before I start, and again about 40-45 minutes later when I suck down another one.

Just my 2c

grv said:
I am sure that somebody knows what the "right" thing to eat is, but I personally find that all I can manage is one of those gels before I go out. The Clif Shot stuff is pretty palatable as far as gels go.

Anything else is just too much to try to choke down when you are literally rolling out of bed and onto the bike at 4:30 in the AM. Plus, I may be the victim of marketing hype, but I do feel a fairly immediate boost when I have one before I start, and again about 40-45 minutes later when I suck down another one.

Just my 2c

I was thinking that could be the way to go, but I was hoping for an inexpensive solution as I plan to have an early morning ride like this twice a week.

What about espresso (or coffee), which I do now? I can't say it works for certain, but I'm pretty awake within 15 minutes of having one.

Tomorrow I'll try a gel and water and see how it goes (faster than waiting for coffee so I wake up a few minutes later :eek: ).

noonievut said:
I was thinking that could be the way to go, but I was hoping for an inexpensive solution as I plan to have an early morning ride like this twice a week.

What about espresso (or coffee), which I do now? I can't say it works for certain, but I'm pretty awake within 15 minutes of having one.

Tomorrow I'll try a gel and water and see how it goes (faster than waiting for coffee so I wake up a few minutes later :eek: ).
I hear you about the cost - those little buggers add up.

The coffee might get the eyes open, and on a short ride that may be enough. I found that when I started to go out for longer / ride harder, I had to put some fuel in the tank. When I roll out in the morning, it's been ages since I ate (waaay back to dinner time), and I tend to get tired like that.

Personally I would stay away from the caffiene before your workouts or morning rides because caffiene will dehydrate you. Also, it is a diuretic which probably won't cause any trouble on a short morning ride, but a cramp because you have to pee is no fun.

I'd sugges trying a banana in the morning or toast with peanut butter. I've never had any problem with those two; even before distance runs they settled fine.

A few streches would definitely be benificial also.

if i ride or run first thing in the morning, i drink some water but that's it.
i then "refuel" afterwards by eating breakfast.
really no need for anything before going out on the bike or on the pavement...

noonievut said:
I do this most days, but the ride time varies between 30 and 180 minutes.

I eat nothing. But I do have water on my bike and drink some straight away.

Your body will fine for 45 minutes, so I wouldn't worry eating anything.

I went for a 1 hour ride this morning and just had a gel and water 15 minutes before. I had a water bottle during the ride and ate when I got to work.

I think it worked fine though I was a little sluggish at the start of the ride. Not an issue though as I was warming up.

That is basically the recipe for my commute. Mine is closer to an hour, and a Power/Clif/Whateverbar is perfect if I am going to hammer. A gel or nothing if I am going to cruise.

noonievut said:
I often ride very early. If I am riding for 75 minutes or less, I do not feel the need to eat anything before the ride but rather munch of something during the ride. I have checked performance results (times, heart rates, cadence, etc.) and it makes no difference on such a ride whether or not I eat before or not.

What is the purpose of the ride? Moderate intensity suggests general fitness. If you're trying to lose weight then you don't need to eat anything. I would skip the coffee and replace it with water. I would also bring a sports drink regardless of the length of ride - it helps a little with the ride but also gives your body some energy for after the ride, when you probably need to go to work. If you're trying to train I would ask why you're riding a general fitness ride twice a week.

normZurawski said:
What is the purpose of the ride? Moderate intensity suggests general fitness. If you're trying to lose weight then you don't need to eat anything. I would skip the coffee and replace it with water. I would also bring a sports drink regardless of the length of ride - it helps a little with the ride but also gives your body some energy for after the ride, when you probably need to go to work. If you're trying to train I would ask why you're riding a general fitness ride twice a week.

Just general fitness. I've never truly "trained" per say.

Then I go with skipping breakfast altogether. Drink water before you go. Light sports drink or water on the ride, depending if you're trying to lose weight I suppose. Not real important either way. Enjoy your coffee when you get back so you don't need to chug it down.

Hi,

Hoodia Gordonii An Effective And Pure Herbal Method For Gaining Weight Loss & other Health problems. 100% Pure Hoodia Gordonii Medicines Has No Side Effects. It Work Postively On Your Body And Weight Loss Naturally.

noonievut said:

===========================================================
You could get up earlier and have a museli and fruit:)

Hi,

Hoodia Gordonii An Effective And Pure Herbal Method For Gaining Weight Loss & other Health problems. 100% Pure Hoodia Gordonii Medicines Has No Side Effects. It Work Postively On Your Body And Weight Loss Naturally.