Food when Touring

Norsman

Feb 11, 2004
What do you eat when touring or on a long day ride? In particular the mid-day meal. I have made some bad choices at these mid-day meals and had to pay for it for the rest of the day.

Originally posted by Norsman
What do you eat when touring or on a long day ride? In particular the mid-day meal. I have made some bad choices at these mid-day meals and had to pay for it for the rest of the day.

I simply stick with Power Bars or Clif bars for the long rides. (OK, Ok if cookies are available I will have a few of those to) Whatever sits well with you would of course be what counts. I would recomend saying away from any milk products & heavy foods. I would also recomend snacking as you go, so you don't overload your system & start feeling sick. I can't stand banana's but they are good for you, etc... Hope this helps

For touring my staple diet for lunches is bread or baguettes, with cheese, tomato or whatever else is available at the local shops, like tuna or jam.

My trips have all been 4- 6 days so far. Hopefully longer soon...

I've had the best success with a breakfast of granola with extra fresh fruit added (I pack a large bag of it at the start of the trip, but buy the fresh fruit each night before on the road if possible) , a Power Bar every 1 hour or so, and believe it or not Subway for lunch.(depending on availability) I buy a 12" sub, eat half and save half for mid-late afternoon. Good for carbs.
Then once I've found camping for the night, I allow myself a heavier protein meal for recovery (salmon, chicken, whatever's available).
The Power Bars are a lifesaver, I buy a box full to save $$ and carry them all from the beginning of the trip. Don't mind the extra weight, it's worth it.
I also carry a container of powdered Gatorade, another lifesaver.
I avoid milk, it makes me feel heavy and plugged up.
Granola with orange Gatorade instead of milk isn't too bad once you get used to it...

Cheers
Lou