foods for caloric intake

bryanquinn

Jan 19, 2004
I just realized that there's a good chance that I'm not getting the right amount of calories per day for my activities. Although I'm not loosing weight, I'm concerned that different systems in my body might not be getting what they need. My question is this: what do cyclists on a rigorous training schedule eat to maintain the proper caloric balance their body needs. If I follow the scales that food manufacturers list I'll likely explode before I reach what I need. TIA.
BQ

Originally posted by bryanquinn
I just realized that there's a good chance that I'm not getting the right amount of calories per day for my activities. Although I'm not loosing weight, I'm concerned that different systems in my body might not be getting what they need. My question is this: what do cyclists on a rigorous training schedule eat to maintain the proper caloric balance their body needs. If I follow the scales that food manufacturers list I'll likely explode before I reach what I need. TIA.
BQ

complex carbs/protien/fat

Its not that hard to get the high calorie intake of the right foods.
for instance juice has a lot of calories,bagels,whole wheat bread with peanut butter, hot cereals, juice like apple, grape,cranberry, pineapple. eat this kinda stuff between meals to boost calorie intake, look at this link http://www.health.arizona.edu/Healt...rition and Eating Issues/sports/bkfsnacks.pdf

Thanks for the site. I've noticed that alot of times the day after I've done a tempo ride that my attitude is really bad. I'm irratable and cranky. Could this be due to dietary inadaquacies?
Yes, this is most probably due a lack of carbohydrate. This is one of the first symptoms of glycogen depletion.

This also fits with the type of exercise you were doing, given that temp rides use carbohydrate at a very fast rate.

Try taking carbohydrate on while you are training and see if this affects your emotions and level of fatigue.

Originally posted by 2LAP
Yes, this is most probably due a lack of carbohydrate. This is one of the first symptoms of glycogen depletion.

This also fits with the type of exercise you were doing, given that temp rides use carbohydrate at a very fast rate.

Try taking carbohydrate on while you are training and see if this affects your emotions and level of fatigue.

Given your experience, what have you found to be the most efficient means for doing this. ie: gels or corbo mix drinks? Also how much should one intake during say a two hour ride?

Given your experience, what have you found to be the most efficient means for doing this. ie: gels or corbo mix drinks? Also how much should one intake during say a two hour ride?
There is lots of information about this on the web; its perhaps best if you do some searching. This is what works for me...

I often use a mixture of solid foods, plain water and energy drinks on the bike. In training I prefer solids with plain water (about 500 ml per hour). Before I started on a veggie diet, I used to have jelly babies on most rides as they are easy to eat at any intensity. Jam sandwiches go down well as do slim fast bars, energy bars and cereal bars. If you use an energy drink don't make it any stronger than a 7% solution as this will lead to an upset stomach. I don't take anything on a ride of less than 1 hour unless it is very hot. In races I use only energy drinks with some solids just in case.

Hope this helps. As you can see its worth playing around with carbohydrate rich food during training.