Foot Cramps

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi Fellow Benters,

    The arch of my feet cramp up while and after riding. I wear running shoes and use bear trap pedals
    (or rat trap or some other animal trap).

    I will be getting some Frog pedals soon, and bicycle shoes. Will that likely alleviate my
    foot cramps?

    FYI, I'm new to benting.

    Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

    Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    Tags:

  2. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    > Thanks in advance for your sage advice.
    >
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    Do a google search. I found several pages of foot stretches to do that eliminated my night cramps
    in my toes.

  3. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    No night cramps here, just muscle cramps in the arches while I ride.

    Rob

    "MLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Thanks in advance for your sage advice.
    > >
    > > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2
    > >

    > Do a google search. I found several pages of foot stretches to do that eliminated my night cramps
    > in my toes.

  4. Akensmith

    Akensmith Guest

    >I will be getting some Frog pedals soon, and bicycle shoes. Will that likely
    alleviate my foot cramps?>>

    I'm not familiar with the Frog pedals, but a stiff-soled cycling shoe should be of considerable
    help. Running shoes flex, which is good for running, but bad for cycling.

    Norm

  5. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in news:HZ5ga.55$qi7.3475 @eagle.america.net:

    > No night cramps here, just muscle cramps in the arches while I ride.
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > "MLB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> > Thanks in advance for your sage advice.
    >> >
    >> > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2
    >> >

    >> Do a google search. I found several pages of foot stretches to do that eliminated my night cramps
    >> in my toes.

    (a cramp is a cramp, doesn't much matter what TIME they occur)

  6. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Fellow Benters,
    >
    > The arch of my feet cramp up while and after riding. I wear running shoes and use bear trap pedals
    > (or rat trap or some other animal trap).
    >
    > I will be getting some Frog pedals soon, and bicycle shoes. Will that
    likely
    > alleviate my foot cramps?
    >
    > FYI, I'm new to benting.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

    Rob, i get cramps in my feet occasionally. Getting clipless pedals did help but what helped the most
    was bigger shoes and wiggling toes occasionally.

    If the pain is in the arch the bike shoes should help a great deal. The stiffer sole should keep you
    from clenching your foot!

  7. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I used to have the same type of problem with my left foot really bad. I had some custom inserts
    made that cost about $100 and this has remarkably cured the problem. I very rarely have discomfort
    at all anymore.

    BentMick

  8. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    [email protected] (Mick) wrote in news:ee9aa44b.0303261105.2c3fdb3 @posting.google.com:

    > I used to have the same type of problem with my left foot really bad. I had some custom inserts
    > made that cost about $100 and this has remarkably cured the problem. I very rarely have discomfort
    > at all anymore.
    >
    > BentMick

    Orthotics are really hit or miss. Know several people that spent 100's and they don't help. Others
    swear by them.

  9. I have had this problem on occasion while riding my Stratus. I talked to my Podiatrist (sp) about
    this recently and he said it can be caused by the seat being too far away from the pedals. He said
    this causes you to "reach" and extend the ball of the foot to far to keep contact when the stroke is
    furthest forward and that extra extension is the problem. I don't know if this is good info or not,
    just thought I would throw it out there.

    Strat