Foot hits front wheel

hansenator

Feb 9, 2014
Hello,

I've found that, if I do everything just right, my foot hits the front tire. Is this common? I tried to put a front fender on but of course that didn't work out.

So does mine, it's not uncommon. It's called "toe overlap", and usually only a problem at parking lot speeds(or slower). I've never had a problem other than scuffing the toe box of my riding shoe... it's never been an issue on a ride.

Mine, too.

The only known cures are
  • (shorter feet
  • shorter cranks
  • mounting your cleats further forward (virtual shorter feet)
  • losing your toes in a mountaineering expedition (surgical shorter feet)

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
  • losing your toes in a mountaineering expedition (surgical shorter feet)
Nothing a case of severe frostbite can't facilitate. Just leave the wool socks at home on yer next soiree up K2 in lieu of a nice pair made of cotton... the touch, the (lack of) feel, the fabric of our lives ;)

Quote by hansenator:
" Is this common?"

It is far more common than in the era of steel bikes. It used to be the very small bikes 54 CM and smaller 'might' have what was then then called "Toe Clip Overlap"...now shortened to just "Toe Overlap" after we all ditched the toe clips. Some builders of frames for short people and female riders proudly proclaimed their geometry had designed toe clip overlap out of their products.

I ride 'medium' and 'large' size carbon frames that have toe overlap. It results in wear on shoe covers and shoes and shoe weird moments during slow turns and starts in parking lots.

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like it's common enough. It's not usually a problem during normal riding. I tried fenders but I kept kicking the front one so it had to come off.

Originally Posted by danfoz

Nothing a case of severe frostbite can't facilitate. Just leave the wool socks at home on yer next soiree up K2 in lieu of a nice pair made of cotton... the touch, the (lack of) feel, the fabric of our lives ;)
Or wear boots that are too tight.