Foot numbness 2+ hr rides

twistedneck

Apr 13, 2004
Hi this is my first post here. What a great board.

I've started base training and noticed any ride over 2hrs. causes my toes to go numb, eventually the front half of my right foot by 3.5 hrs. left is also numb but only about 1/2 as bad.

I have shimano carbon sole now but this also happened with my old carnac shoes. is it circulation or a nerve issue? should i just switch to a soft sole shoe? recomendations? i was ok with the old 90's type shimano shoe.

help needed.

This could be a lot of things. One thing to remember is that your feet swell over time. You may need to loosen your shoes.

Also, try standing periodically, it will help some circulation to your legs and feet.

Originally posted by sandiegosteve
This could be a lot of things. One thing to remember is that your feet swell over time. You may need to loosen your shoes.

Also, try standing periodically, it will help some circulation to your legs and feet.

I agree with you. I had the same symptom but after loosening my shoes it helped a lot. Also cold weather made my feet numb.

Sandiegosteve, thanks for the idea. I thought the same thing but my carnac shoes that also caused this problem were very loose on my feet.

Could this have something to do with lack of padding on the insole? maybe i have some nerve on my foot that is in the wrong spot for cycling.

My shoes are so loose at the start of a ride that they feel too big. By the time I am warmed up, they are nice. There are laces inside with Velcro over them. I barely tie the laces and adjust with the Velcro. I often adjust during rides.

Temperature makes a difference. And, like you speculate, I think the insole does too.

My shoes are "custom" carbon ones I bought off a guy. So they are super stiff and designed to have custom insoles. That was too much for me, so I got some stock ones from the drug store. I did an upgrade at some point to better off-the-shelf ones, and that helped.

Very thin socks seem to help me too.

At 2+ hrs, you might just have to deal with it. Unclip and shake your leg out. Stop and stretch, or figure out some stretches on the bike. I do that a lot too.

All that said, I am by no means an expert. Just hoping to help.

Cheers to good riding this weekend.

Steve

Hi, twistedneck.

Where do you think the numbness originates from? I mean, does it seem to start from a toe, and spread backwards? Or does it swallow the sole of your foot slowly from the ball? Is it the whole darn thing at once? Heel? Top?

I'm not a foot expert either; just playing detective.

I know that when I'm working on a trainer, but rarely on the road, I get a numbness that seems to built on the sole of my foot from just behind the first few toes, not far from where the pedal cleat would be positioned. Again, this happens almost exclusively while I'm on a rear wheel trainer, with the same shoes and pedals I'd use outdoors. There's clearly something to be said for the subtle ergonomics and biomechanics of cycling, no?

Have you considered experiementing with a flexier sole? You indicate that this problem is common with your carbon Shimanos, but also occured with your old Carnacs -- were they particularly stiff, or would you consider them softer-soled?

If you experienced the same problem with two pairs of shoes using the same pedals, you may want to consider trying a different type of pedal too. It could be that the pedals themselves are putting pressure on a spot on your feet, which is causing them to go numb. You said you didn't have the problem with "the old 90's type Shimano shoe". Were you using the same pedals with those shoes? If you were and your feet weren't going numb, I'd tried to find a shoe with the same type of sole/fit as those old Shimano ones. Good luck!

Originally posted by twistedneck
I've started base training and noticed any ride over 2hrs. causes my toes to go numb, eventually the front half of my right foot by 3.5 hrs. left is also numb but only about 1/2 as bad.

help needed.

You've got me beat by about an hour.... :) Both of my feet get numb about 60 minutes into my commute. I agree with the loose shoe method; it seems to help but makes things a bit precarious while I'm warming up. Standing on the pedals and coasting for about 10 seconds usually puts my feet right. Back on the road!

Originally posted by twistedneck
Hi this is my first post here. What a great board.

I have shimano carbon sole now but this also happened with my old carnac shoes. is it circulation or a nerve issue? should i just switch to a soft sole shoe? recomendations? i was ok with the old 90's type shimano shoe.

help needed.

"Conformable" footbeds in your shoes may help - Carnac sell them under their brand, but only include them in their very high end shoes - they're a footbed that conforms/molds to the shape of your foot after a few rides, giving better support in the shoe - They're kind of like the molding footbeds used in skiboots. Set in each of a pair of look, carnac and shimano shoes, and my foot numbness problems have resolved.

Thanks Arm Chair and MisterXTR.. I'm going to pick up a pair of pearl I's and look for the special footbeds. I think it could be my seat binding my inner thigh artery too.. as this condition seems to lessen when i'm standing on the pedals. I'll update this thread. TW

Originally posted by MisterXTR
You've got me beat by about an hour.... :) Both of my feet get numb about 60 minutes into my commute. I agree with the loose shoe method; it seems to help but makes things a bit precarious while I'm warming up. Standing on the pedals and coasting for about 10 seconds usually puts my feet right. Back on the road!

Me too. My feet hurt alot on long rides. Actually, I can start feeling it after about an hour. I don't know if anyone gets this either, but after a long ride and I get home, I can barely walk my feet hurt so bad.

In theory the very stiff carbon sole can numb your feet. (what material were the carnac soles in?
Number two, what pedals do you use? Small ones like Shimano spd,Crankbrothers,zerolites,orbs and so on, can press through the sole and create numbness although a stiff carbon sole like you have should prevent that... I´ve experienced numbness in cold wearher, tightening my shoes too much and when using small spd pedals on spinner bikes.

Small ones like Shimano spd,Crankbrothers,zerolites,orbs and so on, can press through the sole and create numbness although a stiff carbon sole like you have should prevent that...

road = speedplay
mtn. = time

All my shoe's had a carbon sole with minimal padding. I just ordered some 04 Pearl Izumi's. They are nice and soft and fit me well. There is a hockey insole that has special pads to disperse pressure. I'll use that if the stock PI sole isn't working.

Update. I have a new pair of Perl Izumi's w/ nylon sole. They are comfy and have more room. I've also moved my cleat back just behind the ball of foot.

I have a new seat, very different 'cut out' type seat.

I'm feeling good but guess what. Same thing, foot goes numb after 1.5 - 2.0 hrs. made MUCH worse by the cold weather.

So i just have poor circulation to my feet? right foot is much worse. This leads me to believe its an impingement of some sort and i'm trying a new sole.

cold weather making it worse, is this nerve or blood flow related? it was very cold and my hands were also getting numb (cold + wet and soaked for 3hrs!).

TW

i have same problem, just in left foot - very annoying, and have thrown lots of money at it, but never goes away. good luck with yours, I've given up trying to fix mine and just rest when it happens.

I had chronic numbness with spd -r's. I just got a set of spd-sl's, and guess what? no more numbness!