Foot Numbness and Tingling

mikedmonds

May 13, 2004
Around six months ago I stumped my toe really bad on the beadpost at night. My doctor ex-rayed it, and said that nothing was broken; but ever since, on long rides that foot goes numb, tingles, and is mildly painful. If I ride a lot, it stays that way between rides to some degree. Do you think this is anything to worry about? I don't want to curtail riding, but I want it to get better too!

Thanks! :)

My feet swell a little bit during a ride. Is it possible that your shoes are getting a little too tight? Are you using toe clips (straps) which might be putting pressure on the side of your foot?

I think he's got it, the answer is wider shoes.. Mine are too tight after 6 months too... want some cheap SH-M038 size 10/45.. :)

I had experienced pain in my right foot during long rides while training for a century; desparate that I would not survive, I thought my shoes were to narrow to allow for expansion so I ordered shoes that were advertised as being available in a wide size. This solved my problem for the century and for riding for the 2 yrs since. From some research later I have arriived that I have a condition called Morton's Neuroma (do a google). I have also had to sideline other shoes I have that make the condition show up, including my new hiking boots and golf shoes. I spoke to a retired podiatrist friend who seemed to confirm what I had, told me to simply find shoes that work, warned me that many podiatrists will set you up for surgery right away, so be careful if this is what you think you may have.
Cheers.