Foot Numbness: Some relief found

Rorschandt

Guest
I started getting foot tingling, and eventually numbness and pain, with my first bent. It was a low
BB Linear CLWB, so BB height had little if anything to do with it. I attribute it to not wearing
stiff soled cycling shoes at the time, and I was riding about three times as far as I did on my
MTB. After the initial damage was done, even cycling shoes did not seem to make a difference. The
past 1 1/2 years I have gotten tingling in my left foot about 15-20 minutes into riding, and the
right foot begins tingling shortly after. The sensation becomes quite irritating and nearly painful
after an hour.

Yesterday, I put Pro-tec Metatarsal Lifts on my Shimano sandals. Placement is kind of left to the
imagination by the package instructions, so I found website info on Morton's Neuroma that mentioned
placement being just behind the ball of the foot. Tingling didn't set in until about an hour and 15
minutes. A big improvement! The right foot didn't start tingling until I came home, about an hour
and 45 minutes of riding, and it was greatly reduced in intensity. I got the pads from the
Roadrunner catalogue,the website is http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/metatarsal_lift.htm . I bought
the large, because sizing info was inadequate in the printed catalogue. I now see that the medium is
recommended for my shoe size. /^: Dr Scholl's makes some gel "Ball of Foot" pads which I may try in
my walking shoes to help minimize the ongoing irritation which keeps the whole thing going.

The numbness isn't gone, but is much better. I hope this helps others with the ongoing problem.

Happy trails, Rorschandt
--
<A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

Originally posted by Rorschandt
Yesterday, I put Pro-tec Metatarsal Lifts on my Shimano sandals.

Thank you for the information. I experienced foot numbness for the first time yesterday (I have a HepCat) and I wear Shimano sandals. Perhaps I will try this solution before it gets any worse. It was strange - only my left foot was numb and then only the toes...

Anyway, thanks!

Rorschandt, how do you get them stay in place in the sandals [which is all ir use] and do they
stay in place?

bentbiker <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Rorschandt, how do you get them stay in place in the sandals [which is all ir use] and do they
> stay in place?

They are self adhesive. I do not know if the adhesive will last, as I have only ridden with them in
place twice now, and had to adjust the position (stick and un-stick) twice. Eventually I may have to
use glue. There may be other brands that stick better, but I think they are worth a try.

Rorschandt

--

PreciousBbird <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Rorschandt wrote:
> > Yesterday, I put Pro-tec Metatarsal Lifts on my Shimano sandals.
>

> Thank you for the information. I experienced foot numbness for the first time yesterday (I have a
> HepCat) and I wear Shimano sandals. Perhaps I will try this solution before it gets any worse. It
> was strange - only my left foot was numb and then only the toes...
>
> Anyway, thanks!

Not strange, very common with recumbents. I have yet to find anyone who does not get some sort of
toe numbness or tingling, even with very low BB bikes. This is the one very irritating thing with
recumbent bikes. I am going to try the metatarsal inserts also. Marci

Marci,

> I have yet to find anyone who does not get some sort of toe numbness or tingling, even with very
> low BB bikes. This is the one very irritating thing with recumbent bikes.

The majority of people have no problem with numb feet. The percentage I see mentioned (10-25%) is
probably skewed, because most people get interested in recumbents due to physical problems in the
first place!

Warren

[email protected] (Warren Berger) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Marci,
>
> > I have yet to find anyone who does not get some sort of toe numbness or tingling, even with very
> > low BB bikes. This is the one very irritating thing with recumbent bikes.
>
> The majority of people have no problem with numb feet. The percentage I see mentioned (10-25%) is
> probably skewed, because most people get interested in recumbents due to physical problems in the
> first place!
>
> Warren

Hi Warren: You are probably right. I probably just happen to have spoken with those who do have the
problem. My husband is very athletic with no physical problems and he gets it. Also, all those in
our area who ride recumbents get it. But, I realize this is a very small sample. Sometimes when I
have asked someone about it they say, "I never thought about it but now that you mention it, I do
get some numbness." It would be interesting to take a poll to see how many people actually do get
the tinglies or numbness. marci

rorschandt

Thanks for the info. Here is my experience. When I change shoes I often have "new" problems. Mostly
cramping cause of my verrrrry flat feet. I have said before I have a large bag of Dr. Nearly
Everybody who makes em' shoe inserts.These look ..well interesting.

Inc 1-800-586-6645 "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I started getting foot tingling, and eventually numbness and pain, with my first bent. It was
> a low BB Linear CLWB, so BB height had little if anything to do with it. I attribute it to
> not wearing stiff soled cycling shoes at the time, and I was riding about three times as far
> as I did on
my
> MTB. After the initial damage was done, even cycling shoes did not seem to make a difference. The
> past 1 1/2 years I have gotten tingling in my left foot about 15-20 minutes into riding, and the
> right foot begins tingling shortly after. The sensation becomes quite irritating and nearly
> painful after an hour.
>
> Yesterday, I put Pro-tec Metatarsal Lifts on my Shimano sandals. Placement is kind of left to the
> imagination by the package instructions, so I found website info on Morton's Neuroma that
> mentioned placement being just
behind
> the ball of the foot. Tingling didn't set in until about an hour and 15 minutes. A big
> improvement! The right foot didn't start tingling until I came home, about an hour and 45 minutes
> of riding, and it was greatly reduced in intensity. I got the pads from the Roadrunner
> catalogue,the website is http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/metatarsal_lift.htm . I bought the large,
> because sizing info was inadequate in the printed catalogue. I now see
that
> the medium is recommended for my shoe size. /^: Dr Scholl's makes some gel "Ball of Foot" pads
> which I may try in my walking shoes to help minimize the ongoing irritation which keeps the
whole
> thing going.
>
> The numbness isn't gone, but is much better. I hope this helps others with the ongoing problem.
>
> Happy trails, Rorschandt
> --
> <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

Here was my solution; I bought a set of "Big Masher" ATB pedals from Nashbar. These are wide
platform ATB pedals. I outfitted them with power Grips and I wear an old pair ofPerformance touring
shoes that I have had for twenty years. It helped!

rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I started getting foot tingling, and eventually numbness and pain, with my first bent.

I, too, used to get the hot foot that everyone talks about. Fortunately, for my last couple of
(90+km) rides it's been completely absent. Learning not to overtighten my cycling shoes helped a
lot, and I think remembering to keep my toes relaxed in the shoe made the final difference. I've
also been doing exercises for sciatica this year, and that might be helping, too.

Morgan.