Foot pain caused by old shoes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BiggMakk, Jun 22, 2010.

1. BiggMakk

BiggMakk New Member

I've started developing a painful, dull throbbing on the outside of my right foot. It's affecting my peddling ability and making long rides miserable.

I have feet shaped like flounders: very flat, wide, thin with narrow heels. I currently wear Sidi Mega.

The pain became worse when I switched to a higher cadence pedaling style. I try to be as smooth as possible using as full of a rotation as I can. May be this is somehow stressing my foot bones.

My shoes, which are about 3 years old, seem to look misshapen when I pedal. May be my shoes are too and the structure is braking down. However it's only affecting the right foot. The left foot feels fine.

I look forward to comments.

Tags:

2. WinkWink726

WinkWink726 New Member

It's kinda scary to do what I'm going to suggest, because we all know that in the back of your mind you're thinking "They're just gonna try to sell me something"...
    BUT, maybe consider checkin in @ your local bike shop to see if your shoes have broken down?

Get up on their tester bike in your shoes and pedal for a while and see what they're on-hand expert thinks.

Maybe its just the shoe?
    with a dull pain, maybe you oughta go to the doctor as well.
    Maybe you have a ligament issue or a bruised bone somehow?

Either way, I hope whatever ails you comes to light and gets rectified! ;)

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Sounds like you may have a shoe fit problem. It could be the last shape, the insole shape, yada yada yada.

4. coalcoal

coalcoal New Member

Bad shoes are what many foot injuries have in common. Bad shoes, according to the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, are to blame for about 90 percent of all foot problems.

No matter what type of shoe you're wearing, a bad shoe is one that does not fit properly, has lost its shape, causes pain or rubbing, or is worn unevenly. Bad shoes cause foot and ankle problems. But they can cause leg and back problems, too.

To get a good fit for any type of shoe:

• Buy shoes at the end of the day, after work or exercise, when your feet are at their largest. If you buy shoes earlier in the day, they may be too tight.

• Measure both feet and fit your shoe to the largest one, since your feet aren't both the same size.

• Make sure you can wiggle your toes. If you can't, the fit is too tight. Also make sure the widest part of your foot is comfortable but secure.

• Walk around the store to see if the shoes are comfortable. Never buy shoes without first trying them on, and don't assume they will get comfortable with wear. If they don't feel good when you try them on, don't buy them.

• Try on shoes with the socks you plan to wear with them.

• When the shoe is on and you're standing up, make sure you can fit the width of your little finger between your heel and the back of the shoe -- no more and no less.

• If your heel slides in the shoe as you walk, the shoe doesn't fit.

• Don't let anyone tell you the shoe will stretch. Good shoes fit properly when you buy them.

• And, no matter how much you're attached to your closet full of comfortable old shoes, toss them in the trash when they are worn out and get new ones.