foot pain

david462

Apr 3, 2006
ive been riding over a year now mostly for exercise and enjoyment.

ive always had foot pain when riding. its mostly towards the outside of each foot.

i wear sidi genious5 shoes.

i use lookp357 (something like that).

my legs may be a little differently shaped as far as alignment goes...after i was born i had to wear a bar between my feet cus my feet were turned inward...

when i put my leg down strait with my foot flat on the ground and pointing inline with my leg, my knees face inward a little.

anyways, hopefully thats not too much information but i think what might fix my foot problem is either a wider platform pedal, or i think i may just need a different shaped sole...one that will give my foot more support on the outsides....

(it feels like my feet are angled in a way that i am putting some of the pressure towards the outside of my feet instead of all the pressure down flat. could possibly be that there is too much arch support towards the inside of the shoe which makes my feet angle like that)

so i want to try doing something with the shoes first...i dont think a different pair will help cause this is my second different pair and it happened with the first as well...

is there a certain sole that i can buy that will have that elevated support towards the outside of the shoe?

any other tips/opinions?

david462 said:
ive been riding over a year now mostly for exercise and enjoyment.

ive always had foot pain when riding. its mostly towards the outside of each foot.

i wear sidi genious5 shoes.

i use lookp357 (something like that).

my legs may be a little differently shaped as far as alignment goes...after i was born i had to wear a bar between my feet cus my feet were turned inward...

when i put my leg down strait with my foot flat on the ground and pointing inline with my leg, my knees face inward a little.

anyways, hopefully thats not too much information but i think what might fix my foot problem is either a wider platform pedal, or i think i may just need a different shaped sole...one that will give my foot more support on the outsides....

(it feels like my feet are angled in a way that i am putting some of the pressure towards the outside of my feet instead of all the pressure down flat. could possibly be that there is too much arch support towards the inside of the shoe which makes my feet angle like that)

so i want to try doing something with the shoes first...i dont think a different pair will help cause this is my second different pair and it happened with the first as well...

is there a certain sole that i can buy that will have that elevated support towards the outside of the shoe?

any other tips/opinions?
You sound like a good candidate for Lemond Wedges: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Wedge+Shims&vendorCode=BIKEFIT&major=5&minor=6

custom orthotics or both.

well actually the thing im worried about with those wedges is that it seems like for me i would place the wedge toward the inside, but my thinking before was that i need the outside of my foot to be elevated.

Make sure your shoes are too tight.

Overly tight shoes will cause pain on the outside of the foot - at least, it does for me in my cycling shoes and my hockey skates.

I use half sole orthotics and if I ride the bike withouit them the right foot goes numb on the outside. The orthotic raises the instep on the inside and that fixes the pain.
You sound like a good candidate for the custom insoles. Go see a podiatrist.
Halcyon1

I had a similar pain all year. Like you I ride Sidi Genius 5 Mega. The bike fitter lowered my seat so that I could push down with my whole foot level to the ground spreading my weight across the entire shoe. Stopped the pain instantly. I think the pain comes when we try to push down just with the balls of our feet...one of many possible cures. Good luck.

BiggMakk said:
I had a similar pain all year. Like you I ride Sidi Genius 5 Mega. The bike fitter lowered my seat so that I could push down with my whole foot level to the ground spreading my weight across the entire shoe. Stopped the pain instantly. I think the pain comes when we try to push down just with the balls of our feet...one of many possible cures. Good luck.
i need to look into that then.

i put 2 wedges in each and it did actually help but still get some pain.